County Executive Jack B. Johnson (D) is asking residents to contribute to the American Red Cross's Hurricane Katrina relief fund. Donations can be sent to PO Box 97089, Washington, D.C. 20090. In addition, the county's Web site, www.goprincegeorgescounty.com, has a link to donate via a site operated by Yahoo that benefits the Red Cross.
* A county hotline to help evacuees is 866-952-7426.
* The county's public school system also is soliciting funds for the Red Cross. Checks payable to Board of Education -- Katrina Disaster Relief may be mailed to Board of Education -- Katrina Disaster Relief, Assistant Treasurer's Office, Sasscer Administration Building, 14201 School Lane, Upper Marlboro, Md., 20772.
* Union Bethel AME Church is accepting donations of baby formula and diapers, money and toiletry items at two of its locations, 6810 Floral Park Rd., Brandywine, and 3231 Brinkley Rd., Temple Hills. Checks may be made payable to Union Bethel AME Church, with "Katrina" written on the memo line.
* The Prince George's County branch of the NAACP is collecting donations. Checks payable to NAACP Disaster Relief Fund may be mailed to NAACP, PO Box 74, Riverdale, Md., 20738. Those interested in volunteering for a relief phone bank can call 866-996-2227.
* Bowie High School students, parents and teachers are raising money through Sept. 30 at the school, 152300 Annapolis Rd. Students also will raise funds in carwashes from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday at AutoZone, 7755 Landover Rd., Landover, and Sept. 25 at the school.
-- Compiled by NICK ANDERSON