A Lanham man pleaded guilty this month to murdering a popular youth basketball coach in front of the coach's 11-year-old son following a traffic accident in Riverdale in February.

On Sept. 7, Lawrence I. Green, 22, pleaded guilty to first-degree felony murder of Robert Lee Gail, 41. On Aug. 9, Green's co-defendant, Byron Israel, 19, of Northeast Washington, pleaded guilty to first-degree felony murder.

Gail, a Metrobus driver who lived in New Carrollton with his wife, Stacey, and their three children, was fatally shot on Riverdale Road at about 7 p.m. Feb. 14. Gail was shot after his the Toyota 4Runner he was driving collided with a stolen Chevy Blazer that Green and Israel were in.

Prince George's State's Attorney Glenn F. Ivey said he and Gail's family were pleased with the guilty pleas.

"The 11-year-old won't have to testify and relive the horror," Ivey said. "That was a big issue for the family. It was as good a result as we could get."

Gail's murder was the culmination of a violent crime spree by Green and Israel. The violence began in a home in the 6400 block of Carrollton Court, according to statements of facts that Green and Israel have both admitted to in court.

Just before the encounter with Gail, Green and Israel went to the home on Carrollton Court. Green and Israel knew some of the people who lived in the home, according to the statements of fact.

This is what happened next, Green and Israel admitted: At the home, Green brandished a handgun, and he and Israel duct-taped a 22-year-old woman and her 17-year-old sister and demanded money or an ATM card and a PIN .

A man named Timothy Leech, heard noises and came up from the basement, and Green shot at him and missed. Leech tried to run, but Israel and Green grabbed him. Green shot a second time, grazing Leech in the head. Leech ran again, and Green fired a third time, missing again.

Green demanded keys to a vehicle from the two bound women, and one of them told him where to get the keys to her Chevy Blazer.

Green and Israel drove off. They had traveled less than a mile when Green, who was driving, crashed into the back of Gail's sport-utility vehicle at a stop sign. Green drove around the SUV and sped away. Gail followed for about a half-mile and the two vehicles collided again.

All three men -- Gail, Green, and Israel -- got out of their vehicles. Israel and Gail struggled; Israel fell to the ground, while Gail remained on his feet. Israel got up and ran, and Green fired two shots at Gail. One struck him in the torso, killing him.

Circuit Court Judge Richard H. Sothoron Jr. is scheduled to sentence Green on Oct. 6. Under the terms of Green's plea agreement, prosecutors agreed not to ask for a sentence of life without parole, Ivey said. Green could be sentenced to life in prison with the possibility of parole.

Israel is scheduled to be sentenced Sept. 22. The terms of his plea agreement call for a 20-year sentence, Ivey said.

In an unrelated case, a Prince George's grand jury has indicted a young man for murdering a pizza deliveryman and trying to rob a second pizza deliveryman just before midnight July 7.

James F. Creasman Jr., 21, of Clinton is charged with first-degree murder, robbery with a deadly weapon, illegal use of a handgun, armed carjacking and other crimes in connection with the fatal shooting of Shia Yu Hwang, authorities said.

Hwang, 46, of Suitland, was attacked as he delivered a pizza in the Camp Springs area. Prince George's police found him lying dead in the street shortly after midnight at Allentown and Loch Haven roads, about 11/2 miles west of Andrews Air Force Base. His car, a gold-colored 2004 Honda Civic, was missing.

A Domino's driver, who spoke on condition that he not be named because he feared losing his job, said Domino's received a phone order from a new customer to deliver a pizza to a house a few blocks off Allentown Road. Hwang arrived at a house that was apparently abandoned, and was robbed and shot, the driver said. Hwang's car was found abandoned and burned not far from where his body was found, the driver said.

The grand jury also indicted Creasman on a charge of attempted armed robbery and a handgun violation for allegedly trying to rob another pizza deliveryman the same night.

State's Attorney Glenn F. Ivey said he was pleased with the guilty pleas.