SQUARE DANCES -- 7:30-9:30 p.m. tomorrow. First, third and fifth Fridays of each month, presented by the Southern Merry-Landers Square Dance Club. John Hanson Middle School, 12350 Vivian Adams Dr., Waldorf. $5.50; $4, members. 301-893-1974.
SQUARE DANCES -- Regular club square dances, 7:30-9:30 p.m. Fridays. Classes, 7:30 p.m. Tuesdays. Classes presented by the Aqua Squares Dance Club. Southern Community Center, 20 Appeal Lane, Lusby. 410-586-3587 or 301-373-2207.
"A TRIBUTE TO GLENN MILLER" -- 8 p.m. Saturday. The Brooks Tegler Orchestra performs a tribute to the World War II military band leader in the first show of the Performing Arts Series, presented by GFWC Woman's Club of St. Mary's County. Great Mills High School, 21130 Great Mills Rd., Great Mills. $70 for series tickets; $20 for individual programs; $15 for individual programs for ages 15 and younger. 301-475-3225.
"LITTLE HANDS, BIG CREATIONS" -- 10:30-11:30 a.m. tomorrow. Ages 2 to 12 play with sidewalk chalk and pudding paint. Parents are advised to dress their children and themselves in old clothes. Adult participation is required. Southern Community Center, 20 Appeal Lane, Lusby. Free. 410-586-1101.
SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS PARTY -- 10:30-11:30 a.m. tomorrow. Ages 2 to 6 join a themed party with a SpongeBob craft, a coloring contest, games and a seashell treasure hunt. Southern Community Center, 20 Appeal Lane, Lusby. $6 per child. 410-586-1101.
ICE CREAM CONE AND CRAFT -- Noon-1:15 p.m. tomorrow. Ages 2 to 6 celebrate the ice-cream cone's birthday by making a craft and then having a frosty treat. Southern Community Center, 20 Appeal Lane, Lusby. $5 per child. 410-586-1101.
FALL PRESCHOOL STORYTIMES -- Free program at Charles County public libraries for ages 2 to 5.
* 10 a.m., 11 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. Tuesday. Potomac Branch library, 3225 Ruth B. Swann Dr., Indian Head. 301-375-7375.
* 10 a.m., 11 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. Wednesday. P.D. Brown Branch library, 50 Village St., Waldorf. 301-645-2864.
* 10 and11 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. Thursday. La Plata Branch library, 2 Garrett Ave., La Plata. 301-934-9001.
BABY STEPS STORY TIMES -- Free program at St. Mary's County public libraries for ages 12 months to 2 years. www.stmalib.org.
* 9:30 a.m., Tuesday. Charlotte Hall library, 37600 New Market Rd., Charlotte Hall. 301-884-2211.
* 9:15 a.m. Monday. Lexington Park library, 21677 FDR Blvd., Lexington Park. 301-863-8188.
* 10 a.m. Monday. Leonardtown library, 23250 Hollywood Rd., Leonardtown. 301-475-2846.
TODDLER STORY TIMES -- Free program at St. Mary's public libraries. Music is used to encourage audience participation. Ages 1-21/2 years. 301-475-2846 or www.stmalib.org/kprog.html.
* 10 a.m. and 10:30 a.m. Tuesday, Charlotte Hall library, 37600 New Market Rd., Charlotte Hall. 301-884-2211.
* 9:45 a.m. and 10:30 a.m. Monday, Lexington Park library, 21677 FDR Blvd., Lexington Park. 301-863-8188.
* 10:30 a.m. Monday and 10 a.m. Wednesday, Leonardtown library, 23250 Hollywood Rd., Leonardtown. 301-475-2846.
PRESCHOOL STORYTIME -- Free program at St. Mary's public libraries.
* 10 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. Wednesday, Charlotte Hall library, 37600 New Market Rd., Charlotte Hall. 301-884-2211.
* 10:30 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. Wednesday, Leonardtown library, 23250 Hollywood Rd., Leonardtown. 301-475-2846.
* 10:30 a.m. and 1:15 p.m. Thursday. Lexington Park library, 21677 FDR Blvd., Lexington Park. 301-863-8188.
CUDDLE UP AND READ TO ME -- For up to age 2, to develop basic language skills. Adult must accompany child. www.calvert.lib.md.us.
* 9:15-9:35 a.m. Tuesday and Wednesday. Prince Frederick library, 30 Duke St., Prince Frederick. 301-855-1862 or 410-535-0291.
* 9:30-9:50 a.m. Tuesday. Fairview Branch library, 8120 Southern Maryland Blvd., Owings. 410-257-2101.
* 9:45-10:05 a.m. Wednesday. Southern Branch library, 20 Appeal Lane, Lusby. 410-326-5289.
* 9:15-9:35 a.m. Wednesday. Twin Beaches Branch library, 3819 Harbor Rd., Chesapeake Beach, 410-257-2411.
2- TO 3-YEAR-OLD STORY TIME -- Designed to improve listening skills and group activity. Children will also make a craft. www.calvert.lib.md.us.
* 9:45-10:15 a.m. Tuesday and Wednesday. Prince Frederick library, 30 Duke St., Prince Frederick. 301-855-1862 or 410-535-0291.
* 10-10:30 a.m. Tuesday. Fairview Branch library, 8120 Southern Maryland Blvd., Owings. 410-257-2101.
* 10-10:30 Tuesday; 10:15-10:45 a.m. and 11-11:30 a.m. Wednesday. Southern Branch library, 20 Appeal Lane, Lusby. 410-326-5289.
* 11-11:30 a.m. Wednesday. Twin Beaches Branch library, 3819 Harbor Rd., Chesapeake Beach. 410-257-2411.
4- TO 5-YEAR-OLD STORY TIME -- Designed with emphasis on skills the child will need to prepare to attend school. www.calvert.lib.md.us.
* 1-1:45 p.m. Tuesday and Wednesday. Prince Frederick library, 30 Duke St., Prince Frederick. 301-855-1862 or 410-535-0291.
* 1-1:45 p.m. Tuesday. Fairview Branch library, 8120 Southern Maryland Blvd., Owings. 410-257-2101.
* 1-1:45 p.m. Tuesday. Southern Branch library, 20 Appeal Lane, Lusby. 410-326-5289.
* 1-1:45 p.m. Wednesday. Twin Beaches Branch library, 3819 Harbor Rd., Chesapeake Beach. 410-257-2411.
FAMILY STORY TIME -- Free program offered by Calvert County Public Libraries to families with children up to age 5. Children also make crafts and must be accompanied by an adult. 410-535-0291. www.calvert.lib.md.us.
* 11-11:45 a.m. Tuesday; 9:30-10:15 a.m. Saturday. Fairview Branch library, 8120 Southern Maryland Blvd., Owings. 410-257-2101.
* 10:30-11:15 a.m. Tuesday and Wednesday; 9:30-10:15 a.m. Saturday. Prince Frederick library, 30 Duke St., Prince Frederick. 301-855-1862 or 410-535-0291.
* 10:45-11:30 a.m. Tuesday; 10-10:45 a.m. Saturday. Southern Branch library, 20 Appeal Lane, Lusby. 410-326-5289.
* 10-10:45 a.m. and 4-4:45 p.m. Tuesday; 9:30-10:15 a.m. Saturday. Twin Beaches Branch library, 3819 Harbor Rd., Chesapeake Beach. 410-257-2411.
In the Schools
SUPERINTENDENT'S ART GALLERY -- 8 a.m.-4 p.m. Mondays-Fridays. Displays of St. Mary's County student artwork. St. Mary's County public schools central administration building, 23160 Moakley St., Leonardtown. 301-475-5511, Ext. 112.
"LAND, SEA AND SKY" -- 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Thursdays-Sundays, through Wednesday. Features local artists Gary Jameson's drawings and other works and Colleen Sabo's watercolors. Artworks@7th, Seventh Street and Bay Avenue, North Beach. 410-286-5278.
ALAN PAGANHARDT -- 9 a.m.-8 p.m. Monday through Thursday, 11 a.m.-5 p.m. Friday, 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Saturday and 1-5 p.m. Sunday, through mid-October. The Drayden artist displays his acrylics in the art gallery space of the Lexington Park library, 21677 FDR Blvd., Lexington Park. Free. 301-863-6693.
PASSAGES -- 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday-Friday. Roughly 1,550 square feet of fabric was used to make painted panels festooned around the garden, They were completed by more than 500 community members and inspired by Christo's "The Gates," last year's installation in New York's Central Park. Annmarie Garden, 13480 Dowell Rd., Solomons. 410-326-4640 or www.annmariegarden.org.
"HORSIN' AND PAINTING AROUND THE WORLD" -- 11 a.m.-4 p.m. Friday-Sunday, through Oct. 9. Mattawoman Creek artist Mary Sokol displays travel and horse paintings. Mattawoman Creek Art Center, Smallwood State Park, Route 224, Marbury. 301-743-5159 or www.mattawomanart.org.
CRAZY CORN MAZE -- 11 a.m.-dusk Saturday and Sunday, through Nov. 30. A corn maze, hayride, farm animals, picnic area and local produce. Weekdays by appointment. Forrest Hall Farm, 39136 Avie Lane, Mechanicsville. $6; children younger than 3, free. 301-884-3086 or www.forresthallfarm.com.
GREENWELL FOUNDATION 5K -- Saturday; 7-8 a.m. registration; 8:15 a.m., runners start; 8:20 a.m., walkers start. 5K run and 2K fun walk held to benefit the foundation's Therapeutic Horseback Riding Program, which helps people with special needs. Greenwell State Park, 25420 Rosedale Manor Lane, Hollywood. $20 per person; T-shirts provided for the first 100 entrants. 301-373-9775.
WAR OF 1812 REENACTMENT -- 10 a.m.- 5 p.m. Saturday. A commemoration of the historic battle of St. Leonard Creek with living history and traditional crafts. David Healey will sign copies of his book, "1812: Rediscovering Chesapeake Bay's Forgotten War." Jefferson Patterson Park and Museum, 10515 Mackall Rd., St. Leonard. $3 per person or $10 per car. 410-586-8501.
KATRINA DISASTER RELIEF BENEFIT SHOW -- 7 p.m. Saturday. Magician Brian Garner performs with music by Eileen Korn and Scarborough Fair. All proceeds go to hurricane relief funds. White Plains Baptist Church, 8470 Marshall Corner Rd., Pomfret. $5 admission; free for ages 10 and younger. 240-441-6133 or www.benefitshow.org.
CIVISTA AUTUMN WINE TASTING -- 5-9 p.m. Saturday. Sample wines at culinary cuisine stations, attend wine seminars by connoisseurs and take home some vino at the silent auction and wine boutique. Port Tobacco Courthouse, 8400 Chapel Point Rd., Port Tobacco. $50 per person; $30 designated driver tickets. 301-609-4132.
NANJEMOY HERITAGE DAY -- 11 a.m.-4 p.m. Saturday. Parade, performance by the Smith Tucker Band, children's crafts, face painting, moon bounce, displays by area artists, classic cars, local heritage exhibitions and other special events to celebrate the 10th anniversary of the community center. Nanjemoy Community Center, 4375 Port Tobacco Rd., Nanjemoy. Free. 301-246-9612 or 301-609-7639.
SCREEN ON THE GREEN -- 7:30 p.m. tomorrow. Outdoor screening of the movie "E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial" on the La Plata Town Hall lawn, 5 Garrett Ave., La Plata. Free. 301-934-8421 or 301-870-3377 or www.townoflaplata.org.
PORT TOBACCO PLAYERS AUDITIONS -- 10 a.m. Oct. 1 and 7 p.m. Oct. 3. Two women and men in their 70s or 80s, a man in his 30s and a woman in her late-20s are sought for the production of the comedy "Over the River and Through the Woods." Port Tobacco Players Theatre, 508 Charles St., La Plata. Participants should be prepared with one of the selected monologues, which can be found on the Players' Web site www.ptplayers.com or can be obtained by calling 301-932-6819.
U.S. NAVY BAND PERFORMANCE -- 8 p.m. Oct. 1. Free show at the College of Southern Maryland, Fine Arts Center, 8730 Mitchell Rd., La Plata. 202-433-2525 or www.navyband.navy.mil.
SPAGHETTI DINNER -- 4-8 p.m. Sept. 30. Includes salad, bread and butter, iced tea and coffee. American Legion Post 82, 6330 Crain Hwy., La Plata. $7 per person; free for children younger than 5. Donations to support victims of Hurricane Katrina can be made at the dessert table. Parking available behind the Charles County Courthouse, with shuttle service to the American Legion Post. 301-934-8221.
KATRINA BENEFIT TEXAS HOLD 'EM TOURNAMENT -- 4 p.m. registration; 5 p.m. play begins. Oct. 8. Poker tournament to benefit victims of Hurricane Katrina. Maximum playing time is four hours per player. First through 10th place finishers will be paid. Food and beverages available for purchase; beverages must be consumed on premises. American Legion Post 82, 6330 Crain Hwy., La Plata. $150 buy-in; no second buy-ins permitted. Seats are limited to 150 people. 301-934-8221 or 301-932-1399.
TRIPS FROM CHARLES COUNTY -- Sponsored by the Charles County Department of Community Services. Reservations and advance payment required. Theater, shopping trips and cruises. Contact the department for more information at 301-934-9305, 301-870-3388, Ext. 5151, www.charlescounty.org/cs, Maryland Relay Service 711 or TDD 800-735-2258.
TRIPS FROM CALVERT COUNTY -- Sponsored by the Calvert County Parks and Recreation Division. Registration and payment required before trip. Sightseeing, shopping and other trips. 410-586-1101.
* Saturday, antiques shopping. Departure at 6 a.m. from Southern Community Center and 6:30 a.m. from Sunderland Park and Ride. Visits to flea markets and antique shops in Adamstown, Pa. Adults only. $33.50 a person.
MOUNT CARMEL BENEFIT -- The Restorers of Mount Carmel group sponsors a series of coach trips to benefit the new building fund at Mount Carmel Monastery. 301-645-5203.
* Saturday. A trip to Frederick and Emmitsburg for the Saints and Sinners Tour. Includes transportation, dinner, show and driver gratuity. $90.
* Oct. 29. A trip to Richmond for the Virginia Christmas Show, with culinary demonstrations and holiday shopping opportunities. Includes transportation, admission, dinner and driver gratuity, $60.
* Nov. 30 and Dec. 1. An overnight trip to the Patti Page Christmas Show in Greensburg, Pa. Includes transportation, show, lodging, two breakfasts, two dinners and driver gratuity. Price varies according to lodging arrangements.
-- Compiled by MICHAEL TUNISON
To Submit an Item
Mail: Entertainment, Southern Maryland Extra, The Washington Post, 100 N. Oak Ave., La Plata, Md. 20646
Details: Send announcements and photos, noting the date, time, address and cost of the event, along with a phone number. The deadline is 14 days before publication. Events are listed as space permits.