Louis J. Serpa

Business Owner

Louis J. Serpa, 56, a businessman who possessed a passion for baseball, died Sept. 17 at Holy Cross Hospital after a heart attack that occurred while playing his favorite sport at Wheaton Regional Park. He had been a resident of Arlington since 1987.

Mr. Serpa, a business broker, was co-owner of one of Arlington's first Dunkin' Donuts shops and also owned a Mailboxes Etc. franchise.

Mr. Serpa was born on Sao Miguel, the largest island in the Azores, and immigrated to the Boston area in 1952. He graduated from Cornell University in 1971.

He came to the Washington area in 1973 and joined the Department of Health, Education and Welfare. In the late 1970s, he moved to the Department of Education, where he worked in the bilingual program office. In 1983, he left government for private business ventures.

He lived in Lagos, Nigeria, where his wife was assigned to the U.S. Embassy, from 1998 to 2001.

A lifelong baseball player, Mr. Serpa also was a coach, student of the game and "citizen" of Red Sox Nation. He was active in Arlington Babe Ruth baseball and the Baseball Boosters at Yorktown High School, where his son plays. In addition to coaching youth teams, he played in the over-48 Ponce de Leon Baseball League, as well as in the Northern Virginia Men's Senior Baseball League.

Survivors include his wife of 18 years, Nancy Morgan Serpa of Arlington; three children, Michael Serpa, Matthew Serpa and Kathleen Serpa, all of Arlington; his mother, Mary C. Serpa of Somerville, Mass.; seven sisters, Theresa Sareen of Oakton, Aurelia Rita of Seabrook, N.H., Mary Ghioni and Clara Serpa, both of Somerville, Margaret Kyriakakis of Fitchburg, Mass., Helen Emmett of Schenectady, N.Y., and Andrea Morrison of Lexington, Mass.; and a brother, Herb Serpa of Salem, N.H.

Charlotte M. Jones

President of Marine Wives Club

Charlotte McIndoe Jones, 84, a former president of the Marine Corps Officers' Wives Club in Alexandria and volunteer for the American Red Cross, died Sept. 20 at her home in Alexandria. She had congestive heart failure.

Mrs. Jones was born in Joplin, Mo., and raised in Kansas City, Mo. She attended the old Bradford College in Haverhill, Mass., and the University of Missouri.

Her first husband, Army Capt. Lee J. Talbott Jr., died in the battle of Leyte Gulf in the Pacific in 1944.

She married William K. Jones, a Marine Corps officer, in 1945. She accompanied him on his assignments before they settled in the Washington area in 1960. He retired as a lieutenant general. He died in 1998.

A son from her second marriage, Hugh M. Jones, died in a car accident in 1965.

Survivors include a daughter from her first marriage, Carol Hatton of Lawrence, Kan.; two sons from her second marriage, retired Marine Corps Lt. Col. William K. Jones Jr. of Alexandria and Charles "Chip" Jones of Richmond; 10 grandchildren; and four great-grandchildren.

Lana Miller


Lana Armiger Miller, 59, an Elkridge resident who spent many years as a beautician in Forestville, died Sept. 2 at Baltimore Washington Medical Center in Glen Burnie. She had chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.

Mrs. Miller, a Bethesda native, worked at such beauty shops as Fashion Coiffeurs and Diana's before rheumatoid arthritis ended her career about eight years ago.

Her marriages to Leonard Miller Jr. and Joe Creel ended in divorce.

Survivors include two sons from her first marriage, Leonard Miller III of Elkridge and John R. Miller of Clinton.