Albert Matthew DuPree


Albert Matthew DuPree, 73, who practiced dentistry for 46 years in Washington, died Sept. 12 of a heart attack at his home in the District.

Dr. DuPree was born in Roanoke and received a bachelor's degree from Johnson C. Smith University in North Carolina in 1952. He served in the Army for two years and began studies at Howard University's School of Dentistry. After completing his residency at Freedmen's Hospital, he was awarded a doctor of dental surgery degree in 1958.

He maintained a practice in Northeast Washington until his death. He belonged to several professional, community and social organizations, including the national and American dental associations, Omega Psi Phi fraternity and the Twelve Incorporated Social Club.

Dr. DuPress was known as "DuP." He loved music and learned to play the piano expertly without formal training. A diehard football fan, he never missed watching a Washington Redskins game, either at the stadium or on television. He enjoyed travel, dressing with flair and international cuisine as well as down-home cooking.

He was the consummate Inspector Gadget, family members said. He insisted on obtaining the latest cutting-edge electronics, from clocks to telephones to stereos.

His wife of 47 years, Bettyjane Samuel DuPree, died in January.

Survivors include a daughter, Tracy DuPree Davis of Burtonsville; a brother, Thomas B. DuPree of Roanoke; and a grandson.

Jay S. Winston

NOAA Meteorologist

Jay S. Winston, 84, who strove to understand and predict changes in the earth's winds and clouds to forecast the weather, died of pancreatic cancer Sept. 18 at his home in Chevy Chase.

Dr. Winston was the first director of what was then the Climate Analysis Center of the National Weather Service, a post he held from 1979 to 1982. The center, now the Climate Prediction Center, examines the impact of short-term climate variations and extreme weather events.

When his children were in college, he would call to warn them of storms that he said local forecasters underestimated. Even while ill, he tracked Hurricane Katrina's path and watched until it blew itself out.

He was born in Brooklyn, N.Y., and graduated from Brooklyn College.

During World War II, he served as a meteorologist in the Army Air Forces. He received a master's degree in 1947 and a doctoral degree in 1969, both from New York University.

He moved to Washington in 1947 to work for the National Weather Service, serving as a research meteorologist and forecaster at the extended-forecast section until 1958. He spent the next 10 years as chief of the planetary meteorology branch of the Meteorological Satellite Laboratory of the National Environmental Satellite Service, then became director of the laboratory.

After retiring from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Association in 1982, Dr. Winston turned to the University of Maryland's meteorology department, where he worked as a senior research associate until 1989.

His major interests focused on large-scale variations in atmospheric circulation and its heat sources over large portions of the globe. One result of those studies was some early new information about the cloudiness and wind variations of the important El Nino-Southern Oscillation phenomenon.

He was a fellow of the American Meteorological Society and secretary of the American Geophysical Union. His hobbies included travel, gardening, astronomy, Broadway musicals, classical music and opera. He also enjoyed daily walks with his dog.

Survivors include his wife of 62 years, Ruth C. Winston of Chevy Chase; two children, Joyce L. Winston of Kensington and Evan S. Winston of Chevy Chase; and a granddaughter.

Burton S. Kolko

Administrative Law Judge

Burton S. Kolko, 66, a longtime federal administrative law judge, died of kidney cancer Sept. 14 at Washington Adventist Hospital. He lived in Takoma Park.

Judge Kolko began his career as a lawyer with the Civil Aeronautics Board in 1964. In 1974, he was named an administrative law judge, specializing in regulatory matters. He also served as an administrative law judge with the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission and the National Labor Relations Board.

He joined the Department of Transportation as an administrative law judge in the late 1980s, then took a similar position for two years with the Securities and Exchange Commission. He later returned to the Transportation Department and in January decided his final major case, a dispute between air cargo companies. He retired in July.

Judge Kolko was born and raised in Rochester, N.Y. He graduated from the University of Pennsylvania in 1961 and received his law degree from Columbia University in 1964.

While growing up, he became fascinated with cowboy shows on the radio and, after moving to the Washington area, became an accomplished horseman. He joined friends on weekly horseback rides at a stable in Great Falls and continued to ride throughout his final illness. He always wore cowboy boots under his judicial robes.

Judge Kolko's love for movies was reflected in legal decisions in which he cited lines from "Guys and Dolls," "Raiders of the Lost Ark" and other films.

He enjoyed classical music and opera and often attended opera performances in Washington, Baltimore and New York.

Before moving to Takoma Park in 2000, he lived in Chevy Chase. He was a member of Congregation Beth El in Bethesda.

His marriage to Naomi Greenwood ended in divorce.

Survivors include his wife of three years, Linda Borst Kolko of Takoma Park; two sons from his first marriage, David Kolko of New York City and Joshua Kolko of Washington; and two brothers, Arthur Kolko of Rochester, N.Y., and Joel Kolko of Silver Spring.

James Edward Strickland

Cancer Researcher

James Edward Strickland, 63, a researcher at the National Cancer Institute, died Sept. 19 of lymphoma at the NIH Clinical Center. He lived in Rockville.

Dr. Strickland joined the cancer institute, a branch of the National Institutes of Health, in 1972. He was a research biochemist at NCI's facility in Frederick and later with the Laboratory of Experimental Pathology in Bethesda.

At the time of his retirement in 1998, he was a research chemist in the Division of Cancer Etiology of NCI's Laboratory of Cellular Carcinogenesis and Tumor Promotion. His final position involved developing computer technology to assist scientists and health administrators.

Dr. Strickland was born in Columbia, S.C., and was a graduate of Duke University in Durham, N.C. He received a doctorate in biochemistry from Tulane University in New Orleans in 1968. He later was a postdoctoral fellow in the biology division of Oak Ridge National Laboratory in Tennessee.

After his retirement, he pursued his interest in photographing ballet and Asian classical dance. His photographs were exhibited at the Kennedy Center and at the Washington School of Ballet.

He enjoyed music, fine arts and travel.

Survivors include his wife of 40 years, Amparo G. Strickland of Rockville; and a sister.