Group Robbed by 4 Men

At Waldorf Playground

Four men, one of them armed with a handgun, robbed a group of four people Wednesday on a Waldorf playground.

Charles County Sheriff's Office investigators said the four men approached the group about 10:50 p.m. at the playground, on Pine Cone Circle in Waldorf. The victims included a Brandywine girl, 17, a White Plains man, 18, and two Waldorf men, ages 19 and 20.

The robbers ordered the victims to the ground and stole money and other property from them before fleeing, according to police. A sheriff's office K-9 team searched the area, but the robbers were not found.

State Seeks to Revoke

Arson Suspect's Release

One of five men charged in last year's arsons at the Hunters Brooke subdivision in Charles County has violated the terms of his pre-trial release, including setting another fire, federal prosecutors said.

In court documents, prosecutors asked a judge to revoke an earlier decision that allowed Roy McCann to live under electronic home monitoring as he awaits trial on arson and conspiracy charges in the Dec. 6 fire at Hunters Brooke near Indian Head.

Assistant U.S. Attorney Donna Sanger wrote in a Sept. 16 court filing that McCann may have set fire to a pile of household trash that he allegedly helped dump on private property in La Plata.

McCann's attorney, Joshua Treem, did not immediately return a call Friday seeking comment, the Associated Press reported.

McCann is one of five men accused of setting more than two dozen fires at Hunters Brooke, Maryland's largest case of residential arson. Two have pleaded guilty, and one, Patrick Walsh, was convicted Sept. 2.

Under the terms of his release, McCann was to remain in his home under electronic monitoring and the supervision of his mother, Barbara Harrison.

On Sept. 9, a magistrate granted a request by McCann to let him help his mother move from their home in Marbury to Waldorf on Sept. 10 and 11. The request said Harrison would be with McCann at all times.

But authorities followed McCann and saw him driving in a truck and car with two men, not his mother. On Sept. 10, McCann was seen entering the Charles County landfill, but he immediately left and drove down a gravel road.

Five days later, authorities found a pile of burnt trash that included the front seat of a vehicle, a sofa, and papers that included canceled checks from McCann's mother and other documents linked to McCann.

Photo of Rape Suspect

Released by Charles Sheriff

The Charles County Sheriff's Office and Charles County Crime Solvers are seeking information about a rape that occurred this month. Detectives are releasing a photograph of the suspect obtained from surveillance equipment and are hoping someone will be able to identify him.

The attack occurred about 4:15 a.m. Sept. 4 outside the 7-Eleven on St. Ignatius Drive in Waldorf. Authorities said the victim was standing outside when a man approached her and displayed a knife. He then forced her into nearby woods, where he sexually assaulted her.

The suspect is described as 5 feet 7 inches to 5 feet 8 inches tall and weighing between 150 and 160 pounds. He was wearing dark pants, a white T-shirt and a gray hooded sweatshirt. The surveillance camera photo is posted on the sheriff's office Web site at www.ccso.us.

Nanjemoy Man, 37, Dies

In Motorcycle Crash

Lawrence Frederick Hoover, 37, of Nanjemoy died Tuesday night in a motorcycle crash near Bel Alton.

Hoover was traveling east on Popes Creek Road about 10:45 p.m. when his Kawasaki motorcycle went off the right side of the road and struck a guardrail, the Charles County Sheriff's Office said.

Investigators said Hoover was thrown from the motorcycle and pronounced dead at the scene. Officers said Hoover was wearing a helmet.

His death is the 34th traffic fatality in Charles County this year, surpassing the previous record number of traffic fatalities, which was set in 1995 when 33 people died. Last year, crashes killed 17 people in Charles.