SQUARE DANCES -- 7:30-9:30 p.m. tomorrow. First, third and fifth Fridays of the month, presented by the Southern Merry-Landers Square Dance Club. John Hanson Middle School, 12350 Vivian Adams Dr., Waldorf. $5.50; $4, members. 301-893-1974.
SQUARE DANCES -- 7:30-9:30 p.m. tomorrow, regular club square dances; 7:30 p.m. Tuesday, classes presented by the Aqua Squares Dance Club. Southern Community Center, 20 Appeal Lane, Lusby. $5. 410-586-3587 or 301-373-2207.
U.S. NAVY BAND PERFORMANCE -- 8 p.m. Saturday. Show at the College of Southern Maryland, Fine Arts Center, 8730 Mitchell Rd., La Plata. Free. 202-433-2525 or www.navyband.navy.mil.
SCHOOL'S OUT FUN DAY -- 9 a.m.-4 p.m. tomorrow. With the day off from school, Calvert County kids can spend the day playing games, doing crafts, watching a movie and eating popcorn; bring a lunch. Southern Community Center, 20 Appeal Lane, Lusby. $15. 410-586-1101.
NIGHTTIME FLIERS -- 10-10:30 a.m. Tuesday. Ages 2 and 3 join a naturalist to meet an owl and learn about how it lives. Battle Creek Cypress Swamp, 2880 Grays Rd., Prince Frederick. $3; $1 Battle Creek Nature Education Society members. 410-535-5327.
MUD PIES, MUD POTS -- 10-11:30 a.m. Tuesday. Ages 3-5 find clay soil near the river and use it to fashion pots the way people did centuries ago. King's Landing Park, 3255 King's Landing Rd., Huntingtown. $3; $1 Battle Creek Nature Education Society members. 410-535-5327.
FALL PRESCHOOL STORYTIMES -- Free program at Charles County public libraries for ages 2-5.
* 10 and 11 a.m., 1:30 p.m. Tuesday. Potomac Branch library, 3225 Ruth B. Swann Dr., Indian Head. 301-375-7375.
* 10 and 11 a.m., 1:30 p.m. Wednesday. P.D. Brown Branch library, 50 Village St., Waldorf. 301-645-2864.
* 10 and 11 a.m., 1:30 p.m. Thursday. La Plata Branch library, 2 Garrett Ave., La Plata. 301-934-9001.
BABY STEPS STORYTIMES -- Free program at St. Mary's County public libraries for ages 2-12 months. www.stmalib.org.
* 9:30 a.m. Tuesday. Charlotte Hall library, 37600 New Market Rd., Charlotte Hall. 301-884-2211.
* 9:15 a.m. Monday. Lexington Park library, 21677 FDR Blvd., Lexington Park. 301-863-8188.
* 10 a.m. Monday. Leonardtown library, 23250 Hollywood Rd., Leonardtown. 301-475-2846.
TODDLER STORYTIMES -- Free program at St. Mary's public libraries. Music is used to encourage audience participation. Ages 1-21/2 years. 301-475-2846 or www.stmalib.org/kprog.html.
* 10 and 10:30 a.m. Tuesday, Charlotte Hall library, 37600 New Market Rd., Charlotte Hall. 301-884-2211.
* 9:45 and 10:30 a.m. Monday, Lexington Park library, 21677 FDR Blvd., Lexington Park. 301-863-8188.
* 10:30 a.m. Monday and 10 a.m. Wednesday, Leonardtown library, 23250 Hollywood Rd., Leonardtown. 301-475-2846.
PRESCHOOL STORYTIME -- Free program at St. Mary's public libraries.
* 10 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. Wednesday, Charlotte Hall library, 37600 New Market Rd., Charlotte Hall. 301-884-2211.
* 10:30 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. Wednesday, Leonardtown library, 23250 Hollywood Rd., Leonardtown. 301-475-2846.
* 10:30 a.m. and 1:15 p.m. Thursday. Lexington Park library, 21677 FDR Blvd., Lexington Park. 301-863-8188.
CUDDLE UP AND READ TO ME -- For ages 2 and younger, to develop basic language skills. Adult must accompany child. www.calvert.lib.md.us.
* 9:15-9:35 a.m. Tuesday and Wednesday. Prince Frederick library, 30 Duke St., Prince Frederick. 301-855-1862 or 410-535-0291.
* 9:30-9:50 a.m. Tuesday. Fairview Branch library, 8120 Southern Maryland Blvd., Owings. 410-257-2101.
* 9:45-10:05 a.m. Wednesday. Southern Branch library, 20 Appeal Lane, Lusby. 410-326-5289.
* 9:15-9:35 a.m. Wednesday. Twin Beaches Branch library, 3819 Harbor Rd., Chesapeake Beach. 410-257-2411.
2- TO 3-YEAR-OLD STORYTIME -- Designed to improve listening skills and group activity. Children will also make a craft. www.calvert.lib.md.us.
* 9:45-10:15 a.m. Tuesday and Wednesday. Prince Frederick library, 30 Duke St., Prince Frederick. 301-855-1862 or 410-535-0291.
* 10-10:30 a.m. Tuesday. Fairview Branch library, 8120 Southern Maryland Blvd., Owings. 410-257-2101.
* 10-10:30 Tuesday; 10:15-10:45 a.m. and 11-11:30 a.m. Wednesday. Southern Branch library, 20 Appeal Lane, Lusby. 410-326-5289.
* 11-11:30 a.m. Wednesday. Twin Beaches Branch library, 3819 Harbor Rd., Chesapeake Beach. 410-257-2411.
4- TO 5-YEAR-OLD STORYTIME -- Emphasizes skills the child will need to attend school. www.calvert.lib.md.us. All sessions held 1-1:45 p.m.
* Tuesday and Wednesday. Prince Frederick library, 30 Duke St., Prince Frederick. 301-855-1862 or 410-535-0291.
* Tuesday. Fairview Branch library, 8120 Southern Maryland Blvd., Owings. 410-257-2101.
* Tuesday. Southern Branch library, 20 Appeal Lane, Lusby. 410-326-5289.
* Wednesday. Twin Beaches Branch library, 3819 Harbor Rd., Chesapeake Beach. 410-257-2411.
FAMILY STORYTIME -- Free program offered by Calvert County Public Libraries to families with children 5 and younger. Children also make crafts and must be accompanied by an adult. 410-535-0291. www.calvert.lib.md.us.
* 11-11:45 a.m. Tuesday and 9:30-10:15 a.m. Saturday. Fairview Branch library, 8120 Southern Maryland Blvd., Owings. 410-257-2101.
* 10:30-11:15 a.m. Tuesday and Wednesday, 9:30-10:15 a.m. Saturday. Prince Frederick library, 30 Duke St., Prince Frederick. 301-855-1862 or 410-535-0291.
* 10:45-11:30 a.m. Tuesday and 10-10:45 a.m. Saturday. Southern Branch library, 20 Appeal Lane, Lusby. 410-326-5289.
* 10-10:45 a.m. Tuesday and 9:30-10:15 a.m. Saturday. Twin Beaches Branch library, 3819 Harbor Rd., Chesapeake Beach. 410-257-2411.
In the Schools
SUPERINTENDENT'S ART GALLERY -- 8 a.m.-4 p.m. Mondays-Fridays, through March 2007. Displays of St. Mary's County student artwork. St. Mary's County public schools central administration building, 23160 Moakley St., Leonardtown. 301-475-5511, Ext. 112.
"A CELEBRATION OF THE DIVINE FEMININE" -- Noon-4 p.m. Saturday. Wine and cheese served for opening of works by Lyn Striegel and Tammy Vitale. ArtWorks@7th gallery, 9131 Bay Ave., North Beach. Free. 410-286-5278.
ALAN PAGANHARDT -- 9 a.m.-8 p.m. Mondays-Thursdays, 11 a.m.-5 p.m. Fridays, 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Saturdays and 1-5 p.m. Sundays, through mid-October. Acrylics by the Drayden artist. Lexington Park library, 21677 FDR Blvd., Lexington Park. Free. 301-863-6693.
"PASSAGES: THE FABRIC OF COMMUNITY" -- 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday-Friday. Roughly 1,550 square feet of fabric was used to make painted panels festooned around the garden. They were completed by more than 500 community members and inspired by Christo and Jeanne-Claude's "The Gates" -- an installation last year in New York's Central Park. Annmarie Garden, 13480 Dowell Rd., Solomons. Free. 410-326-4640 or www.annmariegarden.org.
"SURVIVING CANCER: A PHOTOGRAPHIC EXHIBIT" -- 10 a.m.-9:30 p.m. Mondays-Thursdays, 10 a.m.-10 p.m. Fridays, 9 a.m.-10 p.m. Saturdays, 11 a.m.-7 p.m. Sundays. Saturday, through Oct. 11. Portraits and quotes from local people who have had breast, colon or prostate cancer, sponsored by Civista Health. St. Charles Towne Center, lower level court in front of JCPenney, 11110 Mall Circle Dr., Waldorf. Free. 301-609-4415.
"HORSIN' AND PAINTING AROUND THE WORLD" -- 11 a.m.-4 p.m. Fridays-Sundays, through Oct. 9. Mattawoman Creek artist Mary Sokol displays travel and horse paintings. Mattawoman Creek Art Center, Smallwood State Park, Route 224, Marbury. Free. 301-743-5159 or www.mattawomanart.org.
CRAZY CORN MAZE -- 11 a.m.-dusk Saturdays and Sundays, weekdays by appointment, through Nov. 30. A corn maze, hayride, farm animals, picnic area and local produce. Forrest Hall Farm, 39136 Avie Lane, Mechanicsville. $6; children 3 and younger, free. 301-884-3086 or www.forresthallfarm.com.
HIGH SCHOOL SWIM CLINIC -- 7-8:30 p.m. Mondays and Wednesdays, through Nov. 9. Begins Monday. A program developed for beginners and those experienced in competitive swimming. Each week the class will focus on different aspects of competitive swimming with attention to individual stroke techniques. Lackey High School, 3000 Chicamuxen Rd., Indian Head. $65 for six-week session. 301-743-2470, 301-753-6003; those with special needs call 800-735-2258.
PORT TOBACCO PLAYERS AUDITIONS -- 10 a.m. Saturday and 7 p.m. Monday. Two women and two men in their seventies or eighties, a man in his thirties and a woman in her late twenties are sought for the comedy "Over the River and Through the Woods." Port Tobacco Players Theatre, 508 Charles St., La Plata. Free. Participants should be prepared with one of the monologues that can be obtained from the Players' Web site, www.ptplayers.com, or by calling 301-932-6819.
"THE HAUNTING OF HILL HOUSE" -- 8 p.m. Fridays and Saturdays, 3 p.m. Sundays, through Oct. 16. A group of people visits a brooding and mysterious Victorian mansion and attempts to discover its secrets. The production is directed by Allison Betz. Port Tobacco Players Theatre, 508 Charles St., La Plata. $15; $12 seniors and students. 301-932-6819.
THE COMEDY OF BROADWAY -- 7 p.m. tomorrow. The Port Tobacco Players will perform songs and skits from Broadway shows such as "42nd Street," "Bye Bye Birdie," "South Pacific," "Oklahoma," "Chicago," "Peter Pan" and others. Raises money for Patuxent High School swim team. Patuxent High School, 12485 Rousby High Rd., Lusby. $10 for orchestra seats; $5 for balcony seats. 410-535-7865.
BOOK DISCUSSION -- 2 and 7 p.m. Monday. A discussion with Michael Kauffman, author of "American Brutus: John Wilkes Booth and the Lincoln Conspiracies." Prince Frederick library, 30 Duke St., Prince Frederick. Free. 410-535-0291.
SPAGHETTI DINNER -- 4-8 p.m. tomorrow. Includes salad, bread and butter, iced tea and coffee. American Legion Post 82, 6330 Crain Hwy., La Plata. $7; children 5 and younger free. Donations to support victims of Hurricane Katrina can be made at the dessert table. Parking available behind the Charles County Courthouse, 200 Charles St., La Plata. Free shuttle service to the American Legion Post. 301-934-8221.
BENEFIT CONCERT AND AUCTION -- Auction begins 8 p.m., concert begins 9 p.m. Saturday. The Southern Maryland Parrot Head Club holds a benefit concert featuring Hugo Duarte and an auction with merchandise from local businesses as well as items from Margaritaville. Event benefits the Southern Maryland Alzheimer's Association and relief efforts for the victims of Hurricane Katrina. Holiday Inn Select Solomons, 155 Holiday Dr., Solomons. Free. 301-737-7708.
CSM MINI HISPANIC FILM FESTIVAL -- Noon Monday. "El Hijo de la Novia" ("The Son of the Bride"), an Argentine comedy about a man undergoing a midlife crisis. 2 p.m. Wednesday. "Nos Miran" ("They're Watching Us"), a gothic thriller set in Spain dealing with paranoid perceptions of life in other dimensions. College of Southern Maryland, La Plata Campus, 8730 Mitchell Rd., La Plata. Free. 301-934-7892.
RIVERSIDE WINEFEST AT SOTTERLEY -- Noon-6 p.m. Saturday and Sunday. Wine-tastings, live music, exhibits, demonstrations, vendors, food and children's programs. Sotterley Plantation, 44300 Sotterley Lane, Hollywood. $15; $5, designated drivers, participants 7 to 20 ; children 6 and younger, free. 301-373-2280 or 800-681-0850. www.sotterley.org.
PUMPKIN JUBILEE -- Noon-4 p.m. Sunday. Children's activities; tours of the train, fire and Christ Church museums; craft vendors; and variety of games and entertainment. Various locations throughout downtown La Plata. Free. 301-934-8421.
KATRINA BENEFIT TEXAS HOLD-EM TOURNAMENT -- 4 p.m., registration; 5 p.m., play begins. Oct. 8. Poker tournament to benefit victims of Hurricane Katrina. Maximum playing time is four hours per player. First- through 10th-place finishers will be paid. Food and beverages available for purchase; beverages must be consumed on premises. American Legion Post 82, 6330 Crain Hwy., La Plata. $150 buy-in; no second buy-ins permitted. Limited to 150 people. 301-934-8221 or 301-932-1399.
FIT FOR LIFE 8K RUN AND WALK -- 8 a.m. Oct. 8. A benefit fun run and walk through downtown Leonardtown as part of the Fit for Life Fall Festival, sponsored by the St. Mary's County Department of Recreation, Parks and Community Services. Participants will receive a free T-shirt and post-race drinks and snacks. Leonard Hall Recreation Center, 23145 Leonard Hall Dr., Leonardtown. $20 advance registration; $25 registration on the day of event. 301-475-4200, Ext. 1800 or 1801.
WILLY WONKA'S CANDY WORKSHOP -- Registration begins Saturday for a free event in which first- through fourth-graders can become Oompa Loompas. Sponsored by Calvert County Public Libraries. Twenty kids per event at the following locations:
* 7-8:30 p.m. Oct. 14 at Twin Beaches Branch library, 3819 Harbor Rd., Chesapeake Beach. 410-257-2411.
* 2-3:30 p.m. Oct. 15 at Southern Branch library, 20 Appeal Lane, Lusby. 410-326-5289.
* 7-8:30 p.m. Oct. 21 at Prince Frederick library, 30 Duke St., Prince Frederick. 301-855-1862 or 410-535-0291.
* 10-11:30 a.m. Oct. 22 at Fairview Branch library, 8120 Southern Maryland Blvd., Owings. 410-257-2101.
TRIPS FROM CALVERT COUNTY -- Sponsored by the Calvert County Parks and Recreation Division. Registration and payment required before trip. Sightseeing, shopping and other trips. 410-586-1101.
* Oct. 15, to New York. Departs at 7 a.m. from Southern Community Center and 7:30 a.m. from Sunderland Park and Ride. A day in New York sightseeing, shopping and dining. All ages. $36 a person.
MOUNT CARMEL BENEFIT -- The Restorers of Mount Carmel group sponsors a series of coach trips to benefit the new building fund at Mount Carmel Monastery. 301-645-5203.
* Oct. 29. A trip to Richmond for the Virginia Christmas Show, with culinary demonstrations and holiday shopping opportunities. Includes transportation, admission, dinner and driver gratuity, $60.
* Nov. 30 and Dec. 1. An overnight trip to the Patti Page Christmas Show in Greensburg, Pa. Includes transportation, show, lodging, two breakfasts, two dinners and driver gratuity. Price varies according to lodging arrangements.
VENDORS WANTED -- Groups seeking crafts and vendors for fairs, flea markets, trade fairs and similar events:
* 11 a.m.-4 p.m. Oct. 29. Halloween in the Garden. Seeking local organizations, businesses and individuals to register for a booth at the children's holiday event at Annmarie Garden. Free. 410-326-4640.
In the Region
OPEN HOUSE FLY-IN -- 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Saturday. The noncompetitive event held by the Prince George's Radio Control Club features radio-controlled model aircraft builders and fliers exhibiting and demonstrating their models throughout the day. Field, Radio Control Club, Swanson Road, south of Route 214, Bowie. Free. 410-757-3195.
-- Compiled by MICHAEL TUNISON
To Submit an Item
Mail: Entertainment, Southern Maryland Extra, The Washington Post, 100 N. Oak Ave., La Plata, Md. 20646
Details: Send announcements and photos, noting the date, time, address and cost of the event, along with a phone number. The deadline is 14 days before publication. Events are listed as space permits.