William P. Zobel

Air Force Master Sergeant

William P. Zobel, 86, a retired Air Force master sergeant and a weight lifter for much of his life, died Sept. 24 of prostate cancer at his daughter's home in Springfield.

Mr. Zobel was born on a farm near Uehling, Neb. He grew up during the Depression and after graduating from high school in West Point, Neb., he rode the rails looking for work and joined the Citizen's Military Training Camp at Fort Crook, Neb., in 1937.

He served in the Civilian Conservation Corps in Madison, Neb., from 1937 to 1939 and credited the corps with, in his daughter's words, "delivering him from an impossible situation." Mr. Zobel, who always enjoyed a good meal, finally got enough to eat in the corps, at a time when meals could be few and far between.

"During this, the Depression years, I joined anything for three squares and a flop," he once wrote.

He enlisted in the Nebraska National Guard in 1939 and the Army Air Corps that same year. He was stationed at Hamilton Field, Calif., Fort Douglas, Utah, and Randolph Field, Tex., where he was promoted to master sergeant. During World War II, he served with the 5th Air Force in New Guinea, the island of Morotai in the Dutch East Indies and the Philippines.

Mr. Zobel stayed in the Air Force after the war and served tours of duty with the office of the air attache at American embassies in Dublin, Ottawa and Pretoria, South Africa. After his retirement in 1960, he became a civilian employee with several government agencies and was known as a speedy typist. He retired a second time in 1974 as a clerk with the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission. He once recalled that it took him about five minutes to adjust to retirement.

A compact man who lifted weights regularly until he was 78, Mr. Zobel was a longtime member of the Skyline Racquet and Health Club in Falls Church, where he not only exercised to stay in shape, but also did his share of socializing. He was a life member of Masonic Naval Lodge No. 4 in the District.

He lived in Falls Church for many years before moving in with his daughter in Springfield, thinking he was near death nine years ago. He enjoyed thrice-daily walks with the family bichon frise, Cuddles, and watching sports and soap operas.

His wife, Mary Helen Zobel, died in 1996. A son, W. Scott Zobel, died in 1949, and a daughter, Barbara Ann Zobel, died in 1951.

Survivors include his daughter, Patricia Ann Tillery of Springfield; a sister; a brother; and three grandchildren.

Jacqueline Virginia Pipino

Elementary School Teacher

Jacqueline Virginia Pipino, 69, a teacher who retired in August after 17 years at Kemp Mill Elementary School in Silver Spring, died of gallbladder cancer Sept. 21 at her home in Brookeville.

Before joining Kemp Mill, she taught at Lakewood Elementary School and St. Mary's Catholic School, both in Rockville.

She also worked part-time as a receptionist at the Friends Nursing Home in Sandy Spring for the past 15 years.

She was born in Philadelphia and raised in Atlantic City. She graduated from what is now Trenton State University.

Her marriage to Nicholas P. Pipino Sr. ended in divorce.

A son, Nicholas P. Pipino Jr., died in 1992.

Survivors include three children, Jacqueline M. Carrera of Baltimore, Christine M. Nolan of Fayetteville, N.C., and Stephen J. Pipino of Columbia; a brother; a sister; and six grandchildren.

Mary Louise Mulvihill Carter

Community Group Board Member

Mary Louise Mulvihill Carter, 80, a Washington resident and former board member of what is now St. John's Community Services, a District-based organization for kids and adults with developmental disabilities, died Sept. 26 at Sibley Memorial Hospital. She had respiratory failure.

Mrs. Carter lived in Montgomery County in the 1960s and 1970s, during which time she was a member of Kenwood Golf and Country Club in Bethesda, Church of the Little Flower in Bethesda and St. Raphael's Catholic Church in Rockville.

She lived in Pennsylvania and Illinois before returning to the area in 2002.

Mrs. Carter was a Pittsburgh native and a graduate of St. Mary's College in Notre Dame, Ind.

Her husband of 47 years, Bernard A. Carter, died in 2002.

Survivors include four children, David M. Carter of Washington, Maureen Carter Scanlon of Pittsburgh, Robert C. Carter of Bethesda and Nancy Umenhofer of Lancaster, Pa.; and four grandchildren.

Jack W. Lydman


Jack Wilson Lydman, 91, a Foreign Service officer who retired after serving as ambassador to Malaysia from 1969 to 1974, died Sept. 17 at his home in Washington. He had Alzheimer's disease.

Mr. Lydman joined the State Department in 1946, working in the research and intelligence area and focusing on East Asian affairs.

In the Foreign Service from 1956, he held positions including charge d'affaires at the U.S. Embassy in Australia and deputy chief of mission at the U.S. Embassy in Indonesia.

In retirement, he settled in Washington, where he long had a home, and became a business consultant and lecturer. He specialized in East Asian politics, economics and art. He was a guest lecturer on cruise lines sailing the South Pacific.

He was a native of Brooklyn, N.Y., and a 1936 graduate of Bard College in New York. He did graduate work in German at Columbia University.

Early in his career, he had small acting parts on the New York stage. He performed with the Mercury Theatre and the Surry Players.

He served in the U.S. Army Air Forces during World War II and had a role in planning then-Lt. Col. James H. Doolittle's raid on Japan in 1942.

He was a former board member of the Humane Society of the United States, the Humane Society International and the Center for the Respect of Life and Environment, an affiliate of the U.S. Humane Society.

He was a governor of Diplomatic and Consular Officers, Retired (DACOR), an executive committee member of the Asia Society in Washington and vice president of the Citizens Association of Georgetown.

His memberships included the Cosmos Club and the Oriental Ceramic Society. He donated a substantial portion of his art collection to the Pacific Asia Museum in Pasadena, Calif.

His first wife, Josefa Cummings Lydman, whom he married in 1946, died in 1978.

Survivors include his wife of 23 years, Janine Cabirol Bowie Lydman of Washington; three stepchildren, Ian Bowie of Berryville, Va., Michele Laird of Lausanne, Switzerland, and Darian Haffner of Lisbon; and seven grandchildren.

Pia Hegglin Case

Day-Care Teacher, Seamstress

Pia Hegglin Case, 69, a day-care teacher who also worked at a wedding gown store, died Sept. 14 of ovarian cancer at the Casey House hospice in Rockville.

Mrs. Case had lived in Rockville since 1973. She taught at Congressional Heights Nursery School in North Bethesda from 1973 to 1974 and at the Child Development Center in Potomac from 1985 to 1988. From 1996 to 2000, she was a clerk at I Do I Do Wedding Gowns in Rockville.

A skilled homemaker and seamstress, she did decorative sewing at home for private clients. She also helped restore tapestries at Anderson House, a historic building in Washington that is the home of the Society of the Cincinnati.

Mrs. Case was born in Menzingen, Switzerland, and grew up in the household of an uncle, Philipp Etter, who served four terms as Swiss president. She attended the Institut Ste.-Croix in Bulle, Switzerland, and held jobs in textiles. She also sewed and made decorative items for her family.

She came to the United States when she was 21 and worked as a housekeeper and maid. She lived in New Jersey, Illinois and New York before moving to Rockville.

Mrs. Case was a member of the Swiss Club of Washington and remained a Swiss citizen her entire life. She spoke her native Swiss German dialect, as well as French, German and English.

She was a board member of the Aged Woman's Home of Georgetown and helped in fundraising efforts for her children's school music programs. She also supervised ballboys and ballgirls at games of the old Washington Diplomats soccer team.

Survivors include her husband of 40 years, Daniel F. Case of Rockville; three children, Jennifer H. Case of Memphis, Philip L. Case of Phoenix and Anthony A. Case of Overland Park, Kan.; four brothers; two sisters; and three grandchildren.

Betty W. Holz

Research Analyst

Betty W. Holz, 85, a retired research analyst and corporate manager, died of chronic lung disease Sept. 3 at Wilson Health Care Center in Gaithersburg, where she lived.

Mrs. Holz worked for 12 organizations during her 45-year career, but was primarily with an Army think tank that originally was the Johns Hopkins University operations research office in Bethesda. She retired in 1985 as director of the Management Sciences Group for General Research Corp. of McLean.

Mrs. Holz, who was born in a Florida town that no longer exists, grew up in Columbia, S.C., where she graduated from Columbia College. She received a master's degree in mathematics from the University of South Carolina and did advanced study there and at American University.

She briefly taught mathematics and French in South Carolina. During World War II, she worked as a stenographer at the Office of Civil Defense in Columbia. She also designed radio direction finders at General Development Laboratories and then designed microwave components for radar systems at Raytheon Manufacturing Co.

After the war, Mrs. Holz worked as an assistant project engineer at Sperry Gyroscope Co. and as an adjunct professor of mathematics at the University of South Carolina. She then worked for Melpar Inc., as an engineer and operations analyst.

The turning point in her career was in 1955, when she moved to the Washington area to join the staff of Johns Hopkins's operations research office. She was assigned to the Logistics Division and eventually led a group to develop a complex computer simulation to analyze the logistics of moving a battalion of main battle tanks several hundred miles.

In 1961, the office was restructured as the Research Analysis Corp. and moved to McLean. Mrs. Holz left for the Radio Corp. of America in Bethesda but returned after two years and eventually was promoted to principal scientist.

In 1972, the for-profit General Research Corp. took over the work of the nonprofit Research Analysis Corp.

Mrs. Holz was leader of a group that did pioneering work on developing a large-scale linear programming computer model that was used by Army planners to drastically but strategically reduce troop requirements. In 1980, she and retired Army Brig. Gen. James Wroth won an international management science competition for their program that improved combat readiness by 23 percent.

Mrs. Holz left General Research to work for the Nuclear Regulatory Commission but returned after two years. Mrs. Holz was a member of Chevy Chase United Methodist Church, where she sang in the choir for many years. Upon moving to Asbury Methodist Village in Gaithersburg, she transferred membership to Grace United Methodist Church.

Eugene Holz, her husband of less than two years, died in the mid-1950s. Her companion, Roger H. Lapp, died in 1995.

There were no immediate survivors.

Bernard H. Fischgrund

Government Tax Executive

Bernard H. Fischgrund, 97, a retired federal government executive and tax practitioner, died Sept. 23 at his home in Chevy Chase. He had an immune disorder.

Mr. Fischgrund worked at the Internal Revenue Service for 36 years. He served in the office of the chief counsel, before becoming chief of the Excise Tax Branch in 1960. He retired in 1973 and continued to practice law and consult on taxation.

A well-known lecturer on the subject of the administration of the federal excise-tax system, he appeared before numerous industry and trade groups and at professional and university tax-law institutes. He was a member of the D.C. Bar.

Mr. Fischgrund was born in Griffins Corners, N.Y., and he grew up in Paterson, N.J. He moved to Washington in 1926 and attended George Washington University, and received his juris doctor degree from Georgetown University's law school in 1933.

When he attended alumni events, he was acknowledged as one of the oldest living graduates of GU's law school, said his daughter.

Mr. Fischgrund was an officer of the Adas Israel Congregation and a life member of its Board of Managers. He served in leadership capacities in B'nai B'rith, for which he was a past president of Argo Lodge and one of the founders and a charter officer of the John F. Kennedy Lodge.

He was a former chairman of the government division of the United Jewish Appeal and officer of the Jewish Community Council of Greater Washington. He also was president of the Greater Washington Council for Israel Investment, where he played a major role in organizing and developing Israel investment clubs here and throughout the United States.

A showman when he was younger, he wrote and directed revues at the old Jewish Community Center in the District. He loved to sing and perform, said his daughter, who remembered watching her father imitate Al Jolson at Constitution Hall.

His wife, Rose Fischgrund, died in 1990.

Survivors include three children, Marion "Cookie" Rubloff of Delray Beach, Fla., Bob Golan Fischgrund of Moshave Edan, Israel, and Joseph E. Fischgrund of Philadelphia; 10 grandchildren; and eight great-grandchildren.