Frederick C. "Fred" Morin Jr., 82, a civil engineer who oversaw the planning of public works construction in Arlington County while also serving as chairman of the Fairfax County Water Authority, died of cancer at his home in Winter Park, Fla., where he moved this year.

Mr. Morin, who became interested in construction as a Navy Seabee during World War II, was Arlington's chief of surveys and engineering from 1970 until his retirement in 1988. In that post, he was responsible for field surveys and developing blueprints for all municipal construction, including water, sewer and road projects.

In the meantime, the former Springfield resident spent evenings and weekends as chairman of the water authority, a position to which he was appointed by the Fairfax County Board of Supervisors. He served from 1969 to 2002.

During his tenure, the region's population and residential and commercial development ballooned, which created a sharp increase in demand for water services.

When Mr. Morin began serving on the water authority board in the 1960s, the public utility served about 32,000 customers. By the time of his retirement, upon which he was given chairman emeritus status, the number had climbed to 1.3 million customers in Fairfax, Loudoun County, Annandale and Alexandria.

Along the way, he played an integral role in the authority's expanding network of infrastructure, including acquisition of the Alexandria Water Co., capital improvements of the Lorton water treatment facilities in Occoquan and development of the Potomac River water supply facilities.

Mr. Morin was born in Boydton, Va., and raised in Colonial Heights, Va. A Golden Gloves boxer in his youth, he signed up for his first professional bout but had to withdraw when his father refused to give him permission to fight.

After working in the U.S. Engineering Department, Mr. Morin entered the Navy during World War II and served, among other places, in the Caribbean. As a Navy Seabee, he helped build airstrips on the island of St. Lucia to transport troops and supplies to North Africa.

After the war, he worked as a civil engineer, first with the Virginia Department of Highways and then, beginning in 1950, with Arlington.

He settled in Springfield, where he supervised construction of his home on a plot of land he cleared. He was one of the organizers of the Springfield Forest Civic Association and the Lee District Association of Civic Associations.

The latter organization, of which he was chairman for more than 40 years, closely monitored proposed commercial development projects and frequently opposed those that the group members felt might damage community life in their neighborhoods, said Mr. Morin's son, Frederick C. Morin III, of Buffalo.

"My father often said, 'You can't stop development. You could just try to have good development,' " Morin said.

In addition to his son, survivors include his wife of 59 years, Marie L. Morin of Winter Park; two daughters, Cynthia M. Pack of Orlando and Michele M. Leake of Springfield, Mo.; a sister; a brother; and 10 grandchildren.