SQUARE DANCES -- 7:30-9:30 p.m. tomorrow. First, third and fifth Fridays of each month, presented by the Southern Merry-Landers Square Dance Club. John Hanson Middle School, 12350 Vivian Adams Dr., Waldorf. $5.50; $4, members. 301-893-1974.
SQUARE DANCES -- 7:30-9:30 p.m. tomorrow, regular club square dances. 7:30 p.m. Tuesday, classes presented by the Aqua Squares Dance Club. Southern Community Center, 20 Appeal Lane, Lusby. $5 per person. 410-586-3587 or 301-373-2207.
PIANO/BRASS ENSEMBLE -- 8 p.m. today. Classical selections written for the trombone and piano by composers such as Boris Blacher, Jacques Casterede and Beethoven. St. Mary's College of Maryland, Montgomery Hall 25, 18952 E. Fisher Rd., St. Mary's City. Free. 240-895-4225.
DAVID BUICE -- 4 p.m. Sunday. Performs work by Byrd, Sweelinck, Frescobaldi, Haydn, Mozart and others on harpsichord and fortepiano. Christ Church, 112 E. Charles St., La Plata. Free, with donations accepted to fund the concerts series. 301-934-2360.
LYRA -- 7 p.m. Tuesday. A six-member a cappella ensemble from St. Petersburg, Russia, sings a two-part program of music from the Russian Orthodox Church followed by folk songs. Christ Church, 112 E. Charles St. Free, with donations accepted for the singers. 301-934-2360.
INERTIA -- 7 p.m. doors open; 8-10 p.m. show. Tomorrow. The rock show is part of regular music night at the Cup Coffeehouse of the First Baptist Church of La Plata, held the first and third Fridays of each month. First Baptist Church of La Plata, 9070 Hawthorne Rd., La Plata. Free. 301-392-1632 or www.fbclaplata.org.
BLUEGRASS CONCERT -- 7 p.m. Saturday. First show in a concert series will feature David Davis and the Warrior River Boys with Danny Paisley and the Southern Grass. American Legion Post 238, Routes 231 and 381, Hughesville. $12 per person; tickets sold at door. 301-737-3004.
"MY MANNERS, MOMMIE & ME" -- 10-10:45 a.m. tomorrow. Ages 3-5 and their mothers share polite moments through games, crafts and snacks. Southern Community Center, 20 Appeal Lane, Lusby. Free. 410-586-1101.
"THINGS THAT GO VROOM!" -- 11 a.m.-noon tomorrow. A program for ages 2-5 about cars, trucks and things that go, with crafts and games. Children may bring a favorite transportation toy. Southern Community Center, 20 Appeal Lane, Lusby. Free. 410-586-1101.
FALL PRESCHOOL STORYTIMES -- Free program at Charles County public libraries for ages 2 to 5.
* 10 a.m., 11 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. Tuesday. Potomac Branch library, 3225 Ruth B. Swann Dr., Indian Head. 301-375-7375.
* 10 a.m., 11 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. Wednesday. P.D. Brown Branch library, 50 Village St., Waldorf. 301-645-2864.
* 10 a.m. and 11 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. Thursday. La Plata Branch library, 2 Garrett Ave., La Plata. 301-934-9001.
BABY STEPS STORY TIMES -- Free program at St. Mary's County public libraries for ages 2 to 12 months. www.stmalib.org.
* 9:30 a.m., Tuesday. Charlotte Hall library, 37600 New Market Rd., Charlotte Hall. 301-884-2211.
* 9:15 a.m. Monday. Lexington Park library, 21677 FDR Blvd., Lexington Park. 301-863-8188.
* 10 a.m. Monday. Leonardtown library, 23250 Hollywood Rd., Leonardtown. 301-475-2846.
TODDLER STORY TIMES -- Free program at St. Mary's public libraries. Music is used to encourage audience participation. Ages 1-21/2 years. 301-475-2846 or www.stmalib.org/kprog.html.
* 10 a.m. and 10:30 a.m. Tuesday, Charlotte Hall library, 37600 New Market Rd., Charlotte Hall. 301-884-2211.
* 9:45 a.m. and 10:30 a.m. Monday, Lexington Park library, 21677 FDR Blvd., Lexington Park. 301-863-8188.
* 10:30 a.m. Monday and 10 a.m. Wednesday, Leonardtown library, 23250 Hollywood Rd., Leonardtown. 301-475-2846.
PRESCHOOL STORYTIME -- Free program at St. Mary's public libraries.
* 10 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. Wednesday, Charlotte Hall library, 37600 New Market Rd., Charlotte Hall. 301-884-2211.
* 10:30 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. Wednesday, Leonardtown library, 23250 Hollywood Rd., Leonardtown. 301-475-2846.
* 10:30 a.m. and 1:15 p.m. Thursday. Lexington Park library, 21677 FDR Blvd., Lexington Park. 301-863-8188.
CUDDLE UP AND READ TO ME -- For up to age 2, to develop basic language skills. Adult must accompany child. www.calvert.lib.md.us.
* 9:15-9:35 a.m. Tuesday and Wednesday. Prince Frederick library, 30 Duke St., Prince Frederick. 301-855-1862 or 410-535-0291.
* 9:30-9:50 a.m. Tuesday. Fairview Branch library, 8120 Southern Maryland Blvd., Owings. 410-257-2101.
* 9:45-10:05 a.m. Wednesday. Southern Branch library, 20 Appeal Lane, Lusby. 410-326-5289.
* 9:15-9:35 a.m. Wednesday. Twin Beaches Branch library, 3819 Harbor Rd., Chesapeake Beach, 410-257-2411.
2- TO 3-YEAR-OLD STORY TIME -- Designed to improve listening skills and group activity. Children will also make a craft. www.calvert.lib.md.us.
* 9:45-10:15 a.m. Tuesday and Wednesday. Prince Frederick library, 30 Duke St., Prince Frederick. 301-855-1862 or 410-535-0291.
* 10-10:30 a.m. Tuesday. Fairview Branch library, 8120 Southern Maryland Blvd., Owings. 410-257-2101.
* 10-10:30 Tuesday; 10:15-10:45 a.m. and 11-11:30 a.m. Wednesday. Southern Branch library, 20 Appeal Lane, Lusby. 410-326-5289.
* 11-11:30 a.m. Wednesday. Twin Beaches Branch library, 3819 Harbor Rd., Chesapeake Beach. 410-257-2411.
4- TO 5-YEAR-OLD STORY TIME -- Designed with emphasis on skills the child will need to prepare to attend school. www.calvert.lib.md.us.
* 1-1:45 p.m. Tuesday and Wednesday. Prince Frederick library, 30 Duke St., Prince Frederick. 301-855-1862 or 410-535-0291.
* 1-1:45 p.m. Tuesday. Fairview Branch library, 8120 Southern Maryland Blvd., Owings. 410-257-2101.
* 1-1:45 p.m. Tuesday. Southern Branch library, 20 Appeal Lane, Lusby. 410-326-5289.
* 1-1:45 p.m. Wednesday. Twin Beaches Branch library, 3819 Harbor Rd., Chesapeake Beach. 410-257-2411.
FAMILY STORY TIME -- Free program offered by Calvert County public libraries to families with children up to age 5. Children also make crafts and must be accompanied by an adult. 410-535-0291. www.calvert.lib.md.us.
* 11-11:45 a.m. Tuesday; 9:30-10:15 a.m. Saturday. Fairview Branch library, 8120 Southern Maryland Blvd., Owings. 410-257-2101.
* 10:30-11:15 a.m. Tuesday and Wednesday; 9:30-10:15 a.m. Saturday. Prince Frederick library, 30 Duke St., Prince Frederick. 301-855-1862 or 410-535-0291.
* 10:45-11:30 a.m. Tuesday; 10-10:45 a.m. Saturday. Southern Branch library, 20 Appeal Lane, Lusby. 410-326-5289.
* 10-10:45 a.m. Tuesday; 9:30-10:15 a.m. Saturday. Twin Beaches Branch library, 3819 Harbor Rd., Chesapeake Beach. 410-257-2411.
In the Schools
SUPERINTENDENT'S ART GALLERY -- 8 a.m.-4 p.m. Mondays-Fridays. Displays of St. Mary's County student artwork. St. Mary's County public schools central administration building, 23160 Moakley St., Leonardtown. 301-475-5511, Ext. 112.
ALAN PAGENHARDT -- 9 a.m.-8 p.m. Monday through Thursday, 11 a.m.-5 p.m. Friday, 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Saturday and 1-5 p.m. Sunday, through mid-October. The Drayden artist displays his acrylics in the art gallery space of the Lexington Park library, 21677 FDR Blvd., Lexington Park. Free. 301-863-6693.
PASSAGES -- 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday-Friday. Roughly 1,550 square feet of fabric was used to make painted panels festooned around the garden. They were completed by more than 500 community members and inspired by Christo's "The Gates," last year's installation in New York's Central Park. Annmarie Garden, 13480 Dowell Rd., Solomons. 410-326-4640 or www.annmariegarden.org.
SEEDS OF SOUTHERN MARYLAND -- Opens Saturday, through Oct. 30. Gallery hours are 11 a.m.- 6 p.m. Tuesdays through Saturdays and noon-4 p.m. Sunday. Closed Mondays. An all-member show featuring the natural beauty and culture of Southern Maryland. North End Gallery, 41652 Fenwick St., Leonardtown. Free. 301-475-3130 or www.northendgallery.org.
SURVIVING CANCER: A PHOTOGRAPHIC EXHIBIT -- Through Tuesday. Exhibit open during mall hours. Portrait photos and quotes from local people who have experienced breast, colon or prostate cancer, sponsored by Civista Health. St. Charles Towne Center, Lower Level court in front of JCPenney, 1110 Mall Circle Dr., Waldorf. Free. 301-609-4415.
"HORSIN' AND PAINTING AROUND THE WORLD" -- 11 a.m.-4 p.m. tomorrow-Sunday. Mattawoman Creek artist Mary Sokol displays travel and horse paintings. Mattawoman Creek Art Center, Smallwood State Park, Route 224, Marbury. Free. 301-743-5159 or www.mattawomanart.org.
CRAZY CORN MAZE -- 11 a.m.-dusk Saturdays and Sundays, through Nov. 27. A corn maze, hayride, farm animals, picnic area and local produce. Weekdays by appointment. Forrest Hall Farm, 39136 Avie Lane, Mechanicsville. $6; children younger than 3, free. 301-884-3086 or www.forresthallfarm.com.
'THE HAUNTING OF HILL HOUSE' -- 8 p.m. Fridays and Saturdays; 3 p.m. Sundays, through Oct. 16. A group of people visits a brooding and mysterious Victorian mansion and attempts to discover its secrets. The production is directed by Allison Betz. Port Tobacco Players Theatre, 508 Charles St., La Plata. $15 adults; $12 seniors and students. To reserve, call 301-932-6819.
'RUMPELSTILTSKIN' -- 7:30 p.m. tomorrow. Theatre IV performs a musical adaptation of the classic fairy tale for young audiences. College of Southern Maryland, La Plata Campus, 8730 Mitchell Rd., La Plata. $10. 301-934-7828, 301-870-3008, Ext. 7828 or www.csmd.edu/finearts.
BOOK READING -- 4:30 p.m. today. Author David Plotz reads from his new book, "The Genius Factory: Unraveling the Mystery of the Nobel Prize Sperm Bank." St. Mary's College of Maryland, Cole Cinema, 18952 E. Fisher Rd., St. Mary's City. Free. 240-895-4215.
CONNECTIONS LITERARY SERIES -- 7:30 p.m. tomorrow. Poet Jon Andersen shares his works as part of the College of Southern Maryland's Connections literary series. College of Southern Maryland, La Plata Campus, Room BI-113, 8730 Mitchell Rd., La Plata. $2 admission, tickets available only on the night of the reading. For more information, visit www.csmd.edu/Connections.
BOOK DISCUSSION -- 7-8:30 p.m. Wednesday. U.S. Naval Academy professor Mark McWilliams talks about Toni Morrison's novel "The Bluest Eye." Prince Frederick Library, 30 Duke St., Prince Frederick. Free. 410-535-0291 or 301-855-1862.
CSM MINI HISPANIC FILM FESTIVAL -- 2 p.m. Monday. "The Motorcycle Diaries," starring Gael Garcia Bernal and based on the journals of a young Che Guevara. The film chronicles a formative journey the future radical took with friend Alberto Granato through the South American countryside. College of Southern Maryland, La Plata Campus, 8730 Mitchell Rd., La Plata. Free. 301-934-7892.
KATRINA BENEFIT TEXAS HOLD-EM TOURNAMENT -- 4 p.m., registration; 5 p.m., play begins, Saturday. Poker tournament to benefit victims of Hurricane Katrina. Maximum playing time is four hours per player. First- through 10th-place finishers will be paid. Food and beverages available for purchase; beverages must be consumed on premises. American Legion Post 82, 6330 Crain Hwy., La Plata. $150 buy-in; no second buy-ins permitted. Seats are limited to 150 people. 301-934-8221 or 301-932-1399.
ALL-YOU-CAN-EAT BREAKFAST -- 8-11 a.m. Sunday. The menu includes scrambled eggs, home fries, pancakes, French toast, sausage links, ham, hot biscuits, creamed chipped beef, spiced applesauce, milk, assorted juices and coffee. Second District Volunteer Fire Department and Rescue Squad Auxiliary, 45245 Drayden Rd., Valley Lee. $6 for adults; $3 for ages 5-15; free for ages 5 and younger. 301-994-1960.
COLONIAL DAY -- Noon-4 p.m. Saturday. A chance to observe re-enactors of Maryland's Colonial period and experience the life of an 18th-century tobacco farmer, including music from the era, log-sawing, tobacco-stripping, wool-spinning, meal preparations and other activities. National Colonial Farm at Piscataway Park, 3400 Bryan Point Rd., Accokeek. $2 admission. Held rain or shine. 301-283-2113.
MUSICAL CRUISE -- 5:30-7 p.m. tomorrow. Guests aboard the Wm. B. Tennison enjoy nautical songs and stories from retired sailor Tom Lewis. Boat departs from the Calvert Marine Museum, Route 2/4, Solomons. $18 for adults; $16 for Calvert Marne Museum Society members; $10 for ages 12 and younger. Seating is limited; to reserve, call 410-326-2042, Ext. 41.
TOURNAMENT OF BANDS -- 6 p.m. Saturday. Calvert, Huntingtown and Northern high schools' marching bands will be performing with other area high schools in the 12th Patriot Classic Tournament. Awards for music, precision marching guard and percussion. Northern High School, 2950 Chaneyville Rd., Owings. $6 for adults; $4 for students and seniors; free for 5 and younger. 301-855-3985.
PATUXENT RIVER APPRECIATION DAYS -- 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Saturday and Sunday. Arts and crafts show, free harbor tours, model boat races, science and history displays, live music, a wildfowl calling contest, boat building and a parade by the Boumi Shriners. Calvert Marine Museum, Route 2/4, Solomons. Free. 410-326-2042, Ext. 41.
"FAMILY FUN DAY AT THE MUSEUM" -- 12:30-3:30 p.m. Sunday. A puppet show, a haunted railroad car, games, arts and crafts, face painting with a clown and dancers. Chesapeake Beach Railway Museum, 4155 Mears Ave., Chesapeake Beach. Free. 410-257-3892.
CHARITY GOLF TOURNAMENT -- 8 a.m. registration; 9 a.m. start next Thursday. Sponsored by the Knights of Columbus and the Immaculate Conception Council. Wicomico Shores Golf Course, 35794 Aviation Yacht Club Rd., Mechanicsville. $65 per golfer; $250 per team, includes green fees, cart and lunch, along with chance to win cash and door prizes. To register or for more information, call 301-884-4798.
TEEN MOVIE NIGHT -- 6:30-9 p.m. tomorrow. A free screening of the Vin Diesel movie "The Pacifier." Popcorn and door prizes. Prince Frederick library, 30 Duke St., Prince Frederick. 410-535-0291 or 301-855-1862.
FIT FOR LIFE 8K RUN AND WALK -- 8 a.m. Saturday. A benefit run and fun walk through downtown Leonardtown as part of the "Fit for Life" fall festival, sponsored by the St. Mary's County Department of Recreation, Parks and Community Services. Participants will receive a T-shirt and post-race drinks and snacks. Leonard Hall Recreation Center, 23145 Leonard Hall Dr., Leonardtown. $20 advance registration; $25 registration on the day of event. 301-475-4200, Ext. 1800 or 1801.
SHRIMP FEST -- 4-7 p.m. Oct. 15. American Legion Post 82, 6330 Crain Hwy., La Plata. Advance tickets sold through Saturday at $20 for adults; $8 for ages 6-12. Tickets purchased at the door are $25 for adults; $10 for ages 6-12; free for ages younger than 6 . 301-932-1399 or 301-934-8221.
TRIPS FROM CALVERT COUNTY -- Sponsored by the Calvert County Parks and Recreation Division. Registration and payment required before trip. Sightseeing, shopping and other trips. 410-586-1101.
* Next Thursday, to New York. Departs at 7 a.m. from Southern Community Center and 7:30 a.m. from Sunderland Park and Ride. A day in New York City sightseeing, shopping and dining. All ages. $36 a person.
MOUNT CARMEL BENEFIT -- The Restorers of Mount Carmel group sponsors a series of coach trips to benefit the new building fund at Mount Carmel Monastery. 301-645-5203.
* Oct. 29. A trip to Richmond for the Virginia Christmas Show, with culinary demonstrations and holiday shopping opportunities. Includes transportation, admission, dinner and driver gratuity, $60.
* Nov. 30 and Dec. 1. An overnight trip to the Patti Page Christmas Show in Greensburg, Pa. Includes transportation, show, lodging, two breakfasts, two dinners and driver gratuity. Price varies according to lodging arrangements.
VENDORS WANTED -- Groups seeking crafts and vendors for fairs, flea markets, trade fairs and similar events:
* 11 a.m.-4 p.m. Oct. 29. Halloween in the Garden. Seeking local organizations, businesses and individuals to register for a booth at the children's holiday event. 410-326-4640.
* 9 a.m.-noon Nov. 5. Seeking crafters of baby- and toddler-themed items. Also seeking vendors of used toys, clothing and furniture for the Fall 2005 Baby Bazaar. Somers Community Center, 300 Willow Lane, La Plata. 301-932-6679.
In the Region
GOLDEN HARVEST CRAFT SHOW AND BAZAAR -- 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Saturday. 11 a.m.-4 p.m. Sunday. Handcrafted Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas items, antiques and collectibles, paintings, theme baskets, baked goods, crafts, fruits, vegetables and gifts. Our Lady of Mattaponi CYO Youth Retreat and Conference Center, 11000 Mattaponi Rd., Upper Marlboro. 301-952-9074.
-- Compiled by MICHAEL TUNISON
To Submit an Item
Mail: Entertainment, Southern Maryland Extra, The Washington Post, 100 N. Oak Ave., La Plata, Md. 20646
Details: Send announcements and photos, noting the date, time, address and cost of the event, along with a phone number. The deadline is 14 days before publication. Events are listed as space permits.