Martin Bloom

IRS Statistician

Martin Bloom, 81, a statistician at the Internal Revenue Service who so enjoyed his work that he wrote, directed and narrated a 30-minute film about it, died of respiratory failure after cardiovascular surgery Oct. 1 at Washington Hospital Center.

Mr. Bloom worked for 45 years for government agencies, first collecting wage information in the field and moving on to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, where he worked on the "input-output" model of the U.S. economy and used mechanical computers. He was part of a Cold War project that compared the industrial structure of the United States and Soviet economies and their abilities to absorb the costs of war.

He worked at the IRS from 1960 to 1991 in the division that analyzes data from individual, corporate, estate and nonprofit returns to study and create a wide variety of reports.

After he retired, the director of the 80-year-old Statistics of Income Division asked him, as one of the longest-serving employees, to make a historical training film.

"He thought, 'I can't do this,' but then said, 'Well, I could give it a try,'" said his wife of 47 years, Bernice Raisner Bloom.

He spent 1993 and 1994 traveling across the country doing interviews, writing a script and putting the movie together. Two IRS employees from the Ogden, Utah, center filmed it. The result: "80 Years of the Statistics of Income Division of the IRS," which is still shown two or three times a year to new IRS employees, his wife said. "He loved it. It is so different from anything else he had done."

Mr. Bloom was born in Holyoke, Mass., and graduated from the University of Indiana. He moved to the Washington area in 1945 and worked for the Hecht Co. for a year until joining the Department of Labor and later its Bureau of Labor Statistics. In 1955, he switched to the Census Bureau for four years and the Agriculture Department for a year.

He was a volunteer for the Jewish Social Service Agency's Meals on Wheels program and was a member of B'nai B'rith and the Wheaton Heritage Lodge. He lived in Silver Spring.

Survivors, in addition to his wife, include two children, Leon Bloom of Annapolis and Dr. Audrey Mayo of Atlanta; a brother; and five grandchildren.

Ronald C. Taylor

Physical Meteorologist

Ronald Charles Taylor, 72, who helped direct funding of cutting-edge research in physical meteorology at the National Science Foundation, died Sept. 29 at Doctors Community Hospital in Lanham after a heart attack.

Dr. Taylor was the foundation's program director of meteorology from 1976 until his retirement in 1997. During his tenure, he managed the peer review process of grant proposals and made recommendations on funding projects.

He gained a reputation for supporting high-risk studies, sometimes outside the traditional world of academia, that led to developments of instrumentations to observe atmospheric electricity, said Eugene W. Bierly, Dr. Taylor's former supervisor at the National Science Foundation.

Dr. Taylor, who lived in College Park, was native of Port Huron, Mich. He graduated from the University of California at Los Angeles and received a doctorate in meteorology from the University of Hawaii in 1968.

He served as a meteorologist on a team of scientists working for the U.S. Weather Bureau at the Little America IV station in Antarctica in the 1950s.

He also taught at a number of universities, including the University of Maryland, where he was associate professor in meteorology at the Institute of Fluid Dynamics in the mid-1970s.

He was a fellow of the American Meteorological Society and a recipient in 1996 of its award for distinguished service to atmospheric sciences.

His marriage to Margaret T. Taylor ended in divorce.

Survivors include his longtime companion, Ming-Ying Wei of College Park; and a son from his marriage, David K. Taylor of Ann Arbor, Mich.

Lucien Capone Jr.

Navy Admiral, Consultant

Lucien Capone Jr., 80, a retired Navy admiral and Booz Allen Hamilton vice president, died Sept. 25 at Inova Mount Vernon Hospital of complications following open-heart surgery last April. He was a Springfield resident.

Mr. Capone, known as Luke, was born in Fall River, Mass., and grew up in Bristol, R.I. He received his undergraduate degree from the U.S. Naval Academy in 1949. During a 30-year military career, he was commanding officer of three ships, the USS Hammerberg, the USS Dahlgren and the USS Richmond K. Turner. His shore tours of duty included posts as deputy chief of staff and director of the Command and Control Technical Center for the Defense Communications Agency and head of the Inter-American Defense College at Fort McNair.

He completed studies at the U.S. Naval Postgraduate School in Monterey, Calif., in 1954 and at the Industrial College of the Armed Forces in 1967. He also received a master's degree in business administration from George Washington University in 1967. A recipient of the Legion of Merit and the Joint Service Commendation Medal, he became rear admiral in 1975.

After his retirement from the Navy in 1979, he joined Booz Allen Hamilton as a principal to lead the company's new business development in military command, control and communications. He became vice president in 1983 and senior vice president in 1988. He created the C3 Professional Community, which became a prototype for joint market planning, intellectual capital sharing and networking across teams.

Mr. Capone retired a second time in 1997 but continued to lead the company's senior professional development courses and to take part in staff meetings and market strategy. He also was a jazz pianist.

Survivors include his wife of 55 years, Charlotte Lammers Capone of Springfield; two children, Lucien "Skip" Capone III of Greensboro, N.C., and Judith A. Capone of Port Jefferson, N.Y.; and four grandchildren.

Roy Adrian Huffman

Civil Engineer

Roy Adrian Huffman, 83, a retired civil engineer with the Goddard Space Flight Center, died Oct. 3 of emphysema at Gilchrist Center for Hospice Care in Towson, Md. He was a longtime Laurel resident.

Mr. Huffman was born in Claremont, N.C., and grew up on a farm during the Depression, which helped explain his enthusiasm and great success in later years growing tomatoes and other vegetables in his backyard garden. He joined the Army during World War II, working in counterintelligence at Fort Myer.

He received a bachelor's degree in civil engineering from North Carolina State University in 1951. After graduation, he worked for two years near Pensacola, Fla., on the construction of a nylon plant for E.I. DuPont de Nemours & Co.

In the early 1950s, he worked as an engineer in Japan for Adrian Wilson Associates, upgrading air field facilities that were being used in the Korean War. Later in the decade, he worked in Ankara, Turkey, designing petroleum, oil and lubricant facilities for the Turkish Ministry of Defense under NATO auspices.

Before joining the Goddard Space Flight Center, he lived in Madrid and Rota, Spain, where he worked as a construction engineer on military bases. He also worked as a design director in the public works department of Naval Station Rota, a U.S. military base near the Strait of Gibraltar.

He joined Goddard in 1964 and worked primarily with the group that designed and constructed NASA's network of satellite tracking stations. He also worked on tectonic plate motion facilities. He retired in 1990.

In addition to gardening, he enjoyed playing bridge, poker and solitaire and reading historical novels. He was a member of the American Legion.

Survivors include his wife of 48 years, Consuelo "Chelo" Huffman of Laurel; four children, Linda Townsend of Columbia, Carlos Huffman of Columbia, James Huffman of Allentown, Pa., and Susan Huffman of Laurel; two brothers and a sister; and six grandchildren.

Evelyn Simon

Executive Secretary

Evelyn Simon, 96, who was an executive secretary at Lewis & Thos. Saltz clothing store in Washington for about 35 years until her retirement in 1990, died of congestive heart failure Oct. 5 at a medical center in Hollywood, Fla.

Mrs. Simon, a native of Grand Rapids, Mich., came to the Washington area with her husband, John Simon, in 1937.

In the 1940s and the 1950s, they operated a number of businesses together, including a millinery in Washington and two women's clothing stores in Shirlington.

They lived in Bethesda, Arlington and then Silver Spring before retiring to Florida in 1990 and settling in Pembroke Pines. Mrs. Simon lived in Hollywood for the past 10 years.

Her husband died in 1996. They had been married for 61 years.

Survivors include two children, Melvin Simon of Sarasota, Fla., and Carole Reuben of Potomac; a brother; five grandchildren; and eight great-grandchildren.

Wilfred P. Allard

Foreign Service Officer

Wilfred P. Allard, 92, a retired Foreign Service officer who served as a cultural attache in Malaysia, Vietnam and Laos, died of aspiration pneumonia Oct. 5 at Capital Hospice in Arlington.

Mr. Allard, a resident of Falls Church, was a native of Cohoes, N.Y., and a graduate of what is now the State University of New York at Albany.

After graduate work in Romance languages and a stint with military intelligence, he joined the State Department in 1944 and initially served as vice consul, first in Panama and then in Lima, Peru.

He was an assistant cultural attache in Paris and Buenos Aires, and he was a desk officer at the State Department and U.S. Information Agency in Washington.

After his assignments in Asia, he retired from the Foreign Service in 1972. He became an escort and interpreter accompanying officials from French- and Spanish-speaking countries.

He was a member of the American Foreign Service Association, the Diplomatic and Consular Officers, Retired and the Knights of Columbus.

Mr. Allard belonged to St. Anthony's Catholic Church in Falls Church. He regularly participated in spiritual enhancement gatherings at the Dominican Retreat House in McLean. He also enjoyed playing bridge and swimming across Lake Barcroft.

A daughter, Alice Anne Hurd, died in 2000.

Survivors include his wife of 62 years, Constance Tessier Allard of Falls Church; three sons, Paul F. Allard of Springfield, Donald C. Allard of Albany, N.Y., and William A. Allard of Santa Barbara, Calif.; a daughter, Michele Higginbotham of Ottawa; a sister; and 10 grandchildren.

Jerome Herbert Perlmutter

Communications Specialist

Jerome Herbert Perlmutter, 80, a writer, editor and communications specialist who worked for a number of government agencies before retiring from the National Endowment for the Arts in 1979, died Oct. 6 of complications from a brain tumor at Casey House hospice in Rockville. He lived in Silver Spring.

Mr. Perlmutter, who was born in New York, came to Washington after serving in the Navy during World War II. He graduated Phi Beta Kappa from George Washington University and received a master's degree in communications from American University in 1957.

He worked as a draftsman in the Navy Department; was an editor and writer with the Agriculture Research Service; and was chief of the division of publishing and reproduction services at the State Department.

In 1972, when the National Endowment for the Arts organized the Federal Design Improvement Program, Mr. Perlmutter was selected as the federal graphics coordinator. In that position, he helped revamp government agency logos and the design of its publications and communication materials.

During his government career, Mr. Perlmutter also worked as a writing and language consultant to the World Bank, the International Monetary Fund and the Foreign Service Institute.

Upon his retirement from civil service, he formed a consulting firm, Perlmutter Associates, and served as its chief executive until retiring again in 1990.

Passionate about the English language, he wrote "A Practical Guide to Effective Writing," which was published by Random House in 1965.

In later years, he wrote irreverent takes on daily life, which he then read at gatherings of the Leisure World Writing Club.

He was a member of the American Association of Agriculture, College Editors Association, Federal Editors Association, the Maryland Literacy Council and the Society of Professional Journalists.

Survivors include his wife of 57 years, Evelyn Perlmutter of Silver Spring; two daughters, Diane Reynolds of San Francisco and Sandra Perlmutter of Washington; a son, Bruce Perlmutter of New York; a brother, Jack Perlmutter of Bethesda; and three grandchildren.

Louise P. Matzuk


Louise P. Matzuk, 84, a longtime Arlington homemaker, died Sept. 30 at Virginia Hospital Center of complications related to a fall.

Mrs. Matzuk was born in Hopewell, Va. Soon after her marriage in 1940, she and her husband lived in Hawaii, where she worked at Hickam Air Force Base. She settled in Arlington in 1949.

She belonged to a bridge club and bowling league and enjoyed reading and following sports, particularly the Washington Redskins.

Her husband of 62 years, Sam Matzuk, died in 2002.

Survivors include two children, Patty Tice of Raleigh, N.C., and Mike Matzuk of Christiansburg, Va.; a sister, Frances Emory of Hopewell; four grandchildren; and two great-granddaughters.