James H. Carpenter Sr.
Jim Carpenter, 93, a former Exxon service station owner and field representative for the Gasoline Dealers Association, died at Palms of Pasadena Hospital in Florida on Sept. 30 of complications from a fall.
Mr. Carpenter was affiliated with Exxon for 53 years as an employee, service station dealer and station owner. He owned stations in Hyattsville and Salisbury, Md.
He was on the board of directors during the formation of the original Gasoline Dealers Association. After being active in the service station business, he took over a distributorship for Exxon uniforms for seven years and then joined the dealers association as a field representative until his retirement in 1982. He was inducted into the association's Hall of Fame.
Mr. Carpenter was born in Washington and graduated from Central High School. He attended George Washington University and graduated from Benjamin Franklin University with a bachelor's degree in accounting. He served in the Coast Guard during World War II and reached the rank of second lieutenant.
He was in the Lions Club for more than 50 years and recently received the Melvin Jones award, certificate and pin for 55 years of service.
After living in Silver Spring, Mr. Carpenter moved to Ocean Pines, Md., and then four years ago to Madeira Beach, Fla. He enjoyed golf and was a member of Ocean Pines Golf Club. He also belonged to Army Navy Country Club in Arlington.
Survivors include his wife of 55 years, Margaret "Tommie" Carpenter of Madeira Beach; a son, James H. Carpenter Jr. of Salisbury; a sister, Edith Pilla of Wheaton; a granddaughter; and a great-granddaughter.
Dorothy E. Olin
Dorothy E. Olin, 82, a high school journalism teacher who later became a lawyer, died of lung cancer Sept. 24 at Capital Hospice in Arlington. She lived in Springfield.
Mrs. Olin first came to Washington in 1946, when she was a researcher and writer for U.S. News & World Report. She held a similar position with Time magazine in New York from 1947 to 1949 and edited the Rice Journal in New Orleans from 1949 to 1950.
She was stationed with her husband at a variety of naval bases in the United States and overseas before settling in Springfield in 1967. She taught at Flint Hill School in Flint Hill, Va., for one year before joining the faculty of Annandale High School, where she taught journalism and supervised the student newspaper from 1968 to 1980.
Mrs. Olin entered George Mason University law school at age 57 and graduated in 1983. She had a solo legal practice, specializing in family law and estate planning, from 1983 until June of this year. She was legal adviser to the Kings Park Civic Association in Springfield for 15 years.
Mrs. Olin was born in Buffalo and graduated from Northwestern University in Evanston, Ill., with a bachelor's degree in journalism in 1945.
She was honored with a certificate of appreciation from the secretary of the Navy for creating the newsletter of the Navy Wifeline Association in 1965.
She was a member of the Alpha Gamma Delta sorority, the American Bar Association and the Phi Delta Phi international legal fraternity.
Survivors include her husband of 58 years, retired Navy Capt. William C. Olin of Springfield; four sons, Dr. Richard T. Olin of Manassas, William C. "Chip" Olin Jr. of Knoxville, Tenn., Dr. Paul G. Olin of Santa Rosa, Calif., and Coast Guard Cmdr. Christopher J. Olin of Woods Hole, Mass.; a brother; and 11 grandchildren.