Nearly 540 apartments and townhouses and thousands of square feet of retail space are planned within a two-mile radius of the Takoma Metro station in coming years.
Takoma in D.C.
* Between Willow and Maple streets behind the CVS store: 135 apartments and 95,000 square feet of retail space that would include a grocery store.
* Elevation 314, at 314 Cedar St. NW: 52 apartments and 2,900 square feet of retail space. Opened summer 2004.
* Cedar Crossing, at the intersection of Cedar Street NW and Blair Road: 49 condos and 1,500 square feet of retail space. Has opened.
* 235 Carroll St. NW: 85 condos and 7,500 square feet of retail space. The project has received approval from the D.C. Historic Preservation Review Board; construction might start by next spring.
* Corner of Cedar and Eastern avenues, next to Takoma Metro: 95 townhouses and one acre of parkland. In the design and planning phase.
* 7041 Blair Rd.: 150 or fewer condos and underground parking. In the design phase for the past year.
* 6903 Laurel Ave.: Three commercial spaces, including one restaurant and a parking lot with about 70 spaces. Approved by the Montgomery County Historic Preservation Review Board. Construction might start in the spring.
* 7001 and 7003 Carroll Ave.: About 75 condos and 10,000 square feet of retail space. In the planning phase.