SQUARE DANCES -- 7:30-9:30 p.m. tomorrow. First, third and fifth Fridays of each month, presented by the Southern Merry-Landers Square Dance Club. John Hanson Middle School, 12350 Vivian Adams Dr., Waldorf. $5.50; $4, members. 301-893-1974.
SQUARE DANCES -- 7:30-9:30 p.m. tomorrow, regular club square dances. 7:30 p.m. Tuesday, classes presented by the Aqua Squares Dance Club. Southern Community Center, 20 Appeal Lane, Lusby. $5 per person. 410-586-3587 or 301-373-2207.
BALLROOM AND SWING DANCE -- 7-8 p.m. lesson; 8-11 p.m. dance. Saturday. Sponsored by the Knights of Columbus of Holy Face Church, with vocals provided by Veronica Wines. Costumes are encouraged, and there will be a contest for the best one. Little Flower School, Route 5, Great Mills. $10 per person. 301-645-8509.
FALL PREVIEW CONCERT -- 7 p.m. Wednesday. Performances from the band, choir and orchestra, hosted by the Patuxent High Music Department. Patuxent High School, 12485 Rousby Hall Rd., Lusby. Free. 410-535-7806.
STRUMMIN', SINGIN', SIPPIN' -- 8 p.m. Oct. 14. David and Ginger Hildebrand play a concert of folk music. College of Southern Maryland, La Plata campus, Fine Arts Center, FA-143, 8730 Mitchell Rd., La Plata. $5 admission. 301-934-7828 or 301-870-3008, Ext. 7828. www.csmd.edu/finearts.
SPOOKFEST 2005 -- 1-4 p.m. Saturday. A family program hosted by the Natural Resources Division and Calvert County Parks and Recreation Division with hay ride, a moon bounce, jack-o'-lanterns, games and a costume contest. King's Landing Park, 3255 King's Landing Rd., Huntingtown. Free. 410-257-6770 or 800-735-2558.
ADVENTURES WITH DORA -- 10-11 a.m. tomorrow. Ages 2-5 can grab a backpack and have a "Dora the Explorer" day with games and snacks. Southern Community Center, 20 Appeal Lane, Lusby. $5 per child. 410-586-1101.
GOING BATTY -- 2-3 p.m. Sunday; 10-11 a.m. and 2-3 p.m. Wednesday. A program to learn more about bats. Event is outdoors, so participants should dress accordingly. For ages 3 to 5 years with adult. Battle Creek Cypress Swamp, 2880 Grays Rd., Prince Frederick. $3; $1 Battle Creek Nature Education Society members. 410-535-5327.
COCKTOWN CREEK HIKE -- 10-11:30 a.m. Tuesday. Ages 3 to 5 can hike along the creek in search of migrating waterfowl and other wildlife. King's Landing Park, 3255 King's Landing Rd., Huntingtown. $3; $1, Battle Creek Nature Education Society members. 410-535-5327.
TINY TOTS JOG -- 11 a.m. tomorrow. Ages 3-6 take a jog or walk with prizes awarded. Southern Community Center, 20 Appeal Lane, Lusby. $3 per child. To register, call 410-586-1101.
ART IN THE PARK -- 10:30-11:30 a.m. next Thursday. Ages 2-5 take a walk to compile supplies to make nature art. Participants should dress appropriately for weather conditions. A drink and snack provided. Cove Point Park, 750 Cove Point Rd., Lusby. Free. 410-586-1101.
FALL PRESCHOOL STORYTIMES -- Free program at Charles County public libraries for ages 2 to 5.
* 10 a.m.,11 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. Tuesday. Potomac Branch library, 3225 Ruth B. Swann Dr., Indian Head. 301-375-7375.
* 10 a.m., 11 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. Wednesday. P.D. Brown Branch library, 50 Village St., Waldorf. 301-645-2864.
* 10 and11 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. Thursday. La Plata Branch library, 2 Garrett Ave., La Plata. 301-934-9001.
BABY STEPS STORY TIMES -- Free program at St. Mary's County public libraries for ages 2 to 12 months. www.stmalib.org.
* 9:30 a.m., Tuesday. Charlotte Hall library, 37600 New Market Rd., Charlotte Hall. 301-884-2211.
* 9:15 a.m. Monday. Lexington Park library, 21677 FDR Blvd., Lexington Park. 301-863-8188.
* 10 a.m. Monday. Leonardtown library, 23250 Hollywood Rd., Leonardtown. 301-475-2846.
TODDLER STORY TIMES -- Free program at St. Mary's public libraries. Music is used to encourage audience participation. Ages 1-21/2 years. 301-475-2846 or www.stmalib.org/kprog.html.
* 10 a.m. and 10:30 a.m. Tuesday, Charlotte Hall library, 37600 New Market Rd., Charlotte Hall. 301-884-2211.
* 9:45 a.m. and 10:30 a.m. Monday, Lexington Park library, 21677 FDR Blvd., Lexington Park. 301-863-8188.
* 10:30 a.m. Monday and 10 a.m. Wednesday, Leonardtown library, 23250 Hollywood Rd., Leonardtown. 301-475-2846.
PRESCHOOL STORYTIME -- Free program at St. Mary's public libraries.
* 10 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. Wednesday, Charlotte Hall library, 37600 New Market Rd., Charlotte Hall. 301-884-2211.
* 10:30 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. Wednesday, Leonardtown library, 23250 Hollywood Rd., Leonardtown. 301-475-2846.
* 10:30 a.m. and 1:15 p.m. Thursday. Lexington Park library, 21677 FDR Blvd., Lexington Park. 301-863-8188.
CUDDLE UP AND READ TO ME -- For up to age 2, to develop basic language skills. Adult must accompany child. www.calvert.lib.md.us.
* 9:15-9:35 a.m. Tuesday and Wednesday. Prince Frederick library, 30 Duke St., Prince Frederick. 301-855-1862 or 410-535-0291.
* 9:30-9:50 a.m. Tuesday. Fairview Branch library, 8120 Southern Maryland Blvd., Owings. 410-257-2101.
* 9:45-10:05 a.m. Wednesday. Southern Branch library, 20 Appeal Lane, Lusby. 410-326-5289.
* 9:15-9:35 a.m. Wednesday. Twin Beaches Branch library, 3819 Harbor Rd., Chesapeake Beach, 410-257-2411.
2- TO 3-YEAR-OLD STORY TIME -- Designed to improve listening skills and group activity. Children will also make a craft. www.calvert.lib.md.us.
* 9:45-10:15 a.m. Tuesday and Wednesday. Prince Frederick library, 30 Duke St., Prince Frederick. 301-855-1862 or 410-535-0291.
* 10-10:30 a.m. Tuesday. Fairview Branch library, 8120 Southern Maryland Blvd., Owings. 410-257-2101.
* 10-10:30 Tuesday; 10:15-10:45 a.m. and 11-11:30 a.m. Wednesday. Southern Branch library, 20 Appeal Lane, Lusby. 410-326-5289.
* 11-11:30 a.m. Wednesday. Twin Beaches Branch library, 3819 Harbor Rd., Chesapeake Beach. 410-257-2411.
4- TO 5-YEAR-OLD STORY TIME -- Designed with emphasis on skills the child will need to attend school. www.calvert.lib.md.us.
* 1-1:45 p.m. Tuesday and Wednesday. Prince Frederick library, 30 Duke St., Prince Frederick. 301-855-1862 or 410-535-0291.
* 1-1:45 p.m. Tuesday. Fairview Branch library, 8120 Southern Maryland Blvd., Owings. 410-257-2101.
* 1-1:45 p.m. Tuesday. Southern Branch library, 20 Appeal Lane, Lusby. 410-326-5289.
* 1-1:45 p.m. Wednesday. Twin Beaches Branch library, 3819 Harbor Rd., Chesapeake Beach. 410-257-2411.
FAMILY STORY TIME -- Free program offered by Calvert County Public Libraries to families with children up to age 5. Children also make crafts and must be accompanied by an adult. 410-535-0291. www.calvert.lib.md.us.
* 11-11:45 a.m. Tuesday; 9:30-10:15 a.m. Saturday. Fairview Branch library, 8120 Southern Maryland Blvd., Owings. 410-257-2101.
* 10:30-11:15 a.m. Tuesday and Wednesday; 9:30-10:15 a.m. Saturday. Prince Frederick library, 30 Duke St., Prince Frederick. 301-855-1862 or 410-535-0291.
* 10:45-11:30 a.m. Tuesday; 10-10:45 a.m. Saturday. Southern Branch library, 20 Appeal Lane, Lusby. 410-326-5289.
* 10-10:45 a.m. Tuesday; 9:30-10:15 a.m. Saturday. Twin Beaches Branch library, 3819 Harbor Rd., Chesapeake Beach. 410-257-2411.
In the Schools
SUPERINTENDENT'S ART GALLERY -- 8 a.m.-4 p.m. Mondays-Fridays. Displays of St. Mary's County student artwork. St. Mary's County public schools central administration building, 23160 Moakley St., Leonardtown. 301-475-5511, Ext. 112.
PASSAGES -- 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday-Friday. Roughly 1,550 square feet of fabric was used to make painted panels festooned around the garden. They were completed by more than 500 community members and inspired by Christo's "The Gates," last year's installation in New York's Central Park. Annmarie Garden, 13480 Dowell Rd., Solomons. 410-326-4640 or www.annmariegarden.org.
SEEDS OF SOUTHERN MARYLAND -- Open through Oct. 30. Gallery hours are 11 a.m.- 6 p.m. Tuesdays through Saturdays and noon- 4 p.m. Sunday. Closed Mondays. An all-member show featuring the natural beauty and culture of Southern Maryland. North End Gallery, 41652 Fenwick St., Leonardtown. Free. 301-475-3130 or www.northendgallery.org.
TONY HUNGERFORD MEMORIAL GALLERY -- 3:30-7 p.m. Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, through Nov. 6. Painting and drawings by artist Constance Simon. College of Southern Maryland, La Plata Campus, 8730 Mitchell Rd., La Plata. 301-934-7828 or 301-870-3008, Ext. 7828.
ANDREA PITZER EXHIBIT -- Tomorrow through Nov. 13. Gallery open 11 a.m.-4 p.m. Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays. The artist uses Greek mythology, through words and images, to explore the human struggle against being bound or imprisoned by words. Mattawoman Art Center, Smallwood State Park, Route 224, Marbury. Free. 301-743-5159.
"HORSIN' AND PAINTING AROUND THE WORLD" -- 11 a.m.-4 p.m. Friday-Sunday.Mattawoman Creek artist Mary Sokol displays travel and horse paintings. Mattawoman Creek Art Center, Smallwood State Park, Route 224, Marbury. Free. 301-743-5159 or www.mattawomanart.org.
CRAZY CORN MAZE -- 11 a.m.-dusk Saturday and Sunday, through Nov. 27. A corn maze, hay ride, farm animals, picnic area and local produce. Weekdays by appointment. Forrest Hall Farm, 39136 Avie Lane, Mechanicsville. $6; children younger than 3, free. 301-884-3086 or www.forresthallfarm.com.
"THE HAUNTING OF HILL HOUSE" -- 8 p.m. tomorrow and Saturday; 3 p.m. Sunday. A group of people visits a brooding and mysterious Victorian mansion and attempts to discover its secrets. The production is directed by Allison Betz. Port Tobacco Players Theatre, 508 Charles St., La Plata. $15 adults; $12 seniors and students. To reserve, call 301-932-6819.
"FUENTE OVEJUNA" -- 8 p.m. next Thursday and Oct. 21 and 22; 3 p.m. Oct. 23; 8 p.m. Oct. 27-29; and 3 p.m. Oct. 30. Lope de Vega's classic, written in 1619, depicts townspeople rebelling against a tyrannical lord after his forces terrorize the town's peasant inhabitants, fomenting a nationwide rebellion. Bruce Davis Theatre, Montgomery Hall Fine Arts Center, St. Mary's College of Maryland, 18952 E. Fisher Rd., St. Mary's City. $3.50 to $5 for general admission. 240-895-4243.
EILEEN DORAN-SMITH -- 7 p.m. Tuesday. Opportunity to meet the author of children's books such as "The Cloud Painter," "The Rainbow's End," "The Wind Dancers" and "How the Youngest Angel Learned to Fly." Prince Frederick library, 30 Duke St., Prince Frederick. Free. 410-535-0291 or 301-855-1862.
BOOK DISCUSSION -- 7 p.m. Monday. A discussion of the book "Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell" by Susanna Clarke. The book follows two magicians as they attempt to restore the dignity of magic to England. Bayhill Market, 7544 Bayside Rd., Chesapeake Beach. Free. 410-257-2411.
BOOK DISCUSSION -- 2-3 p.m. Wednesday. A discussion of the book "The Kite Runner" by Khaled Hosseini. The book weaves an epic plot through the history of Afghanistan, from the end of the monarchy to today's society. Fairview Branch library, 8210 Southern Maryland Blvd., Owings. Free. 410-257-2101.
GRAND MILITIA MUSTER -- 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Saturday. Members of the St. Maries Citty Militia host 17th-century reenactors for a festival of competitions, drills and social events. Historic St. Mary's City, Rosecroft Road off Route 5, St. Mary's City. $7.50 adults; $6 students and seniors; $3 for ages 6-12; free for ages 5 and younger. 800-762-1634 or 240-895-4990. www.stmaryscity.org.
TRADITIONAL TURKEY DINNER -- 4-7 p.m. Saturday. Dinner with all the trimmings. Carryout service available. Waters Memorial United Methodist Church, 5400 Mackall St., St. Leonard. $12 for adults; $6 for ages 6-12; free for younger than 6. 410-586-1716.
DANCE TEAM CAR SHOW -- 9 a.m.-3 p.m. Sunday. Rain date is Oct. 30. With music, refreshments and door prizes. Thomas Stone High School, 3785 Leonardtown Rd., Waldorf. $15 per car with early registration; $20 car registration; $5 admission; free for children younger than 10. To register, call 301-934-7200, Ext. 4616.
FARM HERITAGE SHOW -- 2-6 p.m. Saturday. Displays, demonstrations of antique farm equipment, hay rides, produce and a shrimp and roast beef dinner. Friendship United Methodist Church, 22 W. Friendship Rd., Friendship. Event is free. $15 for dinner for adults with a half-pound of shrimp; $10 for adults without shrimp; $7 for dinner for ages 4-10 with shrimp; $4 for ages 4-10 without shrimp; dinner free for ages 3 and under. 410-257-7133.
CHARITY GOLF TOURNAMENT -- 8 a.m. registration; 9 a.m. start today. Sponsored by the Knights of Columbus and the Immaculate Conception Council. Wicomico Shores Golf Course, 35794 Aviation Yacht Club Rd., Mechanicsville. $65 per golfer; $250 per team, includes greens fees, cart and lunch, along with chances to win cash and door prizes. To register or for more information, call 301-884-4798.
PET THE PONIES -- 11 a.m.-4 p.m. Sunday. An open house, during which visitors can tour the facility, feed the ponies and horses, meet instructors, watch instructors ride horses, and possibly receive a horse ride. Freedom's Rein Farm, 23431 Huckleberry Way, Hollywood. Free. 301-373-8005 or www.freedomsreinfarm.com.
SHRIMP FEST -- 4-7 p.m. Saturday. American Legion Post 82, 6330 Crain Hwy., La Plata. Advance tickets sold through Saturday at $20 for adults; $8 for ages 6-12. Tickets purchased at the door are $25 for adults; $10 for ages 6-12; free for children younger than 6. 301-932-1399 or 301-934-8221.
GHOSTS OF SOTTERLEY -- 6:30-10:30 p.m. Saturday. Tours of the plantation with a slightly spooky Halloween theme and an outdoor Victorian dramatic production. $12 general admission. Sotterley Plantation, 44300 Sotterley Lane, Hollywood. To reserve, call 301-373-2280. www.sotterley.org.
FIRE DEPARTMENT FUN FEST -- 10 a.m.-3 p.m. Saturday. A staged vocal contest, a craft and bake sale, duck-calling contest and a mini-quilt show. Held rain or shine. St. Leonard Volunteer Fire Department, 200 Calvert Beach Rd., St. Leonard. Free. 410-586-0682.
TEXAS HOLD'EM TOURNAMENT -- 4 p.m. doors open; 5 p.m. games begin. Oct. 22. Hosted by the Indian Head Volunteer Fire Department and Rescue Squad. Must be 18 to play, identification required. Indian Head Fire Department, 4095 Indian Head Hwy., Indian Head. Entry fee determined by the number of players. To register, call 800-337-2217.
FALLFEST -- 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Oct. 22. Featuring vendors with crafts, wool rugs, knitted items, quilts, gift baskets, costumes, pet clothing, doll clothes, raffles, along with food and bake table. St. Andrews Church, Route 4, California. Free. 301-862-2247. www.standrewssomd.org.
MOUNT CARMEL BENEFIT -- The Restorers of Mount Carmel group sponsors a series of coach trips to benefit the new building fund at Mount Carmel Monastery. 301-645-5203.
* Oct. 29. A trip to Richmond for the Virginia Christmas Show, with culinary demonstrations and holiday shopping opportunities. Includes transportation, admission, dinner and driver gratuity, $60.
* Nov. 30 and Dec. 1. An overnight trip to the Patti Page Christmas Show in Greensburg, Pa. Includes transportation, show, lodging, two breakfasts, two dinners and driver gratuity. Price varies according to lodging arrangements.
VENDORS WANTED -- Groups seeking crafts and vendors for fairs, flea markets, trade fairs and similar events:
* 11 a.m.-4 p.m. Oct. 29. Halloween in the Garden. Seeking local organizations, businesses and individuals to register for a booth at the children's holiday event at Annmarie Garden. 410-326-4640.
* 9 a.m.- noon Nov. 5. Seeking crafters of baby- and toddler-themed items. Also seeking vendors of used toys, clothing and furniture for the Fall 2005 Baby Bazaar. Somers Community Center, 300 Willow Lane, La Plata. 301-932-6679.
* 9 a.m.-1 p.m. Nov. 19. Craft show at the Lexington Park United Methodist Church, 21760 Great Mills Rd., Lexington Park. $20 per table. Call 301-862-3516 or 301-737-4070 before Nov. 5.
In the Region
"WOMEN OF THE YI DYNASTY" -- 7 p.m. Friday. The 1969 Korean film examines the plight of women in Korean society through the treatment of women according to Confucian doctrine during the Chosun (or Yi) dynasty, which began in the late 14th century. Actor Choi Eun-hee and director Shin Sang-ok will be on hand for the screening. Freer Gallery's Meyer Auditorium, 12th Street and Jefferson Drive SW, Washington. Free tickets required to attend. 202-357-2700.
-- Compiled by MICHAEL TUNISON
To Submit an Item
Mail: Entertainment, Southern Maryland Extra, The Washington Post, 100 N. Oak Ave., La Plata, Md. 20646
Details: Send announcements and photos, noting the date, time, address and cost of the event, along with a phone number. The deadline is 14 days before publication. Events are listed as space permits.