The Oct. 14 obituary of Martha Louise Jewell May gave the wrong date for her death; it was Oct. 10. (Published 10/15/2005)

Robert James Weatherwax

CIA Officer

Robert James Weatherwax, 77, an international officer with the Central Intelligence Agency, died Oct. 10 of heart and respiratory ailments at his home in Ashburn.

Mr. Weatherwax was a Secret Service agent in New York City in the mid-1950s before he joined the CIA in 1958. He served primarily as an intelligence officer in international postings. He was fluent in Spanish and Portuguese and worked throughout Central America and South America. He met his future wife while assigned to Quito, Ecuador.

After retiring from the CIA in 1979, he worked in corporate security for Chesebrough-Ponds Inc., a cosmetics-manufacturing company in Greenwich, Conn. In 1985, he moved to Sterling and joined USATREX International Inc., which sent him overseas to develop security programs for U.S. embassies. He retired in 1999.

Mr. Weatherwax was born in Scotia, N.Y., and was a summa cum laude graduate of Siena College in Loudonville, N.Y. He later attended New York Medical College.

During the Korean War, he served in the Army Medical Corps in Japan. After his military service, he received a second bachelor's degree, in criminal justice, from Michigan State University.

He was a member of the American Society of Industrial Security and the International Association of Bomb Technicians and Investigators. He was also a member of Christ the Redeemer Catholic Church in Sterling.

Survivors include his wife of 44 years, Liliana Palacios Weatherwax of Ashburn; two sons, Paul Weatherwax of Ashburn and Robert Weatherwax of Reston; a sister; and three grandchildren.

Leo Levenbook

NIH Chemist

Leo Levenbook, 85, a research chemist, died of heart disease Oct. 8 at his home in Chevy Chase.

Dr. Levenbook worked at the National Institutes of Health as an insect biochemist for almost 30 years. He retired in 1985.

He was born in Kobe, Japan, of Russian parents and raised in England. He graduated from the University of London, and he received a doctoral degree in biochemistry from the University of Cambridge in 1950. Then he came to the United States and settled in the Washington area.

In retirement, he and his wife enjoyed world travel.

Survivors include his wife of 55 years, Alessandra Levenbook of Chevy Chase; a daughter, Leonore "Nini" Cavallero of Quito, Ecuador; and two grandchildren.

Martha Louise Jewell May

Musician, Church Member

Martha Louise Jewell May, 90, a musician, homemaker and church member, died of complications from Parkinson's disease Oct. 8 at the Westminster retirement community in Lake Ridge, where she lived.

She was born in Jackson, Tenn., and was raised in Fort Thomas, Ky. She moved to Cincinnati and worked as an administrative assistant for the Cincinnati Post and for Procter & Gamble. She was an early member of the Procter & Gamble glee club and, as part of a trio, sang popular songs on a local weekly radio broadcast. She married and moved to Atlanta, then to Falls Church in 1955.

She was a member of Dulin United Methodist Church in Falls Church and its women's service circle. She was a typist for the production of "The White House Chef Cookbook" in the 1960s. Also during the 1960s, she taught children in the special education program at Valleybrook School in Falls Church.

For many years, she was an administrative assistant in the chaplain's office at Sibley Memorial Hospital, until she retired in 1982. She returned to Cincinnati, then moved back to the Washington area in 1995.

An accomplished pianist, she played frequently during social events at Westminster. She also enjoyed gardening and reading about theology.

Her husband of 45 years, Donald Johnson May, died in 1988.

Survivors include three children, Barbara Jewell May of Danville, Ky., David William May of Scarborough, Maine, and Elizabeth May McKenna of Arlington; and three grandchildren.

Virginia Clay Green

Arlington County Clerk

Virginia Clay Green, 93, one of the "government girls" who came to the Washington area shortly before World War II and later an Arlington County employee, died Oct. 8 of a stroke at her home in Arlington.

Mrs. Green was born in Catlettsburg, Ky. After graduation from high school, she made her way in the early 1930s to the Washington area and worked for the federal government through World War II. In later years, she worked as deputy clerk for Arlington County. She was a member and past international officer and governor of the Quota Club, a service club for businesswomen.

Her marriage to Joseph Long ended in divorce. Her second husband, H. Bruce Green, died in 1993.

Survivors include a son from the first marriage, Stefan C. Long of Arlington; and four stepchildren from the second marriage, Harry Green of Washington and Richard Green, Thomas Green and Suzanne Hofe, all of Richmond; two grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren.

Harold D. Hoekstra

Aeronautical Engineer

Harold D. Hoekstra, 103, a retired aviation expert with the Federal Aviation Administration, died of cardiopulmonary arrest Oct. 10 at Sunrise at Bluemont Park, an assisted living community in Arlington. He had lived in Arlington since 1941.

Mr. Hoekstra was born in Chicago and grew up in Battle Creek, Mich. At 8, he watched in awe as a barnstorming Wright Brothers biplane took off from a baseball field in Battle Creek. That experience inspired a career and a lifelong fascination with flight.

He graduated from the University of Michigan in 1929 with a bachelor's degree in aeronautical engineering and, in the early 1930s, worked for several aviation companies in the Midwest and Upstate New York.

In 1936, he took a job with the FAA, where his primary responsibilities involved establishing safety standards for commercial aircraft. Later, at the onset of the jet age, he was responsible for working with many international aviation agencies to establish safety standards for jet-powered civil aircraft.

He was awarded a number of patents and was elected a Fellow of the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics, the Society of Automotive Engineers and the British Royal Aeronautical Society. He also was elected to the Tau Beta Pi national engineering honorary society.

Mr. Hoekstra retired in 1969. During his long retirement, he had three hobbies, a son said -- "airplanes, airplanes and more airplanes." On family vacations, he visited airports, and at home he read aviation magazines. He had held a commercial pilot's license, and he continued to fly private planes until age 85.

He also was an inveterate writer of letters to the editor. In a 1983 letter to Aviation Week & Space Technology, he remarked that the $20.5 billion price tag for 100 B-1B bombers could provide housing for more than 1.5 million people. "Too bad we don't seem to be able to switch more effort from swords to plowshares," he wrote.

In a 1983 Aviation Week letter, he proposed runway traffic lights to prevent landing and takeoff collisions.

His wife, Laura Hoekstra, died in 1992.

Survivors include four children, Elizabeth Hoekstra of Wilkes-Barre, Pa., Thomas Hoekstra of Midlothian, Va., Ann Hoekstra of North Huntingdon, Pa., and Dirk Hoekstra of Los Altos, Calif.; nine grandchildren; and 10 great-grandchildren.

John 'Barney' Howard Bernard

Conference Planner

John "Barney" Howard Bernard, 85, a retired conference planner at the Center for Strategic and International Studies, died of complications of a fall Oct. 9 at Craven Regional Hospital in New Bern, N.C.

Mr. Bernard, a former Arlington resident, worked at the CSIS at Georgetown University from 1967 to 1982. He moved to New Bern in 1991.

He was born in New Rochelle, N.Y, and served in the military for 22 years. During World War II, he was in Burma and worked for the Office of Strategic Services, the predecessor of the Central Intelligence Agency.

He reenlisted in the Army Air Forces in 1945 and retired as a master sergeant in 1966. His awards include a Bronze medal.

Mr. Bernard served on Board of USLICO, an insurance concern, and was active on Arlington County government commissions. He belonged to the Elks and Masons.

He was a gourmet chef and avid reader. He loved playing cards, and he loved his cats, Amos and Andy.

His marriages to Diana Lewis Bernard and Betty Johnson Bernard ended in divorce.

A daughter from the first marriage, Michelle "Mickey" Bernard Penrose, died in June .

Survivors include his wife of 33 years, Jane Bernard of New Bern; a son from the second marriage, John H. Bernard Jr. of Arlington; a brother; and a granddaughter.