These organizations need volunteer help for a day, a week or on a regular basis.
Chesapeake Ecology Center needs volunteers from 9 a.m. to noon Saturday on national Make a Difference Day to install a native-plant shade garden. Dress for the weather. Tools, gloves and snacks will be provided. Chesapeake Ecology Center is along the headwaters of College Creek at Adams Park, 245 Clay St., Annapolis. Contact Zora, firstname.lastname@example.org, Thistle, email@example.com, Vince, firstname.lastname@example.org, or go to www.ChesapeakeEcologyCenter.org.
Citizen Corps Council of Anne Arundel County and Annapolis and Volunteer Center for Anne Arundel County are assembling starter disaster kits for isolated county residents who are seniors or disabled and need these items: flashlights, battery/crank radios, batteries, light sticks, water bottles (one-liter), nutrition bars and dust masks. Donations will be accepted tomorrow through Nov. 28 at the Volunteer Center, 2666 Riva Rd., Suite 130, Annapolis. For information, call 410-897-9207 or e-mail email@example.com.
Partners in Care helps frail seniors and disabled adults stay independent in their homes by linking them with neighbors who volunteer to help with occasional tasks and errands. Participants can provide services, receive services or both. For each hour of service donated, an hour of service credit is earned. That credit can be used later by the individual or donated back to the program for others in need. Drivers are needed for its Ride Partners program to provide transportation for longer distances or for multiple weekly trips. Drivers are reimbursed for gas and mileage. Partners in Care welcome any talents and time that anyone can offer. For information, call Joyce Cavey at 410-544-4800, Ext. 22.
Volunteer Center for Anne Arundel County is recruiting and referring volunteers for many projects tomorrow and Saturday, which is national Make a Difference Day. For information about these projects, contact the Volunteer Center at 410-897-9207 or firstname.lastname@example.org. The projects include:
* Arc of Anne Arundel County is looking for volunteers to work Saturday in its MaryLandscapes Sensory Garden in Annapolis.
* Bello Machre's projects throughout Anne Arundel County tomorrow include landscaping, outdoor repairs and interior painting of homes, and making holiday cards for those served by Bello Machre. Groups and individuals of all ages are welcome.
* Books for International Goodwill (B.I.G) Project needs help from 3 to 7 p.m. tomorrow and from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday to prepare and sort books. The new B.I.G. warehouse is in the Triangle Tobacco Warehouse in Waysons Corner, 1325 Marlboro Road.
* Chesapeake Children's Museum needs volunteers Saturday to replace wood chips on its nature trail, clean up woodlands, mulch garden areas, plant fall perennials in the BayScapes gardens and plant fern or rain gardens.
* GreenScape needs help from 9 to 11 a.m. Saturday to assist with several planting locations in Annapolis.
* Happy Helpers for the Homeless volunteers will take a group of homeless people out for a day of rarely offered services in Glen Burnie from 7:30 to 11:30 a.m. Saturday.
* Project Linus -- Anne Arundel County works to comfort seriously ill and traumatized children by making and donating blankets. People can drop off blankets they have made at home or come to work for a few hours from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday at the Community Center in Severna Park.
* Providence Center needs a group to host a pizza or ice cream party tomorrow at its Glen Burnie location.
* Rebuilding Together -- Anne Arundel County Inc. needs skilled carpenters and volunteers handy with measurements, hammers, nails and with lifting to help its board of directors build ramps Saturday.
* Spa Creek Conservancy needs volunteers Saturday to help with native plantings, erosion control, rain-garden maintenance and wetland grass planting and to work on a kayak launch area.
-- Compiled by SHARON FANNING
To Submit an Item
Mail: Volunteers, Anne Arundel Extra, The Washington Post, 3 Church Cir., Annapolis. 21401
Details: Items, which are published weekly on a space-available basis, are accepted from nonprofit groups.