SQUARE DANCES -- 7:30-9:30 p.m. tomorrow. First, third and fifth Fridays of each month, presented by the Southern Merry-Landers Square Dance Club. John Hanson Middle School, 12350 Vivian Adams Dr., Waldorf. $5.50; $4, members. 301-893-1974.
SQUARE DANCES -- 7 p.m. tomorrow. Regular club square dances presented by the Aqua Squares Dance Club. Southern Community Center, 20 Appeal Lane, Lusby. $5 per person. 410-586-3587 or 301-373-2207.
GIUSEPPE NOVA -- 3 p.m. Sunday. The Italian flutist presents an afternoon of selections from Mozart's flute quartets and Beethoven's Serenade for Flute, Violin and Viola in D (Op. 25). Auerbach Auditorium, St. Mary's College of Maryland, 18952 E. Fisher Rd., St. Mary's City. Free. 240-895-4381.
HURRICANE RELIEF CONCERT -- Sunday. Noon, gate opens; 1 p.m., show begins. All proceeds to benefit Hurricane Katrina relief efforts in Harrison County, Miss., a sister county to St. Mary's. Daryle Singletary, Jeff Carson and Rhett Akins play 90-minute sets; opening band is Snakebite. Concert held rain or shine. 200 Calvert Beach Rd., St. Leonard. $102 super premium seats; $52 premium seats; $27 general admission. 410-586-1713.
KIM LIBERTO -- Tomorrow. 7 p.m. doors open; 8-10 p.m. show. Rock show is part of a regular music night at the Cup Coffeehouse of the First Baptist Church of La Plata, held the first and third Fridays of each month. First Baptist Church of La Plata, 9070 Hawthorne Rd., La Plata. Free. 301-392-1632 or www.fbclaplata.org.
FEDERAL JAZZ COMMISSION -- 8 p.m. Saturday. The District-based group specializing in the small-band jazz of the 1920s performs as part of the Performing Arts Series, presented by GFWC Women's Club of St. Mary's County. Great Mills High School, 21130 Great Mills Rd., Great Mills. $20; $15 for ages 15 and younger. 301-475-3225 or www.federaljazzcommission.com.
ART IN THE PARK -- 10:30-11:30 a.m. today. Children ages 2-5 take a walk to gather supplies to make nature art. Participants should dress appropriately for weather. A drink and snack provided. Cove Point Park, 750 Cove Point Rd., Lusby. Free. 410-586-1101.
GATHER 'ROUND THE CAMPFIRE -- 6 p.m. Saturday. Families share stories about animal encounters, with marshmallows provided to make treats. Battle Creek Cypress Swamp, 2880 Grays Rd., Prince Frederick. $3 per person; $1, Battle Creek Nature Education Society members and children attending with a paying adult. 410-535-5327.
SHARING THE HARVEST -- 6-7:30 p.m. tomorrow. A family program with a reenactment of the story "Stone Soup" and samples of the soup. Battle Creek Cypress Swamp, 2880 Grays Rd., Prince Frederick. $3 per adult; $1, Battle Creek Nature Education Society members and children attending with paying adult. 410-535-5327.
CRITTER CORNER -- 2-3 p.m. Saturday. A family program to learn the characteristics and habitats of mammals. Battle Creek Cypress Swamp, 2880 Grays Rd., Prince Frederick. Free. 410-535-5327.
EVENING HALLOWEEN STORY TIME -- Stories, songs and Halloween activities at Calvert County libraries. Costumes are welcome. Free.
* 7 p.m. Wednesday. Prince Frederick Branch Library, 30 Duke St., Prince Frederick. 301-855-1862 or 410-535-0291.
* 7 p.m. Thursday. Fairview branch ibrary, 8120 Southern Maryland Blvd., Owings. 410-257-2101.
* 6:30 p.m. Thursday. Southern branch library, 20 Appeal Lane, Lusby. 410-326-5289.
* 7 p.m. Thursday. Twin Beaches branch library, 3819 Harbor Rd., Chesapeake Beach. 410-257-2411.
FALL PRESCHOOL STORY TIMES -- Free program at Charles County public libraries for ages 2 to 5.
* 10 a.m., 11 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. Tuesday. Potomac branch library, 3225 Ruth B. Swann Dr., Indian Head. 301-375-7375.
* 10 a.m., 11 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. Wednesday. P.D. Brown branch ilibrary, 50 Village St., Waldorf. 301-645-2864.
* 10 a.m., 11 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. Thursday. La Plata branch library, 2 Garrett Ave., La Plata. 301-934-9001.
BABY STEPS STORY TIMES -- Free program at St. Mary's County public libraries for ages 2 to 12 months. www.stmalib.org.
* 9:30 a.m., Tuesday. Charlotte Hall library, 37600 New Market Rd., Charlotte Hall. 301-884-2211.
* 9:15 a.m. Monday. Lexington Park library, 21677 FDR Blvd., Lexington Park. 301-863-8188.
* 10 a.m. Monday. Leonardtown library, 23250 Hollywood Rd., Leonardtown. 301-475-2846.
TODDLER STORY TIMES -- Free program at St. Mary's public libraries. Music is used to encourage audience participation. Ages 1-21/2 years. 301-475-2846 or www.stmalib.org/kprog.html.
* 10 a.m. and 10:30 a.m. Tuesday. Charlotte Hall library, 37600 New Market Rd., Charlotte Hall. 301-884-2211.
* 9:45 a.m. and 10:30 a.m. Monday. Lexington Park library, 21677 FDR Blvd., Lexington Park. 301-863-8188.
* 10:30 a.m. Monday and 10 a.m. Wednesday. Leonardtown library, 23250 Hollywood Rd., Leonardtown. 301-475-2846.
PRESCHOOL STORY TIME -- Free program at St. Mary's public libraries.
* 10 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. Wednesday. Charlotte Hall library, 37600 New Market Rd., Charlotte Hall. 301-884-2211.
* 10:30 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. Wednesday. Leonardtown Llibrary, 23250 Hollywood Rd., Leonardtown. 301-475-2846.
* 10:30 a.m. and 1:15 p.m. Thursday. Lexington Park library, 21677 FDR Blvd., Lexington Park. 301-863-8188.
CUDDLE UP AND READ TO ME -- For age 2 and younger, to develop basic language skills. Adult must accompany child. Free. www.calvert.lib.md.us.
* 9:15-9:35 a.m. Tuesday and Wednesday. Prince Frederick branch library, 30 Duke St., Prince Frederick. 301-855-1862 or 410-535-0291.
* 9:30-9:50 a.m. Tuesday. Fairview branch library, 8120 Southern Maryland Blvd., Owings. 410-257-2101.
* 9:45-10:05 a.m. Wednesday. Southern branch library, 20 Appeal Lane, Lusby. 410-326-5289.
* 9:15-9:35 a.m. Wednesday. Twin Beaches branch library, 3819 Harbor Rd., Chesapeake Beach. 410-257-2411.
2- TO 3-YEAR-OLD STORY TIME -- Designed to improve listening skills and group activity. Children will also make a craft. Free. www.calvert.lib.md.us.
* 9:45-10:15 a.m. Tuesday and Wednesday. Prince Frederick branch ibrary, 30 Duke St., Prince Frederick. 301-855-1862 or 410-535-0291.
* 10-10:30 a.m. Tuesday. Fairview branch library, 8120 Southern Maryland Blvd., Owings. 410-257-2101.
* 10-10:30 a.m. Tuesday, 10:15-10:45 a.m. and 11-11:30 a.m. Wednesday. Southern branch library, 20 Appeal Lane, Lusby. 410-326-5289.
* 11-11:30 a.m. Wednesday. Twin Beaches branch library, 3819 Harbor Rd., Chesapeake Beach. 410-257-2411.
4- TO 5-YEAR-OLD STORY TIME -- Designed to emphasize skills the child will need to attend school. www.calvert.lib.md.us.
* 1-1:45 p.m. Tuesday and Wednesday. Prince Frederick branch library, 30 Duke St., Prince Frederick. 301-855-1862 or 410-535-0291.
* 1-1:45 p.m. Tuesday. Fairview branch library, 8120 Southern Maryland Blvd., Owings. 410-257-2101.
* 1-1:45 p.m. Tuesday. Southern branch library, 20 Appeal Lane, Lusby. 410-326-5289.
* 1-1:45 p.m. Wednesday. Twin Beaches branch library, 3819 Harbor Rd., Chesapeake Beach. 410-257-2411.
FAMILY STORY TIME -- Free program offered by Calvert County public libraries to families with children 5 and younger. Children also make crafts. Must be accompanied by an adult. 410-535-0291. www.calvert.lib.md.us.
* 11-11:45 a.m. Tuesday; 9:30-10:15 a.m. Saturday. Fairview branch library, 8120 Southern Maryland Blvd., Owings. 410-257-2101.
* 10:30-11:15 a.m. Tuesday and Wednesday; 9:30-10:15 a.m. Saturday. Prince Frederick branch library, 30 Duke St., Prince Frederick. 301-855-1862 or 410-535-0291.
* 10:45-11:30 a.m. Tuesday; 10-10:45 a.m. Saturday. Southern branch library, 20 Appeal Lane, Lusby. 410-326-5289.
* 10-10:45 a.m. Tuesday; 9:30-10:15 a.m. Saturday. Twin Beaches branch library, 3819 Harbor Rd., Chesapeake Beach. 410-257-2411.
In the Schools
SUPERINTENDENT'S ART GALLERY -- 8 a.m.-4 p.m. Mondays-Fridays. Displays of St. Mary's County student artwork. St. Mary's County public schools central administration building, 23160 Moakley St., Leonardtown. 301-475-5511, Ext. 112.
PASSAGES -- 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday-Friday. Roughly 1,550 square feet of fabric was used to make painted panels, which were completed by more than 500 community members. They were inspired by Christo and Jeanne-Claude's "The Gates," last year's installation in New York's Central Park. Annmarie Garden, 13480 Dowell Rd., Solomons. Free. 410-326-4640 or www.annmariegarden.org.
SEEDS OF SOUTHERN MARYLAND -- Open through Oct. 30. Gallery hours are 11 a.m.-6 p.m. Tuesdays through Saturdays and noon-4 p.m. Sundays. Closed Mondays. An all-member show featuring the natural beauty and culture of Southern Maryland. North End Gallery, 41652 Fenwick St., Leonardtown. Free. 301-475-3130 or www.northendgallery.org.
TONY HUNGERFORD MEMORIAL GALLERY -- 3:30-7 p.m. Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, through Nov. 6. Painting and drawings by artist Constance Simon. College of Southern Maryland, La Plata campus, 8730 Mitchell Rd., La Plata. Free. 301-934-7828 or 301-870-3008, Ext. 7828.
ANDREA PITZER EXHIBIT -- Tomorrow through Nov. 13. Gallery open 11 a.m.-4 p.m. Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays. The artist uses Greek mythology, through words and images, to explore the human struggle against being bound or imprisoned by words. Mattawoman Art Center, Smallwood State Park, Route 224, Marbury. Free. 301-743-5159.
"HORSIN' AND PAINTING AROUND THE WORLD" -- 11 a.m.-4 p.m. Friday-Sunday.Mattawoman Creek artist Mary Sokol displays travel and horse paintings. Mattawoman Creek Art Center, Smallwood State Park, Route 224, Marbury. Free. 301-743-5159 or www.mattawomanart.org.
CRAZY CORN MAZE -- 11 a.m.-dusk Saturday and Sunday, through Nov. 27. A corn maze, hayride, farm animals, picnic area and local produce. Weekdays by appointment. Forrest Hall Farm, 39136 Avie Lane, Mechanicsville. $6; children younger than 3, free. 301-884-3086 or www.forresthallfarm.com.
"FUENTE OVEJUNA" -- 8 p.m. today through Saturday; 2 p.m. Sunday; 8 p.m. Oct. 27-29 and 2 p.m. Oct. 30. Lope de Vega's 1619 classic depicts townspeople rebelling against a tyrannical lord after his forces terrorize the town's peasant inhabitants. Bruce David Theatre, Montgomery Hall Fine Arts Center, St. Mary's College of Maryland, 18952 E. Fisher Rd., St. Mary's City. $3.50 to $5 for general admission. 240-895-4243.
"THE COCOONERY" -- 8:15 p.m. Tuesday. Professor and playwright Merideth Taylor reads from her latest play, set at the titular poorhouse in St. Mary's County during the social ferment of the Civil War. Production of the play is scheduled for April. Bruce Davis Theatre, St. Mary's College of Maryland, 18952 E. Fisher Rd., St. Mary's City. Free. 240-895-4381.
"CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE SPIRIT KIND" -- 6:30 p.m. Saturday and Sunday. Four short dramas performed by the South Potomac Church Drama Team that touch upon the existence of a spirit world. South Potomac Church, 4915 Crain Hwy., White Plains. $25 per person. For tickets, call 301-753-4075.
CHILDREN'S BOOKS WORKSHOP -- 9:30 a.m. Saturday. Discussion will touch upon the differences between books on children and those for children, the types of books aimed at kids, childhood and conceptual development, and the market for children's books. The next week, participants can bring in their work to share and determine their next steps. Prince Frederick branch library, 30 Duke St., Prince Frederick. Free. 301-855-1862 or 410-535-0291.
POET'S CORNER -- 7-8:30 p.m. Members of the discussion and workshop group are encouraged to bring eight copies of a poem they would like to share and discuss. Prince Frederick branch library, 30 Duke St., Prince Frederick. Free. 301-855-1862 or 410-535-0291.
BOOK DISCUSSION -- 2-3:30 p.m. A talk about the book "Mountains Beyond Mountains" by Tracy Kidder, a biography of physician Paul Farmer, an infectious disease specialist who explored the world's health, economic and social problems. Southern branch library, 20 Appeal Lane, Lusby. Free. 410-326-5289.
TEXAS HOLD 'EM TOURNAMENT -- Saturday. 4 p.m., doors open; 5 p.m., games begin. Hosted by the Indian Head Volunteer Fire Department and Rescue Squad. Must be 18 to play; identification required. Indian Head Fire Department, 4095 Indian Head Hwy., Indian Head. Entry fee determined by the number of players. To register, call 800-337-2217.
ROAST BEEF DINNER -- 5-8 p.m. tomorrow. Menu includes mashed potatoes with gravy, green beans, Southwestern corn, rolls, coffee and tea. American Legion Post 82, 6330 Crain Hwy., La Plata. $8 per person. 301-934-8221.
"ULTIMATE COMEDY THEATRE" -- 5 p.m. and 8 p.m. Saturday. Tim Hawkins, Cleto Rodriguez and Bob Smiley perform an evening of family-friendly stand-up, hosted by Chesapeake Church. Mary D. Harrison Cultural Arts Center, 2950 Chaneyville Rd., Owings. $15 per ticket; $10 each, five or more. To reserve, call 410-257-0700.
MOUNT CARMEL PRE-CHRISTMAS SALE -- 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Saturday and 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Sunday. Proceeds benefit the nuns of Mount Carmel Monastery. Christmas and religious items, gifts, artwork, books, toys and baked goods for sale. Mount Carmel Monastery, 5678 Mount Carmel Rd., La Plata (off Mitchell Road across from the College of Southern Maryland). 301-392-3664.
ALL-YOU-CAN-EAT FALL DINNER FEST -- 1-5 p.m. Sunday. Menu includes fried oysters, fried chicken, ham and fixings. There will also be a money wheel, silent auction and bingo. Carryout service available. $19 for adults in advance, $20 at the door; $11 for ages 6-11 in advance, $12 at the door; free for children younger than 6. St. Mary's Bryantown Catholic Church, 13715 Notre Dame Pl., Bryantown. 301-274-3187 or 301-870-2220.
"IMPOSSIBLE MADE POSSIBLE" -- Saturday. Magician Michael Chamberlin conjures up contemporary takes on some time-tested magic effects using music, comedy and audience participation. The show is sponsored by the Shelley A. Marshall Foundation. Free.
* 10 a.m. La Plata branch library, 2 Garrett Ave., La Plata. 301-934-9001.
* 1 p.m. P.D. Brown Branch Library, 50 Village St., Waldorf. 301-645-2864.
* 3:30 p.m. Potomac Branch Library, 3225 Ruth B. Swann Dr., Indian Head. 301-375-7375.
ALL FAITH CHURCH FALL DINNER -- Menu includes fried chicken, oysters, white potatoes, green beans, beets, applesauce, coleslaw, rolls, coffee and tea. There will also be a craft table, a raffle and a silent auction. Carryout is available. Mechanicsville Volunteer Fire Department, 28165 Hills Club Rd., Mechanicsville. $15 for adults; $7, ages 6-12; free, children 5 and younger. 301-884-3773 or www.allfaithchurch.com.
FALLFEST -- 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Saturday. Featuring vendors with crafts, wool rugs, knitted items, quilts, gift baskets, costumes, pet clothing, doll clothes, raffles, food and bake table. St. Andrews Church, Route 4, California. Free. 301-862-2247 or www.standrewssomd.org.
COLONIAL FALL FESTIVAL -- 11 a.m.-5 p.m. Saturday. An 18-century encampment with demonstrations, Colonial children's games, candlemaking, cooking in a hearth with guided tours and more. Smallwood State Park, 2750 Sweden Point Rd., Marbury. $2 per car. 301-743-7613.
"RUMORS" -- 8 p.m. Nov. 4, 5, 11 and 12. The Patuxent Playhouse presents Neil Simon's play about four couples at a madcap dinner party that gets out of control. St. John Vianney Family Life Center, 105 Vianney Lane, Prince Frederick. $15. 410-414-9099 or www.patuxentplayhouse.com.
HALLOWEEN MOVIE -- 6:30-9 p.m. Oct. 28. A screening of the movie "The Ring." Prince Frederick Branch Library, 30 Duke St., Prince Frederick. Free. 410-535-0291.
HAUNTED STAGE -- 5-7 p.m. Kids 12 and younger enter a spooky stage where theater spirits lurk. College of Southern Maryland, La Plata Campus, Fine Arts Center Theatre, 8730 Mitchell Rd., La Plata. $2 admission. 301-934-7828, 301-870-3008, Ext. 7828 or www.csmd.edu/finearts.
HALLOWEEN TRAIL RIDE -- Oct. 30. 9:30 a.m. registration; 11 a.m., ride begins. A benefit horseback trail ride through Greenwell State Park, to support the Greenwell Foundation's therapeutic riding program. There will also be a tack sale and holiday treats. Greenwell State Park, 25420 Rosedale Manor Lane, Hollywood. $20 per rider. 301-373-5333 or www.greenwellfoundation.org.
MOUNT CARMEL BENEFIT -- The Restorers of Mount Carmel group sponsors a series of coach trips to benefit the new building fund at Mount Carmel Monastery. 301-645-5203.
* Oct. 29. A trip to Richmond for the Virginia Christmas Show, with culinary demonstrations and holiday shopping opportunities. $60 includes transportation, admission, dinner and driver gratuity.
* Nov. 30 and Dec. 1. An overnight trip to the Patti Page Christmas Show in Greensburg, Pa. Includes transportation, show, lodging, two breakfasts, two dinners and tip for driver. Price varies according to lodging arrangements.
VENDORS WANTED -- Groups seeking crafts makers and vendors for fairs, flea markets, trade fairs and similar events:
* 11 a.m.-4 p.m. Oct. 29. Halloween in the Garden. Seeking local organizations, businesses and individuals to register for a booth at the children's holiday event at Annmarie Garden, 13480 Dowell Rd., Solomons. 410-326-4640.
* 9 a.m.-noon Nov. 5. Seeking makers of baby and toddler-themed items, as well as vendors of used toys, clothing and furniture, for the annual baby bazaar. Somers Community Center, 300 Willow Lane, La Plata. 301-932-6679.
* 9 a.m.-1 p.m. Nov. 19. Craft show at Lexington Park United Methodist Church, 21760 Great Mills Rd., Lexington Park. $20 per table. Call 301-862-3516 or 301-737-4070 before Nov. 5.
* 9 a.m.-2 p.m. Dec. 3. Annual holiday craft bazaar. Calvert Country School, 1350 Dares Beach Rd., Prince Frederick. To register, call 410-535-7300 before Nov. 11.
* 10 a.m.-3 p.m. Dec.4. holiday craft fair. Local crafts makers invited to take part. Sponsored by the Humane Society of Charles County. $35 to rent 6-foot-by-6-foot space, $8 to rent 2-foot-by-6-foot table. Thomas Stone High School, 3785 Leonardtown Rd., Waldorf. To reserve, call 301-645-1063, Ext. 3 or visit www.humanesocietycc.org.
-- Compiled by MICHAEL TUNISON
To Submit an Item
Mail: Entertainment, Southern Maryland Extra, The Washington Post, 100 N. Oak Ave., La Plata, Md. 20646
Details: Send announcements and photos, noting the date, time, address and cost of the event, along with a phone number. The deadline is 14 days before publication. Events are listed as space permits.