Paul Jennings Brown

Army Colonel

Paul Jennings Brown, 76, a retired Army colonel who was co-owner of Jobin Realty in Fairfax County for 27 years, died of a brain hemorrhage Sept. 16 at Inova Fairfax Hospital.

Col. Brown was born in Washington and raised in Fairfax County, where his father, Paul E. Brown, was a senior District Court judge.

He graduated from Fairfax High School and was a member of the 1952 graduating class of the U.S. Military Academy at West Point. He received a master's degree in industrial engineering/operations research from Ohio State University in 1966.

During his military career, he served with the 11th Airborne Division, the 2nd Armored Division, the 25th Infantry Division and the 6th Armored Cavalry. He was also an assistant professor of mathematics at West Point and an adviser to a political war college in Vietnam during the war there.

He retired from active military duty in 1975 after about two years with the Army Concepts Analysis Agency.

Col. Brown volunteered with a number of business and civic organizations, including the Fairfax Rotary Club and the Fairfax County Chamber of Commerce.

He also served as president of the Interservice Club Council of Fairfax.

Survivors include his wife of 53 years, Patricia Brown of Fairfax Station; two children, Paula Brown Kelley of Fairfax Station and Patrick Brown of Mechanicsville; a sister, Natalie O'Keefe of Alexandria; and four grandchildren.

Tom Dodson

FAA Official

Tom Dodson, 90, a retired official with the Federal Aviation Administration and a longtime Fairfax City resident, died of lung cancer Sept. 26 at Inova Fairfax Hospital.

Mr. Dodson was born in Little Rock and joined the Navy in 1932. He told family members in later years that he enlisted because the Navy could guarantee him three square meals a day, a rarity in Arkansas during the Depression. "The Navy was my father and my mother," he often said.

After his discharge in 1940, he joined the Civil Aeronautics Administration, a forerunner of the FAA, and led a succession of air traffic control stations at out-of-the-way airfields in the West.

He met the woman who would become his second wife when she began working as a radio and Morse code operator at a remote airstrip in Utah, and he proudly said that pilots often landed at the field to hear her alluring voice. Years later, he and his wife continued to tap Morse code into each other's palms to exchange a private word at social events.

He moved to the Washington area in 1950 and remained with the CAA through its transition to the FAA. In 1969, he wrote and self-published "Working in a Washington Wonderland: Fun and Frolic in the Civil Service," a book of wry commentary on working in the federal bureaucracy. He had 1,000 copies printed and sold them all.

He retired in 1975 as director of the special projects office of the air traffic control division. From 1975 to 1985, he was director of business services at the University of Maryland.

Mr. Dodson was known in Fairfax for his regular appearances before the City Council, often taking members to task for their positions on taxes and other concerns. From 1970 to 1985, he published a neighborhood newsletter; U.S. senators from Virginia and several members of Congress asked to be on his mailing list. He also served as president of the Little River Hills homeowners association from 1980 to 1990 and as chairman of the police chief's advisory council for the Fairfax City police from 1987 to 1988.

Mr. Dodson, who continued driving and running errands until three weeks before his death, devoted himself to daily study of two publications, the Bible and the Wall Street Journal. He was a member of Bethel Regular Baptist Church in Great Falls.

For 40 years he followed a strenuous physical fitness and nutrition regimen, which included a three-mile morning jog with his dog through Daniels Run Park. He campaign successfully to persuade Fairfax City to put a bench at the park entrance, where he liked to catch his breath before beginning his uphill journey home.

His marriage to Gladys M. Dodson ended in divorce.

Survivors include his wife of 59 years, Ruth Elizabeth Dodson of Fairfax; a son from the first marriage, Thomas Augustus Moran of McLean; two sons from the second marriage, Thomas Pera Dodson of Fairfax City and Timothy Daniel Dodson of Bethesda; six grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.

Jack Eisenstadt


Jack Eisenstadt, 89, a retired cartographer for the Defense Mapping Agency, died Sept. 30 of congestive heart failure and pneumonia at Howard County General Hospital in Columbia. He was a longtime Silver Spring resident before moving to Columbia last month.

Born Jacob Eisenstadt in the Bronx, N.Y., he became Jack Eisenstadt as soon as he was old enough to have a say in the matter. He moved to the Washington area in 1941 to work for the War Department. During World War II, he was a photogrammetrist specialist with the Army's 64th Engineer Topographic Battalion in Hawaii and Guam, producing operational maps and charts for allied forces in the Pacific.

His decorations included the Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Medal and the World War II Victory Medal.

After the war, he returned to Washington and his job with the Defense Mapping Agency, then known as the Army Map Service. During his 30 years as a cartographer, he represented the agency throughout the world, notably in Germany for an extended period after World War II and in Southeast Asia as the project manager of the Mekong Delta reclamation project during the 1960s. He spent considerable time in Thailand and South Vietnam.

He received numerous awards and commendations during his career, including recognition for developing a mapping process that resulted in substantial savings for the federal government.

After his retirement in 1976, he got his residential real estate license and worked as an agent for Colquitt-Carruthers.

He enjoyed golf and was an avid reader and student of politics and world affairs. He was an active member of Ohr Kodesh Congregation of Chevy Chase for more than 50 years.

Survivors include his wife of 59 years, Revelyn Eisenstadt of Columbia; three children, Susan Dreifuss of Columbia, David Eisenstadt of Potomac and Gail Rosenberg of Charlotte; a sister; and 10 grandchildren.

William R.S. Fan

Auto Safety Engineer

William R.S. Fan, 68, who spent the last 30 years as an auto safety engineer for the Transportation Department's National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, died Oct. 16 at Inova Fair Oaks Hospital. He had liver cancer.

Dr. Fan, a Fairfax County resident, conducted research into air bags and recommended their implementation in vehicles.

He was a native of Zhejiang, China, and a graduate of National Taiwan University. He received a master's degree in civil engineering from North Carolina State University and a doctorate in civil engineering from the University of Michigan.

Before settling in the Washington area in 1975, he was an auto safety engineer for the Ford Motor Co. in Dearborn, Mich.

He did volunteer work at a Chinese school in Annandale.

Survivors include his wife of 41 years, Jane Yu Fan of Fairfax County; two sons, Chris Y. Fan of Hummelstown, Pa., and Timothy M. Fan of Champaign, Ill.; his mother, Shu-Ying Fan of Taiwan; three brothers; and three grandchildren.

Priscilla H. Foster

IRS Program Analyst

Priscilla Hopkins Foster, 77, who spent about 25 years with the Internal Revenue Service before retiring in the early 1990s as a program analyst, died Oct. 17 at Doctors Community Hospital in Lanham. She had a brain aneurysm.

Mrs. Foster, a Bowie resident, did secretarial work for the Defense Department before joining the IRS.

She was born in Bemidji, Minn., and grew up mostly in Arlington, where she graduated from Washington-Lee High School.

Among her hobbies was watching her grandchildren play sports, including baseball. A grandson, Matt Cooksey, was drafted this summer by the Toronto Blue Jays.

Her marriage to William Foster ended in divorce.

Survivors include three children, Debbie Cooksey of Bowie, Robert Foster of Mount Airy and Howard Foster of Newnan, Ga.; a brother; and five grandchildren.

Hazel Mitchell Geib

Administrative Assistant

Hazel Mitchell Geib, 70, who for decades was an administrative assistant for the Department of the Navy, died of cancer Oct. 16 at her home in Newburg.

Mrs. Geib worked for the Navy at the David Taylor Model Basin, now the Naval Surface Warfare Center, Carderock Division, for almost 35 years. She coordinated and ran the legal office for the patent attorneys, and her knowledge and people skills made her a favorite with the scientists and engineers who came to the office. She worked there from 1956 until 1991, when she retired.

A native Washingtonian, she graduated from Bethesda-Chevy Chase High School. She lived in Cabin John for 30 years, then moved to Potomac in 1984. In 1997, she then moved to Newburg.

She was a member of the Rockville Lioness Club when she lived in Potomac, and joined the La Plata Lions Club after moving to Newburg. She was a member of the La Plata United Methodist Church and joined the Ladies of Charity volunteer group at the Holy Ghost Catholic Church in Issue.

Her first husband of 29 years, Joseph E. Reid, died in 1983.

Survivors include her husband of 21 years, F. Ellsworth Geib Jr. of Newburg; two sons from her first marriage, Joseph Edward Reid Jr. of Linden, Va., and Michael W. Reid of Cabin John; two stepchildren, Laurie Young of Bethesda and John C. Geib of Texas; a sister; a brother, Robert E. Mitchell of Newburg; and six grandchildren.

David R. Kelley

Aviation Safety Expert

David R. Kelley, 72, a retired aviation safety expert, died of cancer Sept. 25 at the Hernando-Pasco Hospice in Hernando County, Fla. He had lived in Arlington from 1958 until last year.

Mr. Kelley worked for federal air safety agencies for 31 years, starting as an air traffic controller and retiring in 1990 as chief of the operational factors division at the National Transportation Safety Board. In his last job, he oversaw post-crash investigations of flight crew operations, the air traffic control system and meteorology, and he developed safety recommendations to prevent accidents.

He also was responsible for monitoring the safety of the air traffic control system after the 1981 air traffic controller strike.

Mr. Kelley was born in Poughkeepsie, N.Y., and grew up in the Manchester-Hartford area of Connecticut. He attended Bates College in Lewiston, Maine.

He joined the Navy during the Korean War and was a fighter pilot with secondary duty in accident investigation, training and flight safety. He transferred to the Marine Corps and was discharged as a first lieutenant in 1958.

Mr. Kelley was an air traffic controller with the Federal Aviation Agency from 1959 to 1964 at the Washington Air Route Traffic Control Center. He then joined the Civil Aeronautics Board as an air safety investigator. That agency became part of the NTSB in 1966.

Mr. Kelley worked on an automated system that collected information on domestic civil aviation accidents and incidents, and later supervised the preparation and analysis of reports that made recommendations to prevent future accidents. He received numerous NTSB awards for improving safety in the nation's airspace.

After retiring from the government, Mr. Kelley joined Mitre Corp., a McLean systems engineering research and development center, where he was a member of the technical staff that developed programs to improve federal air and airport safety.

He retired a second time in 2002, and in 2004 moved to Homosassa, Fla.

Survivors include his wife of 48 years, Betty Jean Kelley of Homosassa; his daughter, Betty Lyne Kelley of Herndon; and two brothers.

Joseph Dill Baker King

Physician, Professor

Joseph Dill Baker King, a Chevy Chase physician and medical school professor before retiring in 1989, died Oct. 15 of cancer at his home in Chevy Chase. He was 86.

Dr. King was born in Baltimore, the second son of a prominent doctor. He attended Boys Latin School, where he learned to play lacrosse. At Princeton University, from which he graduated, he was selected as a first team All-American lacrosse player in 1941. He continued to play the sport with a club team of former college all-stars while attending Johns Hopkins University medical school. He received his medical degree in 1944.

During World War II, he served in the Army Medical Corps in Anchorage. After the war he joined his father as an internist in Baltimore and eventually opened his own office. He also taught medical students and residents as an assistant professor of medicine at Johns Hopkins and, later, George Washington University's medical school.

Dr. King moved to the Washington area in 1970 and opened a private practice in Chevy Chase. He also worked in the medical clinic for Foreign Service officers in the State Department.

He played tennis weekly at the Chevy Chase Club until last year. He owned a home in Wintergreen, Va., where he also enjoyed hiking and skiing.

He was a board member and consultant to the Visiting Nurses Association of Washington. In his retirement, Dr. King was a docent at the historic Octagon House in Washington.

His marriage to Clare Vickers King ended in divorce.

Survivors include his wife of 32 years, Margaret Hill King of Chevy Chase; four daughters from the first marriage, Charlotte Lilly of Tyaskin, Md., Clare King of Columbia, Ann Marshall of Cumming, Ga., and Julie Pryor of Atlanta; three stepchildren, John Hurd of Silver Spring, Charles Gray Hurd Jr. of Bethesda and Susan Hoff of Silver Spring; a brother; a sister; eight grandchildren; and four great-grandchildren.

William R.S. Fan researched the use of air bags in vehicles. Joseph King practiced medicine in Chevy Chase.