The Southern Maryland Heritage Area Consortium announced awards in its mini-grant program last week.
In its second year, the program nearly doubled its support for small projects for historic sites, arts programs, preservation, conservation and other cultural heritage activities.
Each grant is $500, the maximum amount allowed in the program.
Each organization must match its award. This year's award recipients are:
* Friends of St. Clement's Island and Piney Point Museums, for developing and printing a self-guided interpretive brochure for the Piney Point Lighthouse Museum and Park.
* Unified Committee for Afro-American Contributions, for repairing and repositioning three interpretive panels and one site identification sign at the Drayden African American Schoolhouse and replacing text panel inserts for three interpretive signs.
* Chesapeake Bay Floating Theatre, for updating a 1992 informational video about the old James Adams Floating Theatre.
The video will be shown at the Indian Head Center for the Arts and used for education and fund-raising.
* Chesapeake Bay Field Lab, for production of a four-minute video, "A Skipjack's Transformation."
* Bayside History Museum, for the purchase of a display case to house newly acquired materials.
* Bayside History Museum, to establish a museum Web site. The site would include basic information describing the museum and its hours of operation. Links to other museums in the region and other pertinent information would also be included.
* Friends of the Old Wallville School, for an interpretive brochure about the restored Old Wallville School, an early black one-room school in Calvert County. The school building has been preserved and is being refurbished to serve as a historic learning laboratory.
* Southern Maryland Chapter of the Isaak Walton League of America, for the development and production of a promotional brochure that would provide information about the organization, its facility, activities and its Re-use Barn program, which attempts to keep usable items out of the Charles County landfill.