D.C. police are investigating a range of possible motives behind the weekend shooting of a prominent hip-hop artist, saying they are not convinced that he was the victim of an attempted carjacking.

Police have made no arrests in the wounding of Cameron "Cam'ron" Giles, who was shot at least twice as he waited at a traffic signal in his 2006 Lamborghini, authorities said. The shooting took place about 12:15 a.m. Sunday in Northwest Washington.

Giles, who was wounded in both arms, was treated at Howard University Hospital and released the same day. His manager has said he believes the violence came during a "botched carjacking."

Investigators said they are examining several other potential motives and have not settled on one theory. They said Giles could have been shot in an attempted execution, targeted in retaliation for a perceived slight or fired upon in an incidence of road rage.

Although investigators have not ruled out carjacking as a possibility, police officials said evidence and witnesses are pointing them in other directions.

Giles, nicknamed "Killa Cam," was in the District for Howard University's homecoming and a celebrity-filled party Saturday night. After leaving the nightclub H2O in Southwest Washington, he drove alone in his Lamborghini and stopped at a red light at New York and New Jersey avenues NW, police said.

A burgundy Ford Expedition stopped beside him, police said. A man got out of the sport utility vehicle and, without saying a word, opened fire on Giles, police said.

A pink SUV filled with the rapper's friends was nearby when the shooting started, authorities said.

The actions of the gunman and the proximity of Giles's friends are among the reasons police do not believe carjacking was the motive, investigators said.

"If you are going to carjack a car, you don't shoot first. You try to get the driver out of the car," said one police official, speaking on condition of anonymity because the case is under investigation. "You also wouldn't do that in front of people."

The rapper's manager, Joseph "Big Joe" Sherman, said Sunday that Giles's entourage became separated from the Lamborghini and was not nearby when the shooting occurred. Sherman also said Sunday that the assailant was trying to steal Giles's expensive sports car.

Sherman maintained his assessment yesterday.

"It was a random act," Sherman said.

Giles could not be reached for comment. His spokeswoman said he was resting.

After the shooting, the gunman jumped back into the Expedition, which police believe was also occupied by another man, and drove away. The SUV was chased by two officers with the Federal Protective Service who were patrolling nearby, police said.

The vehicle crashed in the 600 block of U Street NW, briefly trapping the two men, police said. The gunman shot out a window and the men escaped, police said.

Police said they recovered a wealth of evidence from the scene and were able to locate the Expedition's owner, who said he had lent the SUV to a friend.

Upon being discharged from the hospital Sunday afternoon, Giles said "it was a sloppy job on their part," referring to the men in the Expedition.

"They didn't get anything," he said, pointing to the rows of shiny chains on his neck. A friend said that Giles was wearing $200,000 worth of diamonds and other jewelry at the time of the shooting.

Giles was in town to support artists on his label, Diplomat Records, and to party, said his spokeswoman, Lynn Hobson.

His forthcoming album, called "Killa Season," will be released in February, Hobson said yesterday.

Staff writer Hamil R. Harris and staff researcher Bobbye Pratt contributed to this report.

Cameron "Cam'ron" Giles says he was shot in a carjacking.