SQUARE DANCES -- 7:30 to 9:30 p.m. tomorrow. First, third and fifth Fridays of each month, presented by the Southern Merry-Landers Square Dance Club. John Hanson Middle School, 12350 Vivian Adams Dr., Waldorf. $5.50; $4, members. 301-893-1974.
SQUARE DANCES -- 7 p.m. tomorrow. Regular club square dances presented by the Aqua Squares Dance Club. Southern Community Center, 20 Appeal Lane, Lusby. $5 per person. 410-586-3587 or 301-373-2207.
U.S. NAVY SEA CHANTERS 50TH ANNIVERSARY PERFORMANCE -- 7:30 p.m. Saturday. The 17-member chorus of the U.S. Navy Band performs traditional choral music, sea chanteys and Broadway musicals. The show is part of the Sanford Concert Series. St. Andrews Episcopal Church, St. Andrews Church Road, California. Free. 301-862-9541.
"CAME DOWN SQUASH!" -- 10 to 11:30 a.m. Saturday. Youngsters ages 6 to 9 can explore and learn about the relative of the pumpkin, melon, cucumber and gourd, then make a squash decoration. Battle Creek Cypress Swamp, 2880 Grays Rd., Prince Frederick. $3; $1 Battle Creek Nature Education Society members. 410-535-5327.
"WHICH TREE IS WHICH?" -- 10 to 10:30 a.m. Wednesday. Children ages 2 and 3 discover how to identify types of trees and make a tree ID book. Battle Creek Cypress Swamp, 2880 Grays Rd., Prince Frederick. $3; $1 Battle Creek Nature Education Society members. To reserve, call 410-535-5327.
FALL PRESCHOOL STORY TIMES -- Free program at Charles County public libraries for ages 2 to 5.
* 10 and 11 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. Tuesday. Potomac Branch library, 3225 Ruth B. Swann Dr., Indian Head. 301-375-7375.
* 10 and 11 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. Wednesday. P.D. Brown Memorial Branch library, 50 Village St., Waldorf. 301-645-2864.
* 10 and 11 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. Thursday. La Plata Branch library, 2 Garrett Ave., La Plata. 301-934-9001.
BABY STEPS STORY TIMES -- Free program at St. Mary's County public libraries for ages two to 12 months. www.stmalib.org.
* 9:30 a.m., Tuesday. Charlotte Hall library, 37600 New Market Rd., Charlotte Hall. 301-884-2211.
* 9:15 a.m. Monday. Lexington Park library, 21677 FDR Blvd., Lexington Park. 301-863-8188.
* 10 a.m. Monday. Leonardtown library, 23250 Hollywood Rd., Leonardtown. 301-475-2846.
TODDLER STORY TIMES -- Free program at St. Mary's public libraries. Music is used to encourage audience participation. Ages 1 to 21/2years. 301-475-2846 or www.stmalib.org/kprog.html.
* 10 and 10:30 a.m. Tuesday, Charlotte Hall library, 37600 New Market Rd., Charlotte Hall. 301-884-2211.
* 9:45 and 10:30 a.m. Monday, Lexington Park library, 21677 FDR Blvd., Lexington Park. 301-863-8188.
* 10:30 a.m. Monday and 10 a.m. Wednesday, Leonardtown library, 23250 Hollywood Rd., Leonardtown. 301-475-2846.
PRESCHOOL STORYTIME -- Free program at St. Mary's public libraries.
* 10 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. Wednesday, Charlotte Hall library, 37600 New Market Rd., Charlotte Hall. 301-884-2211.
* 10:30 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. Wednesday, Leonardtown library, 23250 Hollywood Rd., Leonardtown. 301-475-2846.
* 10:30 a.m. and 1:15 p.m. Thursday. Lexington Park library, 21677 FDR Blvd., Lexington Park. 301-863-8188.
CUDDLE UP AND READ TO ME -- For children up to age 2, to develop basic language skills. Adult must accompany child. www.calvert.lib.md.us.
* 9:15 to 9:35 a.m. Tuesday and Wednesday. Prince Frederick Library, 30 Duke St., Prince Frederick. 301-855-1862 or 410-535-0291.
* 9:30 to 9:50 a.m. Tuesday. Fairview Branch library, 8120 Southern Maryland Blvd., Owings. 410-257-2101.
* 9:45 to 10:05 a.m. Wednesday. Southern Branch library, 20 Appeal Lane, Lusby. 410-326-5289.
* 9:15 to 9:35 a.m. Wednesday. Twin Beaches Branch library, 3819 Harbor Rd., Chesapeake Beach. 410-257-2411.
2- TO 3-YEAR-OLD STORY TIME -- Designed to improve listening skills and group activity. Children will make a craft. www.calvert.lib.md.us.
* 9:45 to 10:15 a.m. Tuesday and Wednesday. Prince Frederick Library, 30 Duke St., Prince Frederick. 301-855-1862 or 410-535-0291.
* 10 to 10:30 a.m. Tuesday. Fairview Branch library, 8120 Southern Maryland Blvd., Owings. 410-257-2101.
* 10 to 10:30 Tuesday; 10:15-10:45 a.m. and 11-11:30 a.m. Wednesday. Southern Branch library, 20 Appeal Lane, Lusby. 410-326-5289.
* 11 to 11:30 a.m. Wednesday. Twin Beaches Branch library, 3819 Harbor Rd., Chesapeake Beach. 410-257-2411.
4- TO 5-YEAR-OLD STORY TIME -- Designed with emphasis on skills the child will need to attend school. www.calvert.lib.md.us.
* 1 to 1:45 p.m. Tuesday and Wednesday. Prince Frederick Library, 30 Duke St., Prince Frederick. 301-855-1862 or 410-535-0291.
* 1 to 1:45 p.m. Tuesday. Fairview Branch library, 8120 Southern Maryland Blvd., Owings. 410-257-2101.
* 1 to 1:45 p.m. Tuesday. Southern Branch library, 20 Appeal Lane, Lusby. 410-326-5289.
* 1 to 1:45 p.m. Wednesday. Twin Beaches Branch library, 3819 Harbor Rd., Chesapeake Beach. 410-257-2411.
FAMILY STORY TIME -- Free program offered by Calvert County Public Libraries to families with children up to age 5. Children will make crafts and must be accompanied by an adult. 410-535-0291. www.calvert.lib.md.us.
* 11 to 11:45 a.m. Tuesday; 9:30-10:15 a.m. Saturday. Fairview Branch library, 8120 Southern Maryland Blvd., Owings. 410-257-2101.
* 10:30 to 11:15 a.m. Tuesday and Wednesday; 9:30-10:15 a.m. Saturday. Prince Frederick Library, 30 Duke St., Prince Frederick. 301-855-1862 or 410-535-0291.
* 10:45 to 11:30 a.m. Tuesday; 10-10:45 a.m. Saturday. Southern Branch library, 20 Appeal Lane, Lusby. 410-326-5289.
* 10 to 10:45 a.m. Tuesday; 9:30-10:15 a.m. Saturday. Twin Beaches Branch library, 3819 Harbor Rd., Chesapeake Beach. 410-257-2411.
In the Schools
SUPERINTENDENT'S ART GALLERY -- 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Mondays-Fridays. Displays of St. Mary's County student artwork. St. Mary's County public schools central administration building, 23160 Moakley St., Leonardtown. 301-475-5511, Ext. 112.
PASSAGES -- 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Mondays-Fridays. About 1,500 square feet of fabric was used to make painted panels festooned around the garden. They were completed by more than 500 community members and inspired by Christo's "The Gates," last year's installation in New York's Central Park. Annmarie Garden, 13480 Dowell Rd., Solomons. 410-326-4640 or www.annmariegarden.org.
SEEDS OF SOUTHERN MARYLAND -- Open through Sunday. Gallery hours are 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. Tuesdays through Saturdays and noon to 4 p.m. Sunday. Closed Mondays. An all-member show featuring the natural beauty and culture of Southern Maryland. North End Gallery, 41652 Fenwick St., Leonardtown. Free. 301-475-3130 or www.northendgallery.org.
TONY HUNGERFORD MEMORIAL GALLERY -- 3:30 to 7 p.m. Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, through Nov. 6. Painting and drawings by artist Constance Simon. College of Southern Maryland, La Plata campus, 8730 Mitchell Rd., La Plata. 301-934-7828 or 301-870-3008, Ext. 7828.
ANDREA PITZER EXHIBIT -- Tomorrow through Nov. 13. Gallery open 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays. The artist uses Greek mythology, through words and images, to explore the human struggle against being bound or imprisoned by words. Mattawoman Creek Art Center, Smallwood State Park, Route 224, Marbury. Free. 301-743-5159.
"HORSIN' AND PAINTING AROUND THE WORLD" -- 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Tomorrow-Sunday. Mattawoman Creek artist Mary Sokol displays travel and horse paintings. Mattawoman Creek Art Center, Smallwood State Park, Route 224, Marbury. Free. 301-743-5159 or www.mattawomanart.org.
CRAZY CORN MAZE -- 11 a.m. to dusk Saturday and Sunday, through Nov. 27. A corn maze, hayride, farm animals, picnic area and local produce. Weekdays by appointment. Forrest Hall Farm, 39136 Avie Lane, Mechanicsville. $6; children younger than 3, free. 301-884-3086 or www.forresthallfarm.com.
CORNFIELD MAZE -- 4 to 9 p.m. Fridays, 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. Saturdays 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. By appointment, Monday through Thursday. This year, 15 acres of corn have been cut into a maze that depicts a tribute to Southern Maryland's fire and rescue squads, with more than three miles of twisting and turning trails. Also hayride, farm animals, picnic areas, craft store and food. Bowles Farms, 22880 Budd's Creek Rd. (Route 234), Clements. $8; children 5 and younger, free. 301-475-2139 or www.bowlesfarms.com.
YOGA CLASSES -- 10 to 11 a.m. Mondays; 7:30 to 8:30 p.m. Tuesdays; 9 to 10 a.m. Wednesdays. The ongoing class, led by instructor Jonna Climie, teaches relaxation and strengthening techniques, as well as flexibility exercises, through various yoga positions and practices. Civista Women's Health Center, 3510 Old Washington Rd., Waldorf. $8 per session or $30 for four sessions. 888-332-4847.
"FRANKENSTEIN" -- 8 p.m. Fridays and Saturdays and 3 p.m. Sundays, through Nov. 6. This play, based on the book by Mary Shelley, offers a look into the mind and life of Victor Frankenstein, whose desire to re-create life leads him down a path of death. $15, adults; $12, seniors and students. The Black Box Theatre, 4185 Indian Head Hwy., Indian Head. www.indianheadblackbox.org or call 800-494-8497.
"HAIR" AUDITIONS -- 7 to 10 p.m. Tuesday. 7 to 10 p.m. Wednesday, for callbacks. Men should prepare the songs "Hair" and "Aquarius." Women should prepare the songs "Good Morning Starshine and "Aquarius." Copies of the music can be obtained in the main office of Montgomery Hall. An audition sign-up sheet is posted on the bulletin board in the hall's theater lobby. St. Mary's College of Maryland, Bruce Davis Theatre, Montgomery Hall, 18952 E. Fisher Rd., St. Mary's City. 240-895-4231, Ext. 4231.
BOOK DISCUSSION -- 7 p.m. Tuesday. The group will hold a talk on Jasper Fforde's book "The Eyre Affair," an alternate-history novel in which a modern-age England deals with a criminal who steals famous literary characters and holds them for ransom. Charlotte Hall library, 37600 New Market Rd., Charlotte Hall. Free. 301-884-2211.
ZONTA FASHION SHOW -- 6 p.m. tomorrow. An Alice in Wonderland-themed fashion show, with outfits and accessories provided by Draper's and Damon's of Arlington and Chico's of Waldorf. The Zonta Club of Waldorf's annual event will feature dinner, entertainment, a silent auction, raffles, door prizes and a cash bar. Greater Waldorf Jaycees Center, 3090 Crain Hwy., Waldorf. $50 per person. 301-645-0525.
WELCOME FALL FESTIVAL -- 5:30 to 8:30 p.m. Saturday. Food, games, face painting, hayrides and a pumpkin patch. Free candy to those who come in costume. First Baptist Church of Welcome, 6735 Port Tobacco Rd., Welcome. Free.301-609-8759.
CALLAWAY FALL FESTIVAL -- 6 to 9 p.m. tomorrow. Activities and games, concluding with a bonfire, weather permitting. Halloween costumes are welcomed. Callaway Baptist Church, 20960 Point Lookout Rd., Callaway. Free. 301-994-0655.
CHILDREN'S FALL FESTIVAL -- 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday. Games, hayrides, a petting zoo, food, a maze and a moon bounce. St. George's Episcopal Church, 19167 Poplar Hill Lane, Valley Lee. Free to attend; price for tickets for some activities. 301-737-4119 or 301-994-1509.
"RUMORS" -- 8 p.m. Nov. 4, 5, 11 and 12. The Patuxent Playhouse presents Neil Simon's play about four couples at a madcap dinner party that flies out of control. St. John Vianney Family Life Center, 105 Vianney Lane, Prince Frederick. $15. 410-414-9099 or www.patuxentplayhouse.com.
OYSTER AND HAM DINNER -- Noon to 5 p.m. Nov. 6. Menu includes sweet potatoes, green beans, succotash, cole slaw, iced tea and coffee. Carryout service is available. Cobb Island Volunteer Fire Department, 13290 Main Ave., Cobb Island. $21 for adults; $11 for children 6-12 years; free for children 5 and younger. 301-259-2730.
STEP BY STEP 5K RUN AND WALK -- 8 a.m. registration and check-in; 9 a.m. start. Nov. 5. A 5K to honor Mike Blackwell, a marathon runner killed January 2001 while jogging along Broomes Island Road. Proceeds benefit Calvert Alliance Against Substance Abuse programs. Calvert Marine Museum, 14150 Solomons Island Rd., Solomons. $20 early registration cost for adults; 10 for students and Calvert Alliance and Chesapeake Bay Running Club members; $25 cost on the day of the race. 410-535-3733.
MOUNT CARMEL BENEFIT -- The Restorers of Mount Carmel group sponsors a series of coach trips to benefit the new building fund at Mount Carmel Monastery. 301-645-5203.
* Saturday. A trip to Richmond for the Virginia Christmas Show, with culinary demonstrations and holiday shopping opportunities. Includes transportation, admission, dinner and driver gratuity; $60.
* Nov. 30 and Dec. 1. An overnight trip to the Patti Page Christmas Show in Greensburg, Pa. Includes transportation, show, lodging, two breakfasts, two dinners and driver gratuity. Price varies according to lodging arrangements.
VENDORS WANTED -- Groups seeking crafts and vendors for fairs, flea markets, trade fairs and similar events:
* 9 a.m. to noon Nov. 5. Seeking crafters of baby- and toddler-themed items. Also seeking vendors of used toys, clothing and furniture for the Fall 2005 Baby Bazaar. Somers Community Center, 300 Willow Lane, La Plata. 301-932-6679.
* 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Nov. 19. Craft show at the Lexington Park United Methodist Church, 21760 Great Mills Rd., Lexington Park. $20 per table. Call 301-862-3516 or 301-737-4070 before Nov. 5.
* 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Dec. 3. Holiday Craft Bazaar. Crafters are sought for the annual craft bazaar. Calvert Country School, 1350 Dares Beach Rd., Prince Frederick. To register, call 410-535-7300 before Nov. 11.
* 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Dec. 4. Holiday Craft Fair. Crafters invited to participate in the fair sponsored by the Humane Society of Charles County. $35 to rent 6-by-6-foot space and $8 to rent 2-by-6-foot table. Thomas Stone High School, 3785 Leonardtown Rd., Waldorf. To reserve, call 301-645-1063, Ext. 3 or www.humanesocietycc.org.
In the Region
SCHUBERT AND SHOW TUNES -- 7:30 p.m. Saturday. The Maryland Choral Society presents a program featuring Schubert's Mass in G and a selection of favorite showtunes. Corkran Memorial United Methodist Church, 5200 Temple Hills Rd., Temple Hills. $15 adults in advance; $10 students and seniors in advance; $35 for two adults with one or more children, in advance; $18 adults, at the door; $12, students and seniors at the door; $40 at the door for two adults with one or more children. 301-961-7131.
-- Compiled by MICHAEL TUNISON
To Submit an Item
Mail: Entertainment, Southern Maryland Extra, The Washington Post, 100 N. Oak Ave., La Plata, Md. 20646
Details: Send announcements and photos, noting the date, time, address and cost of the event, along with a phone number. The deadline is 14 days before publication. Events are listed as space permits.