Jeannette R. Brown

Hospital Employee

Jeannette Riley Brown, 88, who worked for 20 years at Inova Fairfax Hospital verifying patients' insurance until retiring in 1982, died Sept. 26 at the hospital. She had chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.

Mrs. Brown, a Falls Church resident, was born in Martinsburg, W.Va., and was raised in Harpers Ferry, W.Va.

She was a graduate of Columbia School of Art in Washington and worked during the 1930s as a commercial artist at The Washington Post. She also did modeling work.

In the 1950s, she did sales work at Woodward & Lothrop.

At home, she made rock garden goldfish ponds, wedding dresses and draperies.

Her husband of 62 years, Kenneth W. Brown, died in 1999.

Survivors include four children, Jay Brown of Centreville, Jill Mounts of Winchester, Va., and Janet Rountree and Jerri Brown, both of Annandale; nine grandchildren; and eight great-grandchildren.

Patricia Ann Cooper

Homemaker, Volunteer

Patricia Ann Cooper, 65, a homemaker and volunteer, died of brain cancer Oct. 23 at her home in McLean.

Mrs. Cooper was a parent representative to a Fairfax County organization that works with at-risk children. She enjoyed the arts, crafts, cooking, crossword puzzles and home life. She also was a member of St. John's Episcopal Church in McLean.

Born in Rushden, Northamptonshire, England, she married and lived with her husband in the Philippines and Belgium before moving to the United States and then Canada. They settled in McLean in 1994.

Survivors include her husband of 44 years, David Cooper of McLean; two sons, Laurence Cooper of Sierra Madre, Calif., and Antony Cooper of Knoxville, Tenn.; and four grandchildren.

Clayton 'Rick' Ruebensaal Jr.

Foreign Service Officer

Clayton Frederick "Rick" Ruebensaal Jr., 53, who spent 25 years in the Foreign Service before retiring in 2000 as senior economic adviser in the State Department's compact negotiations office, died Oct. 19 at his home in Bethesda. He had coronary artery disease.

Mr. Ruebensaal recently worked as a State Department contractor coordinating an interagency review of recommendations concerning conventional arms sanctions. He also reviewed visa cases related to possible technology transfer of conventional weapons and dual-use technology.

He was a native of New Haven, Conn., and a 1974 graduate of Georgetown University's Foreign Service School.

Early in his Foreign Service career, he helped administer relief and resettlement operations stemming from the end of the Vietnam War. He later had a role in negotiating with Israeli authorities about food shipment procedures affecting Palestinians.

He also was involved in negotiations to resolve MIA/POW issues with Iraq after the Persian Gulf War.

He had a home in the Washington area since the mid-1970s and settled here permanently in 1993.

His marriage to Ann Peters Ruebensaal ended in divorce.

Survivors include his wife of 28 years, Blanca Luisi Ruebensaal of Bethesda; a son from his first marriage, Clayton F. Ruebensaal III of New York; two daughters from his second marriage, Virginia Ruebensaal and Katherine Erika Ruebensaal, both of Bethesda; his mother, Virginia Ruebensaal of Westport, Conn.; and two sisters.

Antonio M. 'Tom' Marinelli

Contracting Business President

Antonio Michael "Tom" Marinelli, 85, president of the now-closed Intercounty Construction Corp. in Hyattsville, died Oct. 22 at his home in Bethesda. He had Alzheimer's disease.

The son of Italian immigrants, Mr. Marinelli was born in Bristol, Conn., and attended New York University. He was an Army veteran of World War II.

He joined Intercounty Construction, his father's business, in 1940, when it was based in Westchester County, N.Y. It later moved to Prince George's County, and Mr. Marinelli was president from 1969 to 1990.

The company worked on rail-system projects in the Washington area as well as assignments for the Washington Suburban Sanitary Commission.

He was a founder and former board member of the National Italian American Foundation. He also co-founded and was a former president of the National Utility Contractors Association.

He was inducted into the Knights of Malta, a lay order of the Roman Catholic Church, and received honors from the Italian government and the fraternal Order of the Sons of Italy.

He was a former president of the Lido Civic Club in Washington.

Survivors include his wife of 57 years, Phyllis Diorio Marinelli, and two children, Kim Vreeland and Michael Marinelli, all of Bethesda; a sister, Ann Bufalo of Rockville; and four grandchildren.

Jean Marie Novak

Accountant, Actress

Jean Marie Novak, 44, an accountant for a New York City restaurant who had small parts in several films, died of massive head injuries Oct. 22 after being struck by a New York City subway train.

She was standing on a subway platform in Manhattan when she leaned forward and looked in the opposite direction of an oncoming train, according to police reports. She was struck in the head and declared dead at St. Vincent's Hospital in New York.

Ms. Novak was born in Landover Hills. She graduated from Elizabeth Seton Catholic High School in Bladensburg, where she excelled in drama and track and volunteered at St. Ann's Orphanage. She graduated from the University of Maryland.

After college, Ms. Novak moved to California to study acting. She appeared in several movies, including "Star Trek: The Next Generation" (1987), "The Distinguished Gentleman" (1992) and "Calendar Girls" (2003).

She moved to New York in 1998 to begin a career in accounting while still working in film editing and video photography. She hosted and produced a monthly cable television show for the past five years about animal rescue. She also volunteered an animal shelter.

Survivors include her parents, Grace and Steve Novak of Lanham; three brothers, Nicholas Novak of Rockville, Steven Novak of Fairfax and James Novak of Burke; and a sister, Kristine Novak of Fairfax.

Charles Patrick Culhane Jr.

Freelance Writer, Journalist

Charles Patrick Culhane Jr., 76, a freelance writer specializing in medical news, died of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease Oct. 13 in his home in Alexandria.

Mr. Culhane worked for a variety of clients, including the American Medical Association and the AARP.

He was born in Detroit, graduated from Wayne State University and went to work as a newspaper reporter in Beaumont, Tex. In 1963, he arrived in Washington as a correspondent for the Houston Post. He covered the 1968 presidential campaign of Richard M. Nixon. In 1970, he switched to the National Journal, where he worked for four years. He then became a freelancer.

"With his fine head of white hair and his urbane bearing, Charles was a gentleman of the old school," said Michael Whelan, a friend of 25 years. "And he never lost his reporter's penchant for precise detail. Throwaway generalities were never enough for him. To converse with Charles at a party was to be pinned down for precision by a pro."

Mr. Culhane was a member of the National Press Club and Washington Independent Writers.

He and his wife took a Russian freighter to Europe in the 1970s and lived there for some time. He did some translations for Le Neon, a French-themed theater troupe in the Washington area, which closed in 2003.

In later years, Mr. Culhane rarely missed a semester of continuing education classes at Northern Virginia Community College. He became an amateur photographer and an advocate of Apple's Macintosh computer over the more common Microsoft Windows-based personal computer.

Survivors include his wife, Margaret Culhane of Alexandria; and a brother.