John S. Canton

Marine Colonel

John S. Canton, 86, a Marine Corps colonel who served as an intelligence and combat officer in three wars, died Oct. 13 at a nursing home in Sarasota, Fla., where he lived. He had dementia.

Col. Canton was born in Brooklyn, N.Y., and grew up in Casablanca, Morocco, where his family had an import-export business. He attended secondary school and an engineering college in France.

He returned to the United States shortly before World War II and joined the Marine Corps. Because he spoke French, Portuguese, Spanish, Italian, Arabic and some Slavic languages, he was assigned to the Office of Strategic Services, a forerunner of the CIA. He was an intelligence agent in Yugoslavia and France and also served as a combat officer in the South Pacific.

He was a combat and intelligence officer in the Korean War and an intelligence officer in Vietnam. He also served in China, Saudi Arabia and Morocco, where he was a military liaison to King Hassan II, whom he had known while growing up.

He served at the Pentagon periodically before his retirement from the Marines in 1971. He received four awards of the Legion of Merit, a Purple Heart and many decorations from foreign governments.

In 1971, Col. Canton formed a consulting firm in Morocco that represented U.S. defense contractors supplying materials to the Moroccan government. He moved to Pensacola, Fla., in 1978 and retired from business in 1984.

From 1985 to 1989, he lived in McLean, where he was a member of St. Thomas Episcopal Church. He lived in Front Royal, Va., from 1989 to 1996 and was a member of the vestry at Calvary Episcopal Church. He had lived in Sarasota since 1996.

His marriage to Rosalie Dahl Canton ended in divorce.

Survivors include his wife of 24 years, Katherine Canton of Sarasota; five children from his first marriage, Cecelia M. Canton and Jeanne Canton Luna, both of Coronado, Calif., Ramon D. Canton of San Rafael, Calif., John A. Canton of Spring Valley, Calif., and Paul J. Canton of La Jolla, Calif.; two stepsons, Stephen W. Lowe of Bethesda and Army Maj. John M. Lowe of Fredericksburg; a brother; 17 grandchildren; and four great-grandchildren.

Carroll Clinton Jackson

Auto Parts Manager

Carroll Clinton Jackson, 84, a retired wholesale parts manager for two local car dealerships, died of respiratory failure Oct. 25 at Laurel Regional Hospital. He was a Beltsville resident.

Mr. Jackson was born in Mount Airy, N.C., and served in the Navy during World War II. He moved to the Washington area in 1953 and went to work at Hicks Chevrolet, now Sport Chevrolet in Silver Spring. He retired in 1985.

He was a member of Hillandale Baptist Church in Adelphi and an avid gardener.

Survivors include his wife of 55 years, Effie P. Jackson of Beltsville; three daughters, Deborah Dula of Myersville, Cynthia Reazine of Knoxville and Diane Jackson of Smyrna, Tenn.; and six grandchildren.

Carol S. Barrie

Real Estate Agent

Carol Sanders Barrie, 87, who spent about 20 years as a real estate agent with Long & Foster in Northern Virginia until retiring in the early 1990s, died Oct. 22 at her home in Vienna. She had cardiopulmonary failure.

Mrs. Barrie was born in Huntington, N.Y., and raised in Greenlawn, N.Y. During the early 1940s, she was an executive secretary to the president of American Airlines in New York. She later lived in Missouri and Texas and was active in the Junior League before settling in the Washington area in 1971.

Her husband, Robert Barrie, whom she married in 1941, died in 1989.

Survivors include three children, Sandra B. Blackley of Elkin, N.C., Robert Barrie III of St. Marys, Ga., and Elizabeth A. Barrie of Stuart, Fla.; two sisters; and two grandchildren.

Anne Kutlowitz Rappaport

Chorus Member

Anne Kutlowitz Rappaport, 90, who sang in the chorus at the Homecrest House in Silver Spring, where she lived, died of lung cancer Oct. 22 at her daughter's home in Washington.

She worked as a paralegal for a lawyer in New York, her native city. She also lived in Deerfield, Fla., for more than 20 years, where she worked at an Alzheimer's day-care center and in political campaigns. She volunteered and raised money for Alzheimer's disease in Florida and Maryland.

She also was a member of the Red Hat Society.

Her husband, Murray Rappaport, died in 1992.

Survivors include three children, Sandra Pritzker of Washington, Michael Rappaport of Brooklyn, N.Y., and Reva Salman of Manalapan, N.J.; six grandchildren; and 10 great-grandchildren.

Nancy Morrison Jackson

GSA Architect

Nancy Morrison Jackson, 83, an architect who retired from the General Services Administration, died of congestive heart failure Oct. 22 at Fairfax Nursing Center. She had lived in Alexandria.

Ms. Jackson joined the GSA in Washington in 1978 and retired in February at 82.

A native of Pittsburgh, she was a graduate of Carnegie Mellon University. She worked for law firms in Pittsburgh, Syracuse and Farmington, Conn., where she also had a private practice.

Ms. Jackson served as a construction industry arbitrator with the American Arbitration Association and this year was named an emeritus member of the American Institute of Architects, where she had served on the Masterspec Architectural Review Committee for many years.

Her memberships included Kappa Alpha Theta sorority, the National Architectural Accrediting Board, Carnegie Mellon Admission Council, Catholic Family Services for Ecumenical Affairs and the Arts Club of Washington board of directors.

Her husband of 29 years, George Clark Johnson, died in 1976.

Survivors include three children, Robert Clark Jackson of Springfield, Ellen Jackson Rudy of San Jose and Mary Jackson Porter of Alexandria; a sister; and six grandchildren.

Emma Courlander


Emma Courlander, 86, an artist's model who became a painter, died of a stroke Oct. 25 at the Manor Care nursing home in Potomac, where she lived.

As a teenager in the 1930s, Mrs. Courlander modeled for such well-known artists as Raphael Soyer and Gladys Rockmore Davis. About 10 years later, she stepped to the other side of the canvas and became a painter.

After moving to the Washington area in 1960, she studied with artist Prentis Taylor. She painted in an impressionistic style and had numerous exhibitions. Her work included still lifes, portraits and scenes of everyday life.

Mrs. Courlander was born in New York City and graduated from Hunter College there. She taught English in high schools in New York and, for several years in the 1940s, in Australia. During World War II, she worked for the Office of War Information in New York.

She was a Bethesda resident for more than 30 years and volunteered as a reading tutor for children.

Her husband of 47 years, Harold Courlander, died in 1996. Her daughter, Susan DelCoco, died in 2002.

Survivors include a son, Michael Courlander of Gaithersburg; a stepdaughter, Erika Courlander of Flint, Mich.; and three grandchildren.

Margaret S. Chaires

Economics Professor

Margaret Sander Chaires, 61, a professor of economics at Prince George's Community College for 36 years, died of liver cancer Oct. 14 at her home in Bowie.

Mrs. Chaires, who retired in May, also taught computer science and economics for 15 years at the University of Maryland University College.

Toward the end of her career at the community college, she taught mainly online courses, reaching students in different parts of the world. She was a leader at the college in online teaching and instructed other teachers in its use, said her husband, who teaches at the college.

Mrs. Chaires received a Prince George's Community College Faculty Senate Award in 1995 and a University of Maryland University College Teaching Recognition Award in 1997.

Margaret Jane Sander was born in Tillamook, Ore. She graduated from Catholic University in 1966 with a bachelor's degree in economics. She served in the Peace Corps in the Philippines from 1966 to 1968 and received a master's degree in economics from Claremont Graduate School in California in 1969. She was a member of Phi Beta Kappa.

Mrs. Chaires attended Holy Family Catholic Church in Mitchellville. She enjoyed cooking, vacationing in Florida and North Carolina and family gatherings. She volunteered with the Feed the Homeless program.

Her marriage to John Gurney ended in divorce.

Survivors include her husband of 21 years, James W. Chaires Jr. of Bowie; a daughter from her first marriage, Elizabeth Gurney of Baltimore; two daughters from her second marriage, Morgan Chaires of Bowie and Meredith Chaires of Odenton; her mother, Jean Sander of Tillamook; two sisters; and two brothers.