A teenager was shot and wounded last night at a high school football game in the Annapolis area of Anne Arundel County, authorities said.

The shooting of the 17-year-old girl during the game between Annapolis and Old Mill high schools came only weeks after two fatal attacks associated with football games in Montgomery County.

The victim last night was struck in the thigh while near a concession stand on the grounds of Annapolis High School, on Riva Road just west of Annapolis, authorities said. She was taken to a hospital with a wound described as not life-threatening.

The 8:30 p.m. shooting was described by at least one witness as an apparent accident.

An Anne Arundel police spokesman said at a news conference last night that two people had been taken into custody a short distance from the school and that police had found a handgun. Neither of those in custody was identified immediately.

The police spokesman, Sgt. Shawn Urbas, gave no details of how the shooting had occurred, saying only that a gun had gone off.

A teenager who spoke to reporters at the school said that she had seen the incident and that the shooting did not appear to be intentional.

Megan Engelbach, 15, an Old Mill student, said that after the shot was heard, she saw someone check inside his pocket and then run from the scene. The teenager said the victim was a sister of one of the players on the Old Mill football squad.

The victim had graduated recently from Old Mill, which is in Millersvlle, Engelbach said.

Another witness said that the grandstand at the Annapolis High field was about half filled during the game and that the shooting occurred at the end of halftime or during the third quarter.

The concession stand area is under the grandstand, and the incident apparently occurred outside the view of most people at the game. But news of what happened spread through the stands.

Early in the fourth quarter, a witness said, coaches and officials from the schools went to the field for a conference with game officials.

An announcement was made over the public address system that the game was called. The witness who was in the grandstand said no reason was announced.

When the game was stopped, Annapolis was leading, 30-21, with 11 minutes 51 seconds left in the fourth quarter, said David Gehrdes, athletic director at Annapolis High.

He said the game might be resumed later. Old Mill is 6-1 this season; Annapolis is 5-2.

Last month, a 15-year-old girl from Rockville was fatally stabbed in the parking lot at James Hubert Blake High School in northeastern Montgomery after a Friday night football game.

The Sept. 23 stabbing came a week after a 23-year-old Germantown man was attacked in an off-campus fight after a football game at Seneca Valley High School.

Police have said they did not believe the fights in Montgomery were connected.

Staff writer Clarence Williams contributed to this report.

Old Mill High School football players react after the game with Annapolis High School was stopped because of the shooting of a 17-year-old girl.