Terror Expert Retires From FBI

Michael E. Rolince, who headed the counterterrorism division of the FBI's Washington field office and who often testified about terrorism on Capitol Hill, retired from the agency Friday after 31 years.

Over the years, Rolince, 53, oversaw a variety of high-profile investigations, including probes of the 1998 attacks on U.S. embassies in Africa, the 1999 crash of EgyptAir Flight 990, the 2000 attack on the USS Cole in Yemen and the millennium terrorism conspiracy.

"He was truly the bureau's face, to some extent, on the war on terrorism," said his boss, Michael Mason, head of the Washington office.

Rolince, who has taken a job at Booze Allen Hamilton, a consulting firm, to work on counter-terrorism issues, said he was proud of the FBI's culture of "hard work, perseverance and dedication to the American people."

Tunnel to Close for Filming

The K Street tunnel under Washington Circle will be closed during the filming of a movie tonight and tomorrow night, according to the D.C. Department of Transportation.

K Street NW will be closed from 21st to 27th streets from 5 p.m. today to 6 a.m. tomorrow and again from 7:30 p.m. tomorrow to 6 a.m. Tuesday.

The closing is for the filming of the movie "The Visiting. " Message boards have been posted at various approaches to warn motorists.


Motorcycle Crash Kills Man

A 27-year-old man was killed Friday when he was thrown from his motorcycle while attempting a wheelie on Interstate 97 in Anne Arundel County, according to Maryland State Police.

Christopher Duncan Stewart of Glen Burnie was traveling south about 5 p.m. when he pulled his front wheel off the highway just south of New Cut Road, police said. Stewart, who was traveling about 75 mph, lost control and struck a guardrail, police said. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

Hunter Allegedly Exceeded Limit

A Carroll County bear hunter was charged with killing two bears, one over the limit, Maryland Natural Resources police said.

The resources police said they charged Michael Wayne Major of New Windsor with killing a 160-pound bear and a 61-pound cub. Police said the bears were in his pickup truck Wednesday night outside a Deep Creek Lake convenience store.

Major said it was not intentional. He said he believed both were struck and killed by a single shot. He also said that he went to the authorities to tell them what happened and that he plans to appeal.

The misdemeanor carries a maximum fine of $1,500 and up to six months in jail.


Dulles Traffic Outlook Worsens

A study predicts that traffic congestion around Washington Dulles International Airport in the next 25 years will grow far worse than previously expected.

Traffic around the region's busiest airport is expected to increase three times as fast as the capacity of area highways, according to the study by the nonprofit Washington Airports Task Force.

A trip from the District of Columbia to Dulles that once took a half-hour is expected to average 52 minutes by 2030, with more hours of peak congestion each day. Travel times from points north and west of the airport are predicted to increase even more, according to the study.

Dulles is on track to serve 27 million passengers this year, up from 18 million in 2001. Airport expansions are designed to eventually accommodate up to 55 million passengers annually, said Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority spokeswoman Tara Hamilton.

10 Years for Fatal Jail Beating

A 20-year-old man was sentenced Friday to 10 years in prison for beating to death in the Richmond jail a man accused of attacking his mother.

Shamar Young pleaded guilty to voluntary manslaughter in the death of Gregory Robinson, 47, as part of a plea bargain agreement.

Young was being held in the Richmond jail awaiting trial on other charges this year when his mother implicated Robinson in a telephone conversation, authorities said. She accused the man of abducting and assaulting her.

Soon after, when Robinson was taken into custody on another charge, authorities placed him on the same jail tier as Young. On May 30, the Richmond Times-Dispatch reported, Young broke out of his cell and beat Robinson. Robinson died of an arterial injury the next day.

"Parties are no longer a special treat for kids. . . . And each party has just escalated to the point where the amount of junk food at just one party has really gone overboard."

Margo Wootan, a policy director at the Center for Science in the Public Interest, on a movement take the battle against childhood obesity to school parties. -- B1

Compiled from reports by staff writers Tim Craig, Allan Lengel and Martin Weil and the Associated Press.