Metro Delayed After Man Is Hit by Train

A six-car Metro train struck and injured a man on the tracks at the Foggy Bottom Station early yesterday, Metro officials and D.C. police said.

The incident caused backups on Metro's Blue and Orange lines for runners and spectators headed to Arlington for the start of the Marine Corps Marathon.

The man, who was not identified, was transported to George Washington University Hospital with head trauma, D.C. police Officer Sean Pipia said.

The man's condition was unavailable yesterday.

"Eyewitnesses indicated that the man was on the tracks intentionally," Metro spokeswoman Lisa Farbstein said, "and when the train came into the station, it was unable to stop in time."

The incident occurred at 5:41 a.m., Farbstein said. Metro opened yesterday at 5 a.m. -- two hours earlier than usual for weekends -- to accommodate the marathon.

Full service was restored at 7:38 a.m., Farbstein said, about a half-hour before the race's start.


Teen Killed After Losing Control of Vehicle

A 16-year-old from the Great Falls area of Fairfax County was killed early yesterday when the vehicle she was driving went off a road and crashed, the county police said.

Police said Vanessa Pean, a junior at the Potomac School in McLean, was killed about 12:10 a.m. in the crash off Beach Mill Road near Walker Road.

Just before the crash, police said, her 2003 Land Rover was westbound in the eastbound lanes of Beach Mill Road.

Pean steered hard to the right, crossed back into the correct lane, then went up an embankment at the edge of the road, police said. The vehicle struck a tree, rolled over and then struck a second tree.

The teenager was not wearing a seat belt, a police spokeswoman said. Officer Beth Funston said that speed was a factor in the crash but that she did not know how fast the vehicle was traveling.

The site of the crash was less than a mile from Pean's home on Springvale Road.

Geoffrey A. Jones, headmaster at the Potomac School, described the teenager as "a very fine student and athlete," and called her death "a great tragedy for our whole school community." Jones said he had met with parents and students throughout the day yesterday and expected that would continue today as well.

Vanessa was a soccer player who played on the school team and a youth team.

"All I can say is she was the most amazing person," said Brittany Roellig, a member of the youth team, the Strikers. "Our team is going to miss her a lot."


Man Killed at Pr. George's Gas Station

A 29-year-old Alexandria man was shot and killed early yesterday at an Upper Marlboro gas station, police said.

Lavelle Davis was shot once in his upper body as he sat in the back seat of a white Cadillac in the 8700 block of Pennsylvania Avenue, Prince George's County police said.

As the Cadillac was leaving the station, a green Jeep Cherokee drove up and a suspect or suspects opened fire, police said.

The Cadillac had at least five people in it, but Davis was the only one hit.

Police said the shooting might have stemmed from an argument that occurred earlier in the night in the parking lot of Classics Nightclub on Allentown Road in Camp Springs.

The investigation is ongoing. Police are asking anyone with information to call 301-772-4925 or 866-411-8477.

Gas Fumes Cause Office Evacuation

About 200 federal workers were evacuated from a Hyattsville office building, and 31 were taken by ambulance to hospitals yesterday morning after they accidentally inhaled gasoline fumes, according to a Prince George's County fire official.

The office building, at 6505 Belcrest Road, includes a data-entry center for the Federal Emergency Management Agency. Employees called 911 complaining of dizziness and nausea, said Mark Brady, spokesman for the Prince George's County Fire/EMS Department.

On the roof, fire and rescue crews discovered a five-gallon gasoline can next to a fresh-air intake for the ventilation system. Officials said they believe the can was forgotten by a work crew.

Hazardous material experts found no such materials inside the building.

Driver Dies in Collision in Beltsville

A motorist was killed late Saturday in a head-on collision on the Baltimore-Washington Parkway, U.S. Park Police said.

A southbound car crossed the median south of Powder Mill Road in the Beltsville area shortly before 11 p.m. and struck an oncoming car, police said. The driver of the southbound car was killed, they said.

The driver's name was withheld until relatives could be notified. The cause of the crash was not immediately known. Police said they are trying to find witnesses.

Charges Dropped in '95 Witness Killing

The U.S. attorney's office in Baltimore has dropped a decade-old case against a cocaine dealer who was accused of ordering the killing of a witness ready to testify against him.

Donald Lee Ferebe ordered the shooting death of Benjamin Paige, authorities say.

Paige's cousin was also killed and another person was wounded in the 1995 shooting.

Police arrested Ferebe, and he was charged in federal court with murder, facing a maximum penalty of death.

Last month, though, federal prosecutors decided not to pursue the case any longer.

Another trial was unnecessary, they said, because Ferebe is serving a life sentence without parole in another slaying case, the one Paige was to testify about.

Four years ago, Ferebe tried to plead guilty in the witness case in exchange for two life sentences, but Attorney General John D. Ashcroft vetoed the deal and forced the Maryland office instead to pursue the death penalty.

"It's like a huge void in my life. It's like one of your kids leaving home. I can't even hang around the front of the house anymore or else I see the empty lawn and get depressed."

Cathie Beadel, whose family decided to give up the annual Halloween decorations in front of their Clarksville home after vandalism. -- B1

Compiled from reports by staff writers Martin Weil, Caryle Murphy and Christian Davenport and the Associated Press.