The following organizations need volunteer help for a day, for a week or on a regular basis.

AARP Tax-Aide, a tax counseling and preparation service, needs volunteers to electronically complete and file federal and state income tax forms. Counselors receive free training and become certified by the Internal Revenue Service. For information, call Patty Callahan at 703-207-0056 or visit

The Volunteer Learning Program of the Office of Adult and Community Education in the Fairfax County public school system needs tutors to work one-on-one with adults in public libraries or adult learning centers. Opportunities to work with adolescents in alternative school settings are also available. Training, materials and follow-up support are provided. For information, call 703-246-2139.

The Falls Church-McLean Children's Center needs volunteers to stay in classrooms during nap time from 1:30 to 2:20 p.m. twice a month so teachers can receive training. Volunteers are required to have at least six months of teaching experience, which can include substitute teaching. For information, call 703-534-4907.

The Fairfax Area Agency on Aging needs volunteers to provide services to help seniors remain independent, including transportation to medical appointments, grocery shopping, yard work and light housekeeping. For information, call Christie Elliott at 703-324-5406.

The Meals on Wheels program of the Fairfax Area Agency on Aging needs volunteers to deliver meals to clients living in several areas of Fairfax County. Drivers pick up meals between 10:30 a.m. and noon and deliver them by 1 p.m. For information, call Christie Elliott at 703-324-5406.

-- Compiled by