SQUARE DANCES -- 7:30-9:30 p.m. tomorrow. First, third and fifth Fridays of each month, presented by the Southern Merry-Landers Square Dance Club. John Hanson Middle School, 12350 Vivian Adams Dr., Waldorf. $5.50; members, $4. 301-893-1974.
SQUARE DANCES -- 7 p.m. tomorrow. Regular club square dances presented by the Aqua Squares Dance Club. Southern Community Center, 20 Appeal Lane, Lusby. $5 per person. 410-586-3587 or 301-373-2207.
GUITAR CLUB CONCERT -- 8 p.m. tomorrow. Members of the College of Southern Maryland's guitar club are featured in a concert with other acts of various genres and styles. College of Southern Maryland's Black Box Theatre, FA Fine Arts Center, Room 143, 8730 Mitchell Rd., La Plata. $5. 301-934-7828 or 301-870-2309, Ext. 7828, Charles County; 240-725-5499, Ext. 7828, St. Mary's County; 443-550-6199, Ext. 7828, Calvert County.
LILLY DRUMEVA -- 7 p.m. tomorrow. Bulgarian singer-songwriter performs. The Coffee Quarter, 22576 MacArthur Blvd., California. Free. 301-737-3004.
BLUEGRASS CONCERT -- 2 p.m. Sunday. Featuring the Lost and Found Bluegrass Band and Gary Brewer and the Kentucky Ramblers. American Legion Hall Post 238, Routes 231 and 381, Hughesville. $15; fried chicken dinner before the show, $5. 301-737-3004.
CHAMBER SINGERS CONCERT -- 3 p.m. Sunday. The modern classical music collective performs under the direction of St. Mary's College of Maryland professor Larry Vote, with selections from Estonian composer Arvo Paert. Trinity Episcopal Church, across from St. Mary's Hall, St. Mary's College of Maryland, 18952 E. Fisher Rd., St. Mary's City. Free. 240-895-4381.
ORCHESTRA CONCERT -- 4 p.m. Saturday. Encore Strings, the preparatory orchestra for the Charles County Youth Orchestra, performs with the Charles County Youth Orchestra. Port Tobacco Players Theatre, 508 Charles St., La Plata. $5 per person. 301-932-6819.
"LET THE WILD RUMPUS BEGIN!" -- 10 a.m.- noon Saturday. Ages 6-9 join a naturalist for nature-guided play inspired by Maurice Sendak's book "Where the Wild Things Are." Kings Landing Park, 3255 King's Landing Rd., Huntingtown. Per child, $3; Battle Creek Nature Education Society members, $1. 410-535-5327.
"ON A COLD NOVEMBER DAY" -- 2:30 p.m. Saturday. A family hiking trip with games along the way, ending with some hot cocoa. King's Landing Park, 3255 King's Landing Rd., Huntingtown. Per child, $3; Battle Creek Nature Education Society members, $1. 410-535-5327.
"SO SHOE ME" -- Saturday. A monthly program for beginning readers and their families, with stories, songs, games and crafts related to shoes. Free.
* 10 a.m., Potomac Branch library, 3225 Ruth B. Swann Dr., Indian Head. 301-375-7375.
* 1 p.m., P.D. Brown Branch library, 50 Village St., Waldorf. 301-645-2864.
* 3 p.m., La Plata Branch library, 2 Garrett Ave., La Plata. 301-934-9001.
FALL PRESCHOOL STORY TIMES -- Free program at Charles County public libraries for ages 2-5.
* 10 and 11 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. Tuesday, Potomac Branch library, 3225 Ruth B. Swann Dr., Indian Head. 301-375-7375.
* 10 and 11 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. Wednesday, P.D. Brown Branch library, 50 Village St., Waldorf. 301-645-2864.
* 10 and 11 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. Thursday, La Plata Branch library, 2 Garrett Ave., La Plata. 301-934-9001.
BABY STEPS STORY TIMES -- Free program at St. Mary's County public libraries for ages 2-12 months. www.stmalib.org.
* 9:30 a.m. Tuesday, Charlotte Hall library, 37600 New Market Rd., Charlotte Hall. 301-884-2211.
* 9:15 a.m. Monday, Lexington Park library, 21677 FDR Blvd., Lexington Park. 301-863-8188.
* 10 a.m. Monday, Leonardtown library, 23250 Hollywood Rd., Leonardtown. 301-475-2846.
TODDLER STORY TIMES -- Free program at St. Mary's public libraries. Music is used to encourage audience participation. Ages 1-21/2 years. 301-475-2846 or www.stmalib.org/kprog.html.
* 10 and 10:30 a.m. Tuesday, Charlotte Hall library, 37600 New Market Rd., Charlotte Hall. 301-884-2211.
* 9:45 and 10:30 a.m. Monday, Lexington Park library, 21677 FDR Blvd., Lexington Park. 301-863-8188.
* 10:30 a.m. Monday and 10 a.m. Wednesday, Leonardtown library, 23250 Hollywood Rd., Leonardtown. 301-475-2846.
PRESCHOOL STORY TIME -- Free program at St. Mary's public libraries.
* 10 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. Wednesday, Charlotte Hall library, 37600 New Market Rd., Charlotte Hall. 301-884-2211.
* 10:30 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. Wednesday, Leonardtown library, 23250 Hollywood Rd., Leonardtown. 301-475-2846.
* 10:30 a.m. and 1:15 p.m. Thursday, Lexington Park library, 21677 FDR Blvd., Lexington Park. 301-863-8188.
"CUDDLE UP AND READ TO ME" -- For up to age 2, to develop basic language skills. Adult must accompany child. www.calvert.lib.md.us.
* 9:15-9:35 a.m. Tuesday and Wednesday, Prince Frederick library, 30 Duke St., Prince Frederick. 301-855-1862 or 410-535-0291.
* 9:30-9:50 a.m. Tuesday, Fairview Branch library, 8120 Southern Maryland Blvd., Owings. 410-257-2101.
* 9:45-10:05 a.m. Wednesday, Southern Branch library, 20 Appeal Lane, Lusby. 410-326-5289.
* 9:15-9:35 a.m. Wednesday, Twin Beaches Branch library, 3819 Harbor Rd., Chesapeake Beach. 410-257-2411.
TODDLER STORY TIME -- For ages 2-3, to improve listening skills and group interaction. Children will also make a craft. www.calvert.lib.md.us.
* 9:45-10:15 a.m. Tuesday and Wednesday, Prince Frederick library, 30 Duke St., Prince Frederick. 301-855-1862 or 410-535-0291.
* 10-10:30 a.m. Tuesday, Fairview Branch library, 8120 Southern Maryland Blvd., Owings. 410-257-2101.
* 10-10:30 a.m. Tuesday, and 10:15-10:45 a.m. and 11-11:30 a.m. Wednesday, Southern Branch library, 20 Appeal Lane, Lusby. 410-326-5289.
* 11-11:30 a.m. Wednesday, Twin Beaches Branch library, 3819 Harbor Rd., Chesapeake Beach. 410-257-2411.
STORY TIME FOR AGES 4 AND 5 -- Emphasizes skills a child will need to attend school. www.calvert.lib.md.us.
* 1-1:45 p.m. Tuesday and Wednesday, Prince Frederick library, 30 Duke St., Prince Frederick. 301-855-1862 or 410-535-0291.
* 1-1:45 p.m. Tuesday, Fairview Branch library, 8120 Southern Maryland Blvd., Owings. 410-257-2101.
* 1-1:45 p.m. Tuesday, Southern Branch library, 20 Appeal Lane, Lusby. 410-326-5289.
* 1-1:45 p.m. Wednesday, Twin Beaches Branch library, 3819 Harbor Rd., Chesapeake Beach. 410-257-2411.
FAMILY STORY TIME -- Free program offered by Calvert County Public Libraries to families with children up to age 5. Children also make crafts and must be accompanied by an adult. 410-535-0291. www.calvert.lib.md.us.
* 11-11:45 a.m. Tuesday; 9:30-10:15 a.m. Saturday. Fairview Branch library, 8120 Southern Maryland Blvd., Owings. 410-257-2101.
* 10:30-11:15 a.m. Tuesday and Wednesday, and 9:30-10:15 a.m. Saturday. Prince Frederick library, 30 Duke St., Prince Frederick. 301-855-1862 or 410-535-0291.
* 10:45-11:30 a.m. Tuesday, and 10-10:45 a.m. Saturday, Southern Branch library, 20 Appeal Lane, Lusby. 410-326-5289.
* 10-10:45 a.m. Tuesday, and 9:30-10:15 a.m. Saturday, Twin Beaches Branch library, 3819 Harbor Rd., Chesapeake Beach. 410-257-2411.
In the Schools
SUPERINTENDENT'S ART GALLERY -- 8 a.m.-4 p.m. Mondays-Fridays. Displays of St. Mary's County student artwork. St. Mary's County public schools central administration building, 23160 Moakley St., Leonardtown. 301-475-5511, Ext. 112.
"PASSAGES" -- 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday-Friday, through Nov. 30. Roughly 1,550 square feet of fabric was used to create painted panels festooned around the garden. The panels, inspired by Christo's recent installation in New York City's Central Park, were completed by more than 500 local residents. Annmarie Garden, 13480 Dowell Rd., Solomons. 410-326-4640 or www.annmariegarden.org.
ANDREA PITZER EXHIBIT -- 11 a.m.-4 p.m. Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays, through Nov. 13. Oil paintings incorporating text and mythological figures. Mattawoman Art Center, Smallwood State Park, Route 224, Marbury. Free. 301-743-5159.
CRAZY CORN MAZE -- 11 a.m.-dusk Saturday and Sunday, through Nov. 27. A corn maze, hayride, farm animals, picnic area and local produce. Weekdays by appointment. Forrest Hall Farm, 39136 Avie Lane, Mechanicsville. $6; ages 2 and younger, free. 301-884-3086 or www.forresthallfarm.com.
CORNFIELD MAZE -- 4-9 p.m. Fridays, and 10 a.m.-9 p.m. Saturdays; by appointment, 11 a.m.-6 p.m. Monday-Thursday. This year, 15 acres of corn have been cut into a maze that depicts a tribute to Southern Maryland's fire and rescue squads, with more than three miles of twisting and turning trails. Hayride, farm animals, picnic areas, craft store and food. Bowles Farms, 22880 Budd's Creek Rd. (Route 234), Clements. $8; ages 5 and younger, free. 301-475-2139 or www.bowlesfarms.com.
YOGA CLASSES -- 10-11 a.m. Mondays, 7:30-8:30 p.m. Tuesdays and 9-10 a.m. Wednesdays. The ongoing class, led by instructor Jonna Climie, teaches relaxation and strengthening techniques, as well as flexibility exercises, through various yoga positions and practices. Civista Women's Health Center, 3510 Old Washington Rd., Waldorf. $8, per session; $30, for four sessions. 888-332-4847.
"RUMORS" -- 8 p.m. Tomorrow, Saturday, and Nov. 11 and 12. Patuxent Playhouse presents Neil Simon's play about four couples at a madcap dinner party that flies out of control. St. John Vianney Family Life Center, 105 Vianney Lane, Prince Frederick. $15. 410-414-9099 or www.patuxentplayhouse.com.
"FRANKENSTEIN" -- 8 p.m. tomorrow and Saturday and 3 p.m. Sunday. This play, based on the book by Mary Shelley, offers a look into the mind and life of Victor Frankenstein, whose desire to re-create life leads him down a deadly path. $15; seniors and students, $12. Black Box Theatre, 4185 Indian Head Hwy., Indian Head. www.indianheadblackbox.org or 800-494-8497.
BOOK DISCUSSION -- 7-8:30 p.m. Monday. A group discussion of the book "An Island Out of Time: A Memoir of Smith Island in the Chesapeake" by Tom Horton. Prince Frederick library, 30 Duke St., Prince Frederick. Free. 410-535-0291.
CREATIVE MEMOIR WORKSHOP -- 2:30-4 p.m. Wednesday. Exploring ways to turn life events into interesting nonfiction, short fiction or poetry. Prince Frederick library, 30 Duke St., Prince Frederick. Free. 410-855-1862.
"LET'S TALK ABOUT TONI MORRISON" -- 7-8:30 p.m. Wednesday. U.S. Naval Academy professor Mark McWilliams discusses Morrison's novel "Song of Solomon." Prince Frederick library, 30 Duke St., Prince Frederick. Free. 410-535-0291 or 301-855-1862.
OYSTER AND HAM DINNER -- Noon- 5 p.m. Sunday. Menu includes sweet potatoes, green beans, succotash, coleslaw, iced tea and coffee. Carryout available. Cobb Island Volunteer Fire Department, 13290 Main Ave., Cobb Island. $21; ages 6-12, $11; ages 5 and younger, free. 301-259-2730.
BIKERS WITH HEART TOY RUN -- 10 a.m.-12:30 p.m. Saturday, registration; 1 p.m., departure. A charity motorcycle ride to collect money and supplies for children at St. Ann's Infant and Maternity Home in Hyattsville. The ride departs from Harley Davidson of Washington, 9407 Livingston Rd., Fort Washington. Donations are $15 or gift certificates from selected businesses. 301-893-2900. www.fireupthundrout.com.
TRADITIONAL THANKSGIVING DINNER -- 3-7 p.m. Saturday. Carryout available. Emmanuel United Methodist Church, 1250 Emmanuel Church Rd., Huntingtown. $14; children, $7; ages 3 and younger, free. 410-535-3177.
OYSTER ROAST -- 1-5 p.m. Saturday. The menu includes fried, raw and steamed oysters, oyster stew, oyster puffs, ham, baked beans, potato salad, coleslaw, rolls, ice tea, lemonade and beer. Deale Volunteer Fire Department, 6007 Drum Point Rd., Deale. $27. 410-867-9374.
SUNDAY LUNCHEON -- 12:30-2 p.m. Sunday. Menu includes ham, scalloped potatoes, green beans, coleslaw, rolls and dessert. American Legion Post 274, 11820 H.G. Trueman Rd., Lusby. $5. 410-326-3274.
FIRST BEAM CELEBRATION -- 3 p.m. Sunday. Music, tours and food to mark the placing of the first beam of the re-creation of the colonial-era Brick Chapel, which will be an interpretive exhibit about Maryland. Historic St. Mary's City, Chapel Field, Rosecroft Road off Route 5, St. Mary's City. $90, to benefit continued construction of the project. 240-895-4991.
"MAN OF LA MANCHA" -- 8 p.m. Nov. 11 and 12, 2 p.m. Nov. 13, 8 p.m. Nov. 18 and 19 and 2 p.m. Nov. 20. College of Southern Maryland's Theatre Company performs Dale Wasserman's adaptation of "Don Quixote." College of Southern Maryland, Fine Arts Center Theatre, La Plata campus, 8730 Mitchell Rd., La Plata. $14; students and seniors, $12. 301-934-7828 or 301-870-3008, Ext. 7828. www.csmd.edu/finearts.
"CYRANO DE BERGERAC" -- 7:30 p.m. Nov. 11 and 12 and 2 p.m. Nov. 13. Northern High Theatre Department presents an adaptation of the Edmond Rostand classic. Northern High School, Mary Harrison Center, 2950 Chaneyville Rd., Owings. $6; students and seniors, $4. 410-257-1519.
"THE FIRST THANKSGIVING" -- 4:30-7:30 p.m. Nov. 12. A historical tour with a team of actors portraying a pilgrim household in the 17th century and with a complete harvest meal served. Lyceum for Lifelong Learning, 103 Centennial St., La Plata. $39. Register by Tuesday. 301-392-0213.
VETERANS DAY PARADE -- 10 a.m. Nov. 11. A crowd of 4,000 is expected, along with marching bands, military units and an appearance by the Anheuser-Busch Clydesdales. Washington Street, Leonardtown. Free. 301-475-9791.
VETERANS DAY CEREMONY -- 11 a.m. Nov. 11. Addresses by the post chaplain and a guest speaker, followed by a wreath-laying ceremony. American Legion Post 82, 6330 Crain Hwy., La Plata. Free. 301-932-1399.
VETERANS DAY CEREMONY -- 10:15 a.m. Nov. 11. Featuring a wreath-laying presentation and a guest speaker. Veterans Green, Calvert County Courthouse, 175 Main St., Prince Frederick. Free. 410-535-2448.
MILITARY APPRECIATION DAY -- 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Nov. 11. Free admission to guests who present appropriate military identification, as well as discounts in the museum's store. Calvert Marine Museum, 14150 Solomons Island Rd., Solomons. 410-326-2042, Ext.17.
MOUNT CARMEL BENEFIT -- The Restorers of Mount Carmel group sponsors a series of coach trips to benefit the new building fund at Mount Carmel Monastery. 301-645-5203.
* Saturday. A trip to Richmond for the Virginia Christmas Show, with culinary demonstrations and holiday shopping opportunities. Includes transportation, admission, dinner and driver gratuity. $60.
* Nov. 30 and Dec. 1. An overnight trip to the Patti Page Christmas Show in Greensburg, Pa. Transportation, show, lodging, two breakfasts, two dinners and driver gratuity are included. Price varies according to lodging arrangements.
VENDORS AND CRAFTERS WANTED -- Groups seeking crafts and vendors for fairs, flea markets, trade fairs and similar events:
* 9 a.m.-2 p.m. Saturday. Craft and Collectors Fest, Good Shepherd Methodist Church, 305 E. Smallwood Dr., Waldorf. 301-934-3635.
* 9 a.m.-1 p.m. Nov. 19. Craft show at Lexington Park United Methodist Church, 21760 Great Mills Rd., Lexington Park. $20 per table. Call 301-862-3516 or 301-737-4070 before Nov. 5.
* 9 a.m.-2 p.m. Dec. 3. Crafts are sought for the Holiday Craft Bazaar, Calvert Country School, 1350 Dares Beach Rd., Prince Frederick. Register before Nov. 11 at 410-535-7300.
* 10 a.m.-3 p.m. Dec.4. Humane Society of Charles County Holiday Craft Fair. Local craftspeople are invited to take part. 6-by-6-foot space, $35 rent; 2-by-6-foot table, $8 rent. Thomas Stone High School, 3785 Leonardtown Rd., Waldorf. To reserve, call 301-645-1063, Ext. 3. www.humanesocietycc.org.
* 10 a.m.-3 p.m. Dec. 10. Crafts sought for Northern Music Boosters Holiday Craft Bazaar, Northern High School, 2950 Chaneyville Rd., Owings. $30 per space. For an application, call 410-257-1519; for more information, call 301-855-3985.
In the Region
BIRDING AT JUG BAY -- 8-11 a.m. Saturday. Ages 12 and older can learn the skills of identifying birds by sight and sound, with binoculars and field guides available to borrow. Jug Bay Wetlands Sanctuary, 1361 Wrighton Rd., Lothian. $3; seniors and ages 17 and under, $2. 410-741-9330 or www.jugbay.org.
-- Compiled by MICHAEL TUNISON
To Submit an Item
Mail: Entertainment, Southern Maryland Extra, The Washington Post, 100 N. Oak Ave., La Plata, Md. 20646
Details: Send announcements and photos, noting the date, time, address and cost of the event, along with a phone number. The deadline is 14 days before publication. Events are listed as space permits.