Robert D. Tolson

Real Estate Executive

Robert D. Tolson, 61, who had a real estate business in Northern Virginia, died Nov. 2 at Inova Fairfax Hospital of complications related to a stroke. He lived in Fairfax City.

Mr. Tolson was born in Stafford and was a 1961 graduate of Stafford High School. After graduating from Lynchburg College in 1965, he joined American Bank in Woodbridge. He was in the insurance business from 1974 to 1976, when he joined Mount Vernon Realty.

In 1979, he opened Hearthstone Properties in Burke, later merging with Fairlington Properties and Barcroft Properties. Mr. Tolson worked primarily in residential real estate, but he helped develop Fairlington Office Park in Arlington in 1988. He retired in 1995.

He was a member of the Northern Virginia Association of Realtors and served as chairman of its ethics committee. He was a member of Calvary Church of the Nazarene of Annandale.

Survivors include his wife of 23 years, Dolly Tolson of Fairfax; two stepdaughters, Dawn Kelly of Fairfax Station and Darci Renzi of Leesburg; two sisters, Jeanette Hudson of Stafford and Joanne Hatfield of Shepherdsville, Ky.; and four grandchildren.

E. Grey Lewis

Navy General Counsel

E. Grey Lewis, 68, a former Navy general counsel who specialized in government contract matters in private practice, died Nov. 2 at Inova Alexandria Hospital. He had cancer.

Early in his career, Mr. Lewis was an assistant U.S. attorney for the District of Columbia and deputy assistant attorney general in the Justice Department's civil division.

From 1973 to 1977 he was general counsel at the Navy and handled legal cases affecting procurement. He also acted as personal adviser to Secretaries of the Navy John W. Warner and J. William Middendorf II.

He was a recipient of the Navy Distinguished Public Service Award.

After leaving the Navy, he started a Washington law practice, Lewis, Kominers and James. For much of the 1990s, he was affiliated with the Washington office of McDermott, Will & Emery. He later had his own private practice.

Edward Grey Lewis, an Alexandria resident, was a native of Atlantic City and a 1959 graduate of Princeton University. After Army service he was a 1963 graduate of the University of Pennsylvania law school.

His marriage to Sherry Willis Lewis ended in divorce.

A son from his second marriage, E. Grey Lewis Jr., died in infancy in 1980.

Survivors include his wife of 28 years, Carolyn Groves Lewis of Alexandria; a daughter from the first marriage, Amy Gambill of Charlotte; three children from the second marriage, Leslie Lewis of New Orleans and Peter Lewis and Sarah Lewis, both of Alexandria; a brother; three sisters; and two grandsons.

Thomas Andrew Broaddus


Thomas Andrew Broaddus, 75, a Washington native who drove a taxi in Montgomery County, died Oct. 29 of congestive failure at Doctors Community Hospital in Lanham. He had diabetes and had suffered a series of falls.

Mr. Broaddus was born in Washington and graduated from Calvin Coolidge High School, where he was an officer in the Cadet Corps. He joined the Air Force in 1950 and was a radar and radio operator on B-29 and B-36 bombers. He flew on 25 bombing missions during the Korean War and was awarded the Air Medal.

After leaving the Air Force, he lived in New Mexico for a few years, selling insurance. He returned to the Washington region and managed the old Flower movie theater in Takoma Park and the old Baronet theater in Bethesda in the late 1960s. He later drove school buses and adult day-care buses.

For more than 20 years, he drove a Barwood taxicab in Montgomery. After his retirement in the late 1990s, he worked at a Wal-Mart in Bowie.

Mr. Broaddus lived in Silver Spring for many years before moving to Bowie. He was a licensed pilot and enjoyed flying private planes. He was also an avid reader.

His marriage to Irene Scranton Broaddus ended in divorce.

Survivors include his wife of 27 years, Carole Mae Broaddus of Bowie; two children from his first marriage, Susan Marie Broaddus of Crofton and Thomas A. Broaddus Jr. of Frederick; five stepchildren, Sam Guglielmini of Elizabeth City, N.C., Michael Guglielmini and Paul Guglielmini, both of Germantown, April Guglielmini of Martinsburg, W.Va., and Larry Mitchell of Oklahoma City; a brother, John Broaddus of Greenbelt; a sister, Katharine Rountree of Largo; and 23 grandchildren.

Paul E. Smith

Supervisor of Assessments

Paul E. Smith, 82, a retired supervisor of assessments for Fairfax County, died of cancer Oct. 30 at his Fairfax City home.

Mr. Smith was born in Dixmont, Maine. He joined the Navy in 1942 and served in the Pacific Theater aboard the destroyer tender USS Prairie during World War II. He received a bachelor's degree from the University of Maine in 1948.

He was the tax assessor for Brunswick, Maine, for two years and Aberdeen, S.D., for three, before moving to Chicago to work as vice president of marketing and research for the J. L. Jacobs Co. He wrote appraisal manuals for states and conducted schools for appraisers across the country.

In 1976, he became director of the personal property tax for Fairfax County and later the county's supervisor of assessments. He served as president of the National Association of Mass Appraisers and was active in the International Association of Assessing Officers. He retired in 1994.

Mr. Smith was an enthusiastic amateur mineralogist. In retirement he and his wife collected, studied and preserved mineral crystals so small they had to be viewed through a microscope. Called micro-mounting, his collection consists of thousands of such tiny mineral specimens, many of which he discovered in Manassas Quarry, Medford Quarry and Rockville Quarry.

Survivors include his wife of 57 years, Jennie Smith of Fairfax; two children, Woodrow Smith of Hampton, Ga., and Paula Baker of Hurst, Tex.; and five grandchildren.

Alfred Emile Karam

Department Store Employee

Alfred Emile Karam, 75, a former Macy's Department Store employee, died Oct. 24 at Inova Fairfax Hospital of complications caused by Alzheimer's disease.

Mr. Karam was born in Hadath Beirut, Lebanon. After graduating from high school, he held several positions in banking, primarily in customer service and personnel. Fleeing the chaos of Lebanon's civil war, he immigrated with his family to the United States in 1978, settling in Falls Church and later in Fairfax County. He worked in banking for a few years before joining Macy's, where he worked in sales and security at the Tysons Galleria location. He retired in 1993.

He enjoyed traveling to the Middle East, Europe and the Far East. In retirement, he volunteered at the Fairfax County Public Library.

Survivors include his wife of 35 years, Samira Karam of Fairfax County; two children, Vicky Hernandez of Falls Church and Emile Karam of Fairfax County; and three grandsons.

Francis Joseph Conlon

Airports Engineer

Francis Joseph Conlon, 73, a retired chief of engineering for the Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority, died Nov. 1 of sepsis, renal failure and multiple myeloma at Holy Cross Hospital in Silver Spring.

Mr. Conlon was born in Chicago and grew up in the District. A 1950 graduate of Gonzaga College High School, he played tackle on the 1949 varsity city championship team. He served in Korea with the Marine Corps from 1950 to 1952 and then enrolled at Catholic University, where he received a bachelor's degree in civil engineering in 1961.

As a college student, married and with a family, he worked part time at Giant and at what was then National Airport. After he got his degree, he joined the Federal Aviation Administration as an engineer.

During his 33 years of service with the FAA and the Airports Authority, he played a significant role in a number of notable projects, including the design of Dulles International Airport and the modernization of Reagan National Airport. Against persistent opposition, he pushed for lengthening the runway at National by reclaiming land from the Potomac. His insistence seemed prescient some years later when a plane nearly skidded off the end of the newly lengthened runway. He retired in 1992 as chief of engineering for the Airports Authority.

Mr. Conlon, a Civil War buff, read every book he could get his hands on about the war; finding one he hadn't read to give him as a Christmas or birthday present was a real challenge, a daughter said. He also visited most of the battlefields.

He was a lifelong football fan, particularly of the Washington Redskins. He also coached youth football in years past at the Silver Spring Boys & Girls Club and at St. Bernadette Catholic Church in Silver Spring.

He received a diagnosis of multiple myeloma 10 years ago and volunteered for numerous medical trials. He knew that a cure was likely to be too late for him, but he participated, despite the risk, in the hope that the trials would help others in the future.

Survivors include his wife of 46 years, Esther Maria Conlon of Silver Spring; nine children, Helen Colston of St. Louis, Catherine Conlon of Silver Spring, Mary Kilby of Rockville, Paula Conlon of Germantown, Teri Bechtoldt of Ellicott City, Mark Conlon of Silver Spring, Michael J. Conlon of Eldersburg, Md., John Conlon of Silver Spring and Mike T. Conlon of Silver Spring; a brother and two sisters; 15 grandchildren; and one great-grandson.

Gale Heyden Templeton

Docent, Church Volunteer

Gale Heyden Templeton, 83, a museum docent and church volunteer, died of cancer Oct. 24 at Epoch Assisted Living in Providence, R.I. She was a former resident of Washington.

Mrs. Templeton was born in Newark. She attended Colby-Sawyer College in New London, N.H., and received a certificate from the New York School of Interior Design. She accompanied her husband, a vice president for Mobile Oil, to Washington in 1981.

She was a docent at the National Gallery of Art for 10 years and a member and volunteer at National Presbyterian Church.

Her husband, Bonner H. Templeton, died in 1983. Mrs. Templeton moved to New York in 1996 and then to the Rhode Island assisted living center.

Survivors include four children, Gale T. Scott of Cranbury, N.J., Bonner E. Templeton of Denver, William W. Templeton of Providence and John S. Templeton of Groton, Mass.; a sister; eight grandchildren; and six great-grandchildren.