Marianne S. Fogelsanger

Business Owner

Marianne Strachan Fogelsanger, 82, whose historic Anchorage House was a popular place for private parties in Alexandria and home to her antique business, died Oct. 27 of a stroke in a nursing facility in Denton, Md. She had lived in Denton since 2002.

Mrs. Fogelsanger, a successful master chef, operated the Anchorage House catering company with her husband. The couple lived on the upper floors of the house, built in 1790 in the heart of Old Town, and rented the house for parties. "Their home is yours for your party," a 1979 Washington Post article said.

The 18th-century mansion, with its Persian carpets and crystal chandeliers, was a favored spot for weddings, receptions, bar mitzvahs, wakes, meetings and private dinners. It also was the place where Mrs. Fogelsanger established "Anchorage House Antiques," a business offering Oriental and European antiques, interior design assistance and appraisals.

Mrs. Fogelsanger also managed Canton Row Antiques in St. Michaels, while continuing Anchorage House Antiques with up to five outlet mall shops, through 1999.

Mrs. Fogelsanger was born in Dundee, Scotland, and traveled extensively with her mother and father, an officer with the Royal Air Forces. Her stays in Malaya, Singapore, and India's northwest frontier nurtured a love of the region and for collecting oriental antiques.

In 1939, she returned to England and shortly afterward was assigned by the National Draft to work in an airplane parts factory. Near the end of the war, she married a young West Point officer and immigrated to the United States.

During the early 1950s in Washington, she worked with the Community Chest (now United Way), the United Planning Organization as administrative manager, and the Washington Center for Metropolitan Studies. Between those assignments, from 1958 to 1962, she worked with the Massachusetts Institute of Technology's Operations Evaluation Group, predecessor of the Center for Naval Analyses, doing work for the Navy at the Pentagon.

When she joined her husband on duty tours to Tehran, Iran, she worked with the U.S. Embassy on protocol and social matters. In the late 1950s, she worked closely with her mentor and friend, master chef Max Hauri and his wife, while training at the Ecole de Haute Cuisine, in Geneva, Switzerland.

Mrs. Fogelsanger moved from Alexandria in 1982 to the Eastern Shore, where she served as president of the St. Andrew's Society of the Eastern Shore. She was active with the Ladies Auxiliary of the Easton Memorial Hospital. She also was president of the Delmarva Peninsula Ladies 18 Hole Golf Association.

Her marriage to Norman L. Williams ended in divorce.

Survivors include her husband, Donald K. Fogelsanger, whom she married in 1963, of Denton; and a brother, Alan Bow Sr. of Arlington.

Thomas Edward Kenney

Air Force Lawyer

Thomas Edward Kenney, 80, an Air Force officer and lawyer, died Oct. 23 of a stroke at Reston Hospital Center. He lived in Reston.

Col. Kenney, who was born in Milwaukee, entered the Army Air Forces in 1943 and was commissioned as an officer in 1945. He was transferred to the Air Force when it was formed in 1947.

He was a graduate of Drake University in Des Moines and received a bachelor of laws degree from Drake in 1950. The following year, he was assigned to the Air Force Office of Special Investigations in Korea and, later, in Japan.

Meanwhile, Col. Kenney remained an active "line officer" and was a navigator of B-29 bombers. From 1958 to 1968, he logged 3,000 hours as a navigator of B-52s.

In 1968, he received a doctor of laws degree from Drake and was named chief of personnel actions at the Strategic Air Command headquarters in Omaha. He was also director of the air command's office of equal opportunity.

In 1971, Col. Kenney was assigned to the Pentagon, where he served on several Air Force commissions and helped draft legislation and personnel actions. He was also legal adviser to Maj. Gen. Jeanne M. Holm, director of the Secretary of the Air Force Personnel Council.

Among his decorations, Col. Kenney received the Legion of Merit and two Meritorious Service Medals. He retired from the Air Force in 1976.

Col. Kenney operated a legal recruitment firm in Washington from 1976 to 1990, acting as a liaison between law firms and lawyers seeking employment.

He appeared on "60 Minutes" twice, first to discuss conscientious objectors, and the second time to discuss driving maneuvers to avoid terrorist attacks. A longtime sports-car enthusiast, Col. Kenney worked in the late 1970s with Bill Scott Racing Inc. and was a member of the Sports Car Club of America, as well as local Porsche clubs.

In 1990, Col. Kenney joined Brentano's of Tysons Corner as a bookseller. He transferred a few months later to the store's Reston location, where he was in charge of ordering books on history until 1998. The store was known for its extensive holdings of books on American and military history.

From 1971 to 1977, he was a coach and commissioner of Reston Soccer Association. He was a docent at the Smithsonian Institution's Paul E. Garber Preservation, Restoration, and Storage Facility in Suitland in the late 1970s.

Survivors include his wife of 47 years, Joan C. Kenney of Reston; five children, Christopher Kenney of Reston, Terence Kenney of Sunnyvale, Calif., Thomas Kenney of Los Angeles, Catherine Locke of Fairfax County and Edward Kenney of Sterling; and one grandson.

Grace Danielian

Lobbyist, Volunteer

Grace Danielian, 91, a volunteer who lobbied Congress in the 1950s, died Oct. 21 of pneumonia at Suburban Hospital. She lived in Potomac.

Mrs. Danielian had lived in the Washington area since 1941. She helped her husband, Dr. N.R. Danielian, who was president of the Great Lakes-St. Lawrence Association, lobby Congress to secure passage of the St. Lawrence Seaway Act in 1954.

Mrs. Danielian was a member of the Chevy Chase Woman's Club and participated in its dramatic productions. She was an avid figure skater into her sixties and won many trophies in local golf tournaments.

She was active in Republican politics and participated in fundraising events for the National Symphony Orchestra. She was a member of the Congressional Country Club and of St. Francis Episcopal Church in Potomac. She enjoyed traveling and had visited more than 35 countries.

Mrs. Danielian was born in New York City and was a graduate of Hunter College there. She taught high school economics in New York before moving to the Washington area. She lived in Chevy Chase before moving to Potomac in the early 1970s.

Her husband, whom she married in 1936, died in 1974.

Survivors include two children, Ronald Danielian of Darnestown and Sandra Kerno of London; six grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren.

Eulalie 'Leila' Fenhagen

Clinical Social Worker

Eulalie Swinton "Leila" Fenhagen, 54, a 1969 graduate of the National Cathedral School in Washington who spent a decade as director of clinical social work at Boys Town in New York City, died Nov. 7 at her home in Georgetown, S.C. She had lung cancer.

Ms. Fenhagen worked at Boys Town from 1990 to 2000 and then spent several years as director of what became the South Carolina Center for Family Programs in Charleston. Her appreciation of rhythm-and-blues music influenced a program she developed for low-income youngsters to learn computer skills by providing access to a professional recording studio.

Describing her work with youths, she once said: "I was small, short, never threatening. I could get to them."

She was born in Chattanooga and raised in Washington, where her father became rector of St. John's Episcopal Church and warden of the Washington National Cathedral's College of Preachers.

While a high school senior, Ms. Fenhagen interned at Junior Village, a now-defunct public orphanage in Southwest Washington. She said this had an impact on her career decisions.

She was a psychology graduate of Emory University in Atlanta and received a master's degree in social work from the University of Connecticut.

Early on, she was a psychiatric social worker for adolescents at hospitals in Charleston and Austin. While in New York, she became a certified field instructor with faculty status at the Columbia University School of Social Work.

In South Carolina, she co-chaired a fundraising group for the Washington National Cathedral.

She also wrote poetry and was involved in dolphin rescue.

Survivors include her parents, the Rev. James C. Fenhagen and Eulalie Fenhagen of Georgetown, S.C.; and two brothers, James C. Fenhagen III of Montclair, N.J., and John M. Fenhagen of Washington.

Dennis Warren Piercy

Union Carpenter

Dennis Warren Piercy, 53, an Arlington native and union carpenter in Washington state, died of an aortic aneurysm Nov.3 at Island Hospital in Anacortes, Wash.

Mr. Piercy graduated from Fairfax High School and began working in construction on a tunnel in the District.

A resident of Sedro-Woolley, Wash., for 28 years, he was a member of Local 1532 of the United Brotherhood of Carpenters and Joiners of America and worked in commercial construction.

Mr. Piercy enjoyed the Seattle Mariners, woodworking, photography, reading, car shows and rebuilding his 1939 Chevrolet Coupe, his pride and joy.

Among family and friends, he was known for his leadership abilities, said his son. "When people needed an answer or help, Denny was the man they turned to."

Survivors include his wife of 27 years, Janice Shuler Piercy of Sedro-Woolley; three children, Selina Dziura of Burlington, Wash., Rob Piercy of Phoenix and Ashley Piercy of Sedro-Woolley; a brother, Keith Piercy of Midlothian, Va.; and a sister, Marcea Gore of Delmont, Pa.; and two grandchildren.

Lynne Stein Monson

Nonprofit Executive

Lynne Stein Monson, 63, former legislative director for Planned Parenthood in New Jersey, died of congestive heart failure Nov. 8 at Overlook Hospital in Summit, N.J.

Ms. Monson was born in New York City and grew up in North Portal Estates in Northwest Washington. She graduated from Calvin Coolidge Senior High School in 1960 and from the University of California at Berkeley in 1964. She returned to the District for a year before marrying and moving to Fanwood, N.J.

She was state legislative director for Planned Parenthood for 20 years and worked about seven more years as head of volunteer services for a local hospital. She retired in 2002.

Survivors include her husband, Stephen Monson of Fanwood; two sons, David Monson of Redding, Conn., and Michael Monson of New York City; a brother, Alex Stein of North Bethesda; two sisters, Gail Stein Cohan of Bethesda and Sallie Stein Findlay of Deer Isle, Maine; and two grandchildren.

Walter W. Dosh

Lawyer, Naval Officer

Walter W. Dosh, 90, a retired lawyer and naval officer, died Nov. 7 of cancer at Suburban Hospital. He was a Kensington resident.

Mr. Dosh was born in the District and was valedictorian of St. John's College High School in 1932. He received a law degree from Columbus School of Law, forerunner to the Catholic University Law School, in 1935, and a master's degree, with a specialty in patent laws, from Catholic in 1936.

He practiced law in the District for five years before joining the Army in 1941. He received a commission as Navy ensign that year, just before Pearl Harbor. He served in the Mediterranean area for two years, where he was a communication officer for a PT boat squadron and in charge of an advanced communication unit. He also was detached for special duty with the Judge Advocate General Corps and tried numerous courts martial.

After being discharged, he became a trial lawyer for the Department of Justice, handling antitrust cases. He retired in 1975.

In retirement, he practiced law occasionally and enjoyed traveling. He was a member of Holy Redeemer Catholic Church in Kensington.

Survivors include his wife of 58 years, Dorothy Kilmain Dosh of Kensington; six children, Mary Dosh of Kensington, Walter Dosh Jr. of Mankato, Minn., Dorothy Grantham of Olney, Patrick Dosh of Glen Allen, Va., Deborah Dosh of Olney and Brenda Dosh of Olney; and nine grandchildren.

Thomas Kenney