Local government officials are seeking volunteers to serve on boards and commissions.

Charles County

Charles County needs to fill one vacancy on each of the following panels:

* Planning Commission -- Members advise the county commissioners on plans for development and resource use. They also supervise the Master Plan, Zoning Ordinance and subdivision regulations. Members serve four-year terms. Meetings are on the first and third Monday of each month at 7 p.m. in La Plata.

* Wicomico Scenic River Commission -- This group acts as a watchdog for the watershed and advises officials on matters affecting the river. Members serve four-year terms and meet on the second Thursday of every other month. The vacancy is for a full-term shoreline resident.

* Local Citizens Review Panel -- Members analyze the child welfare system and make recommendations to improve it. Terms are for three years. Meetings are quarterly.

* Area Council on Aging -- The council advises the commissioners on the needs and concerns of the county's senior citizens and assists in the development and review of the Area Aging Plan. Members serve four-year terms. Meetings are on the second Thursday of each month at 9:30 a.m. in La Plata.

* Board of Zoning Appeals -- The board hears and decides appeals and variances and interprets the zoning laws when necessary. Members serve four-year terms. Meetings are on the second and fourth Tuesdays of each month at 7 p.m. in La Plata.

Anyone interested in serving on any of these boards or commissions should contact Nina Voehl, public information officer, at 301-645-0580 or by e-mail at voehln@charlescounty.org to obtain an application form. You can also download an application from the Charles County government's Web site at www.charlescounty.org/boards/application.pdf. Applications are due by Nov. 30.

St. Mary's County

The St. Mary's County government is seeking residents interested in serving on boards, committees and commissions.

Applications are available in the county's Public Information Office at the Governmental Center in Leonardtown or by calling 301-475-4200, Ext. 1341. Applications, as well as meeting dates and times for each committee, can be found on the county's Web site, www.co.saint-marys.md.us/voluntr.

All applications must include a resume. To be considered for appointments effective Jan. 1, applications must be submitted by Nov. 18.

The following boards have existing and potential vacancies:

* Airport Advisory Committee -- Advises the Board of County Commissioners and county government on planning, development and related issues in management of the airport.

* Agriculture, Seafood and Forestry Commission -- Identifies and implements activities aimed at preserving agriculture and seafood harvesting as prosperous components of the county's economy; also provides a permanent forum for the discussion of public policy issues relating to agriculture, seafood and forestry.

* Cable Advisory Committee -- Advises the commissioners on matters related to the use of cable systems and facilities; reviews complaints and system malfunction statistics; makes recommendations to the franchisee and commissioners on technical and programming matters; and assists in evaluating the performance of the cable system.

* Commission on Aging -- Advises on the coordination of government programs involving senior citizens.

* Commission on People with Disabilities -- Works to increase acceptance and full participation of those with disabilities in all aspects of county life.

* Commission on the Environment -- Promotes environmental awareness through research and public meetings; serves as county government's official representative in matters related to the environment.

* Community Health Advisory Committee -- Advises the Board of Health regarding the health problems of St. Mary's County and helps develop a St. Mary's County community health policy.

* Electrical Examiners Board -- Enforces St. Mary's County laws on electrical systems and their installation and repair.

* Historic Preservation Commission -- Assists in the identification and designation of historic districts within St. Mary's County.

* Library Board of Trustees -- Deals with all aspects of the library, including services, staff, rules and regulations and other functions.

* Marcey House Board -- Oversees the business and day-to-day operations of the Marcey House, a residential facility for the treatment and counseling of people recovering from substance abuse.

* Metropolitan Commission -- Oversees the commission that operates the public water and sewer system within the county.

* Planning Commission -- Advises the commissioners on plans for county development and resource use; supervises the Master Plan, Zoning Ordinance and subdivision regulations.

* Plumbing Board -- Enforces the county Plumbing Code.

* Recreation and Parks Board -- Oversees public recreation, including establishment, operation and maintenance of parks throughout St. Mary's County.

* Solid Waste Advisory Board -- Reviews solid waste management issues in the county.

* Teen Center Advisory Board -- Advises the Recreation and Parks Board and the commissioners on matters affecting the Teen Center, including programs, budget, fundraising and community involvement.

* Tri-County Youth Services Bureau -- Assists with efforts to prevent Calvert, Charles and St. Mary's county youth from becoming involved in the juvenile justice system.

* Wicomico River Commission -- Advises county officials on the stewardship of the Wicomico River watershed and how to further the aims of the Scenic and Wild Rivers Act.

* Wicomico Shores Golf Course Advisory Board -- Advises the commissioners and other county officials on planning and development, fees, policies and related issues in management of the golf course.

* Zoning Board of Appeals -- Hears and decides appeals alleging error in any order, requirement, decision or determination made by an administrative official regarding zoning and land use.

For more information, contact the Public Information Office at 301-475-4200, Ext. 1341.