HEALTH CONNECTIONS MOBILE OUTREACH
An overview of health screenings, wellness education, disease prevention and other community services offered by St. Mary's Hospital, St. Mary's County Health Department and St. Mary's County Department of Social Services. For more information on the hospital's outreach center or a listing of locations and times, call 301-475-6019. To schedule an outreach visit call 301-475-6195.
WEIGHT MANAGEMENT FOR WOMEN
Offered by Civista Women's Health Center (9). This 12-week medically managed program includes consultations with physicians, dietitians, exercise physiologists and counselors; weekly education and support sessions; pedometer and instructions; food logs and workbook; medical evaluation and lab work; and weekly strength training. A lifetime maintenance program is available. Call the center for dates of the next program.
FLU IMMUNIZATION PROGRAM
Offered by Calvert County's health department and public schools to healthy children ages 5 and older who are enrolled in public schools. A nasal spray will be used instead of injections. Vaccines will be administered for free in the schools. www.calvertnet.k12.md.us.
EMERGENCY PREPAREDNESS TALKS
The talk "Being Prepared Is Central to Good Health," offered by the St. Mary's County Health Department, outlines steps families can take to prepare for an emergency or disaster. To schedule a 30-minute presentation, call Erin Reiney at 301-475-4330.
HIV TESTING AND COUNSELING
Appointments available from 1 to 3 p.m. Wednesdays at St. Mary's County Health Department (14). Call Lana Horton, community health nurse, at 301-475-4295. www.dhmh.state.md.us/AIDS.
WHEELCHAIRS FOR SENIORS
* Powered wheelchairs are available, usually at no out-of-pocket cost, to nonambulatory seniors ages 65 and older who qualify. 800-749-8778 or www.jaspanmedical.com.
* "Wishes on Wheels" program offers wheelchairs, usually at no out-of-pocket cost, to seniors ages 65 and older who qualify. 800-823-5220 or www.threewishes2.com.
* Medicare recipients who have arthritis, cardiovascular disease or respiratory disorders, and also have difficulty walking or using a standard wheelchair, may be eligible for an electric wheelchair. Call Gregory Coleman at 800-810-2877.
HEALTH SERVICES FOR THE ELDERLY
For seniors who find it difficult to leave home, the Chesapeake-Potomac Home Health Agency Inc., a nonprofit group serving Charles, Calvert and St. Mary's counties, will make home visits to draw blood for lab tests, organize prescription drugs or fill insulin syringes. Call the Intake Office at 800-656-4343, Ext. 121, and press option No. 4.
* Bay Healing Arts Center offers acupuncture, massage, reflexology and acupressure facial therapy. 9129 Bay Ave., North Beach. 410-286-9110.
* Heaven to Earth Healing Arts offers "energy work," noninvasive techniques that help people access their natural healing abilities. 50-minute session, $65. Call 410-257-0147.
* Offered by Calvert Memorial Hospital (3). Reduce pain, soothe injured muscles, stimulate circulation, promote relaxation and relieve stress. Full-body, one-hour massages, $60. Seated chair massage for head, neck, back, shoulders, arms and hands. Call 410-394-2816 or 301-855-1012, Ext. 2816, for times and locations.
VISITING NURSE ASSOCIATION EXPANDS
MedStar Health Visiting Nurse Association's new office in Camp Springs offers home care in Calvert, Charles, St. Mary's and southern Prince George's counties. Services include wound care, infusion and rehabilitation. Specialty care in cardiology and cardiac rehabilitation, ostomy, oncology, stroke and joint replacement rehabilitation, diabetes, maternal/child health, pediatrics and respiratory therapy are also available. 301-931-3100.
CIVISTA ON THE LINE
Civista Medical Center offers free referrals of medical staff members. Callers can also register for Civista-sponsored events and classes and receive information on health-related county resources. 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. weekdays. 888-332-4847.
The Southern Maryland chapter of the United Ostomy Association of America is available to anyone seeking information. Call Jerry Kluckman at 410-326-2207.
ASTHMA AND ALLERGY CENTER
Southern Maryland Hospital Center (17) offers a detailed evaluation, including complete medical history and physical examination, a consultation with a pulmonologist and a breathing test. Fee charged. 301-877-4616.
Southern Maryland Hospital Center (17) offers transportation for outpatient services when personal transportation is not available. 301-877-4357.
Offered by Calvert Memorial Hospital Annex (4). Ultrasound equipment is used to detect blocked arteries. Recommended for individuals 50 and older. 5-7 p.m. Thursday. Registration required. $25.
BLOOD PRESSURE SCREENING
* Calvert Memorial Hospital (3) offers screenings from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. the third Tuesday of the month. No appointment needed. Free. Call 410-535-8233 or 301-855-1012, Ext. 8233.
* Civista Medical Center (8) offers screenings from 1 to 3 p.m. the first and third Mondays of the month in La Plata. Free.
* Calvert Pines Senior Center (2) offers screenings from 11 a.m. to noon the first and third Thursdays of the month. Free.
* North Beach Senior Center (13) offers screenings from 10 to 11 a.m. the first Friday of the month. Free.
* Southern Maryland Hospital Center (17) offers screenings from noon to 8 p.m. Thursdays in the hospital solarium. Free.
* St. Mary's Medical Center at Charlotte Hall offers screenings from 9 a.m. to noon the first Friday of the month. Free. 301-290-1499. 37767 Market Dr.
* St. Mary's Hospital (15) offers screenings from 9 a.m. to noon the second Friday of the month in the lobby. Free.
Meet others who are coping with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), emphysema and chronic bronchitis. Updates on lung cancer and information on good nutrition. 6-7:30 p.m.Wednesday, St. Mary's Hospital (15). Free.
DIABETES WALK AND TALK
Offered by Health Connections at St. Mary's Hospital (15) on the first and third Wednesdays of each month. A walk around St. Mary's Hospital campus and discussion of how walking can be used as part of a self-management program. Comfortable clothing and shoes recommended. Bring your glucose meter. Weather permitting. 1-2 p.m. Wednesday. Free. 301-475-6019.
STRESS LESS MINI-RETREAT
Offered by Calvert Memorial Hospital for groups of up to 15 at Solomons Medical Center (16). Program may include individual appointments for the Trager Approach or seated massage or group instruction in relaxation techniques, meditation and guided imagery. 410-394-2816.
LOOK GOOD, FEEL BETTER
Offered by Calvert Memorial Hospital (3) for female cancer patients in any stage of diagnosis or treatment. Class teaches hands-on techniques to overcome side effects of chemotherapy and radiation and improve self-image. 10 a.m.-noon. Saturday. Free.
Discussion about what's new in pain management. 6:30-7:30 p.m. Wednesday, Calvert Memorial Hospital (3). Free.
HEART TALKS AVAILABLE
Presented by St. Mary's County Health Department, the talks address hypertension and the symptoms and signs of stroke and heart attack. To schedule a 45-minute presentation, call Betsy Tyer at 301-475-4079.
* Calvert Memorial Hospital offers courses in CPR techniques for adults, infants and children. Certification for health care providers. Call 410-535-8233 or 301-855-1012, Ext. 8233, for dates and times of classes.
* A variety of courses are offered by St. Mary's Hospital Health Connections. Call 301-475-6019.
"A COPING SKILLS TOOLBOX"
Classes teach how to look for signs of stress and how to reduce it. 7:30-9 p.m. Thursday and Dec. 15. Southern Maryland Hospital Center (17), Colony South Hotel and Conference Center, 7401 Surratts Rd., Clinton. Free. Call 301-877-7370.
Participants will learn how many calories they need. They can meet their weight goals with a personalized diet prepared by a registered dietitian. Calvert Memorial Hospital (3). Call for appointment. One-hour session, $40; four sessions, $130.
COMPUTERIZED BODY COMPOSITION
Body composition assessments give a computer printout of participants' lean body mass, body fat and recommendations for optimal weight and weight loss. Calvert Memorial Hospital (3). $20. Call for an appointment, 410-535-8245 or 301-855-1012, Ext. 8245.
Get a fitness assessment from a certified fitness trainer. Tests evaluate muscle strength, flexibility, aerobic endurance and body composition. Calvert Memorial Hospital (3). $50. Call for an appointment, 410-535-8245 or 301-855-1012, Ext. 8245.
* Calvert Memorial Hospital (3) offers a program that teaches people how to balance their lifestyle and diabetes. This program is covered by most health insurance plans. To schedule an appointment, call 410-414-4809.
* At St. Mary's Hospital (15), professionals will help with diabetic meal planning, monitoring, treatment options and daily coping. Self-management classes are offered days, evenings and Saturdays. Call 301-475-6019.
* Civista Women's Health Center (9) offers a program of two group classes and two individual sessions. Call 301-609-5200 to discuss insurance coverage and registration.
* Maryland Foundation for Quality Healthcare Inc. offers two-hour classes at a variety of times and locations in Charles and St. Mary's counties. $5 each session. Call Carol Wright to register at 301-870-7816.
HEALTH SPEAKERS BUREAU
Health care professionals are available to present programs on health topics for a business or community group. Topics include diet and nutrition, heart disease prevention, cancer prevention, breast cancer, skin care, sleep disorders, diabetes, hearing loss, osteoporosis, alternative medicine, children's health and safety, and women's health issues. Offered by Calvert Memorial Hospital (3). 410-414-4523 or 301-855-1012, Ext. 4523.
A demonstration about the risks of tobacco use. Available upon request for groups of children in grades 6-10. Free. Calvert Memorial Hospital. Call 410-535-8233 or 301-855-1012, Ext. 8233.
* Calvert Memorial Hospital Healthy Alternatives (12) provides yoga for all ages and fitness levels. For class dates and times, call 410-394-2816 or 301-855-1012, Ext. 2816.
* Civista Women's Health Center (9) class teaches participants relaxation techniques, flexibility exercises and strengthening techniques. 10-11 a.m. Mondays, 7:30-8:30 p.m. Tuesdays and 9-10 a.m. Wednesdays. Four sessions, $30; one session, $8. Registration not required.
* Hatha Yoga classes, offered by Chris Schmitthenner. 6:30 p.m. Mondays. $25 a month. Call for location and more information, 301-472-4279.
* Gentle Yoga classes, offered by Health Connections at St. Mary's Hospital (15). 5-6 p.m. Thursdays, through Dec. 8. $38.
THE TRAGER APPROACH
Offered by Calvert Memorial Hospital Healthy Alternatives (12), Trager Bodywork uses gentle rocking and stretching movements for relaxation. Teaches simple movement exercises to maintain softness and range of motion. Clients remain fully clothed. 410-394-2816 or 301-855-1012, Ext. 2816.
For children ages 2-8 who are getting ready to have a new baby in the family. 10-11 a.m. Dec. 4, and 5-6 p.m. Dec. 16, Civista Medical Center (8). Free to children of mothers who plan to deliver at Civista.
* For new mothers who could benefit from the support of other nursing mothers. 10 a.m.-noon Wednesdays, St. Mary's Hospital (15) Health Connections. Free. 301-997-6505.
* For working women who are balancing a busy work schedule, family and nursing. 5-7 p.m. Nov. 29, Lexington Park Library, 21677 FDR Blvd., Lexington Park. Free. 301-997-6505.
EXERCISE FOR EXPECTANT, NEW MOTHERS
* Presented by Calvert Memorial Hospital. Tailored to individual needs of expectant mothers. 5:30-6:30 p.m. Tuesdays, Calvert Memorial Hospital Annex (4). Ten sessions, $50; walk-ins, $6. 410-257-5263.
* Presented by Calvert Memorial Hospital. Tailored for new mothers. Babies may attend until they are able to crawl. 4-5 p.m. Tuesdays, Calvert Memorial Hospital Annex (4). Ten sessions, $50; walk-ins, $6. 410-257-5263.
Calvert Memorial Hospital offers classes that cover labor and delivery preparation, relaxation and breathing techniques, medication options, cesarean section information and breast-feeding education. Weeknight and Saturday classes available. Call Nurturing Necessities at 410-414-5414.
INCREDIBLE YEARS PROGRAM
The Center for Children offers empowerment and problem-solving tips for parents and guardians in Charles and St. Mary's counties. 301-609-9887 or 301-475-8860.
BIRTH CENTER TOURS
* Expectant parents can tour the birth center at Calvert Memorial Hospital (3). A question-and-answer period follows. 2 p.m., the third Sunday of each month. Meet in the emergency room department. Free.
* Tour of the birth center and nursery, and chance to meet the staff members. 6-7 p.m. tomorrow and Dec. 12. Civista Medical Center (8). Free.
* Tours of St. Mary's Hospital's (15) Women's Health and Family Birthing Center. 2 p.m., second and fourth Sundays of each month. Free.
* St. Mary's Hospital (15) offers a series of monthly parenting classes free to parents who plan to deliver their child at the hospital. Classes cover baby care, breast-feeding, childbirth, infant safety, CPR and siblings. Call 301-475-6019 for times and dates of classes.
* Breast-Feeding Resource Center's certified lactation consultants will answer questions or provide a private consultation. Breast pumps and other items will be available for rent or purchase. 10 a.m.-noon Wednesdays, St. Mary's Hospital (15). Call 301-997-6505 to talk to a lactation consultant.
St. Mary's Hospital (15) offers a six-week course that teaches hatha yoga postures, breathing practices for relaxation and the use of sound to relieve stress. You can begin the class at any time after completing the first trimester of pregnancy. Permission from a health care provider is required. Fee charged. Call 301-475-6019 for dates and times and to register.
Provided by a trained therapist. 4:45-6:45 p.m. first and third Tuesdays of the month ,and 3:45-6:45 p.m. second and fourth Tuesdays, Calvert Memorial Hospital (3); 9 a.m.-noon first and third Saturdays of the month, Dunkirk Medical Center (10). One-hour session, $60. 410-394-2816.
TRI-COUNTY WEIGHT LOSS SURGERY SUPPORT GROUP
Open to anyone who has had or is considering any type of weight loss surgery. 7 p.m. Wednesday SMECO building, 4415 Crain Hwy., White Plains. Free. Call Hay McClain at 301-645-8894.
TOBACCO-QUITTERS SUPPORT GROUP
Offered by Calvert Memorial Hospital (3). 6-7 p.m. the first Thursday of the month. 410-414-4572.
Chesapeake-Potomac Home Health Agency, 7627 Leonardtown Rd., Hughesville. Free. Call Amber Fowler at 301-274-9000 for dates and time of meetings.
PARKINSON'S SUPPORT GROUP
Open to patients, friends and relatives. Support and education on aspects of the disease. Fourth Saturday of the month, Civista Medical Center (8). Call for times and details. Free.
MENTAL ILLNESS GROUP
* National Alliance for the Mentally Ill meets monthly at Calvert Memorial Hospital (3). Call Jean Doran at 410-535-2746 for time, date and other information.
* Offered by Southern Maryland Hospital Center. 6:30-8:30 p.m. second Tuesday of each month, Colony South Hotel and Conference Center, 7401 Surratts Rd., Clinton. Free. 301-877-4456.
GRIEF SUPPORT GROUP
* Calvert Hospice offers drop-in meetings for county residents grieving the loss of a loved one: noon-1 p.m. Mondays, Smithville United Methodist Church, 10602 Southern Maryland Blvd., Dunkirk; 5:30-7 p.m. Tuesdays and noon-1 p.m. Thursdays, Calvert Hospice, 238 Merrimac Ct., Prince Frederick; and noon-1 p.m. Wednesdays, Olivet United Methodist Church, 13570 Olivet Rd., Lusby. 410-535-0892 or 301-855-1226.
* Offered by Hospice of St. Mary's for people grieving the loss of a loved one. 6:30-8:30 p.m. Nov. 15, Hospice of St. Mary's, 22699 Washington St., Leonardtown. Free. 301-475-6423.
Family members welcome. 5-6 p.m. the second Thursday of the month, Southern Maryland Hospital Center (17). Free.
Calvert Memorial Hospital (3) group meets 6-7:30 p.m. the second Tuesday of the month in the KeepWell Center (ground floor of the hospital). Free. Call Scarlett Schall, 410-535-8210 or 301-855-1012, Ext. 8210. For information on speakers and topics, call 410-414-4670.
Family members welcome. Fridays, Lusby Office Suites, Conference Room 2, 192 Main St., Prince Frederick (across from Lusby Hardware). Free. Call for times at 410-326-6655.
* Meets 6:30-8 p.m. the first Tuesday and third Wednesday of the month, Calvert Memorial Hospital (3). Call Carl Garland at 410-535-4461, Ext. 106.
* Meets 6:30-8 p.m. the third Thursday of the month, Spring Dell Center Inc., 6040 Radio Station Rd., La Plata. 301-932-6196.
* Friends Who Care meets at 6:30 p.m. the first and third Tuesdays of the month, Calvert Medical Office Building, Prince Frederick. Free. Call social worker Joyce Gradle at 410-326-4262.
* Sponsored by Southern Maryland Hospital Center (17). 7:30-8:30 p.m. the third Monday of the month, and 6:30-8:30 p.m. the second Tuesday of the month, Colony South Hotel and Conference Center, 7401 Surratts Rd., Clinton. Free. 301-877-5600.
* 5:30-7 p.m. the first and third Thursdays of the month, Calvert Memorial Hospital Annex (4), Medical Office Building. Free. Call Meghan Toffey, 410-414-4730 or 301-855-1012, Ext. 4730.
* 7-8:30 p.m. Wednesday, St. Mary's Hospital (15). Free. 301-475-6070.
2:30-4:30 p.m. the third Sunday of the month, Southern Maryland Hospital Center (17) library. Free.
* For caregivers of older adults. Supervision of care recipient available on-site during group meeting. 2 p.m. the last Wednesday of the month, Richard R. Clark Senior Center, 1210 E. Charles St., La Plata. Free. 301-934-0128 or 301-870-3388, Ext. 5128.
* Offered by Calvert County Hospice. Available for county residents caring for a loved one who is chronically or terminally ill. 12:30-2 p.m. the second and fourth Tuesdays of the month, at the hospice office, 238 Merrimac Ct., Prince Frederick. Free. 410-535-0892 or 301-855-1226.
* Calvert Memorial Hospital offers this group to survivors and caregivers. Clinical professionals will be available to answer questions and share ideas for improving physical, social and emotional health. 5:30-7 p.m. the first Wednesday of the month, Calvert Memorial Hospital (3). Free. 410-414-4800.
* Southern Maryland Hospital Center support group is open to family members. 5-6 p.m. the fourth Thursday of the month, Colony South Hotel and Conference Center, 7401 Surratts Rd., Clinton. Free. Registration recommended. 301-877-4563.
Group meets 6-8 p.m. the third Wednesday of the month, Calvert Memorial Hospital (3). Call 410-414-4648.
Meets 2-4 p.m. and 7-9 p.m. the third Thursday of the month, Calvert Memorial Hospital (3). For meeting topics and speakers, call the Diabetes Support Group hotline at 410-414-4783.
-- Compiled by BONNIE SMITH
To Submit an Item
Mail: The Washington Post, 100 N. Oak Ave., La Plata, Md. 20646
Details: Items are accepted on a space-available basis from public and nonprofit organizations only and must be received at least 14 days before the second Sunday of the month. Include event name, dates and times, exact address, cost and a publishable contact phone number. For more information, call 301-934-3513 or 301-392-5400.