John Keller 'Jack' Hayes

Real Estate Broker

John Keller "Jack" Hayes, 77, a real estate broker and co-founder of Hayes & Schneider Properties Inc., died of cardiovascular disease Oct. 16 at his home in Bluemont, Va. He was a longtime Arlington resident and moved in 1997 to Bluemont, where he had maintained a home since 1954.

Mr. Hayes was born in St. Petersburg, Fla., and grew up in Minneapolis. He moved to Northern Virginia in about 1940 and graduated from Washington-Lee High School in Arlington in 1946. An Army veteran, he served with the 35th Infantry, 25th Division, during the occupation of Japan after World War II.

He studied business for two years at George Washington University. He had owned and operated Chain Bridge Automotive Service, on the Virginia side of the bridge, and Claremont Automotive Service in Alexandria. He was in the car repair business until 1978.

He became a licensed real estate broker in 1971 and was associated with Curtis Bros. Real Estate in Alexandria and White House Real Estate in Fairfax and Arlington. He managed the Arlington office.

Mr. Hayes was a member of the Northern Virginia Board of Realtors from 1971 to 1996. In 1985, he and a friend, Mitchell Schneider, co-founded Hayes & Schneider Properties Inc. in Arlington. He was president of the company until 1994, when he sold his share. Health reasons forced him to retired in 1996.

In the late 1960s and 1970s, he taught students in the high school division of the Confraternity of Christian Doctrine at Queen of Apostles Church in Alexandria and at St. Ann's Catholic Church in Arlington. He was a board member at the Shenandoah Retreat Country Club in Berryville, Va., a longtime member of the Optimist Club of Arlington and a member of the Edward Douglas White Council of the Knights of Columbus in Arlington.

He ice-skated as a youngster in Minnesota and took up rollerblading after heart surgery in 1992. He was an avid skier and also enjoyed golf, canoeing, woodworking, gardening and birding.

He gave names to the birds near his home, his wife recalled. He often sat on the back porch of the family's country home conversing with his feathered friends, telling stories in his folksy, Midwestern way and predicting the weather.

Survivors include his wife of 53 years, Martha Van Sant Hayes of Bluemont; three children, John Van Sant Hayes of Charlottesville, Mary Ruth Hayes Peel of Round Hill and Martha Suzanne Hayes of Arlington; and a grandson.

Gilbert Lionel Brandon

Air Force Major

Gilbert Lionel Brandon, 80, a retired Air Force major who later worked at Westinghouse Electric Corp. as a senior engineering analyst, died of cancer Oct. 19 at his home in Ocean City.

A native of Falls Church, he graduated from Western High School in 1943. During his school years, he worked in Washington as a Western Union bicycle messenger. On his 18th birthday, he entered the armed services as had his father and two brothers before him.

Serving in the Army during World War II, he saw duty in the Asiatic Pacific theater. He was discharged from the Army with the rank of corporal in 1946, and he worked briefly in Washington while attending George Washington University. He reenlisted in the Air Force in 1947, entered Officer Candidate School and obtained his commission as a second lieutenant.

In the Air Force, he specialized in radio electronics and intelligence. His duty included serving for a year in Korea, where as part of the 6004th Air Intelligence Service Squadron he was one of several experts who went to Kimpo Air Base near Seoul to examine a Russian MiG-25 that had been flown in by a defecting North Korean pilot.

On his return to the United States, he was assigned to the Pentagon with the office of the assistant chief of staff for intelligence for four years. He also attended the University of Maryland and received a bachelor's degree in electrical engineering.

His final duty station was at Griffiss Air Force Base, N.Y. For five years there, he was part of the Rome Air Development Center and involved in research and development of the fledgling AWACS (Airborne Warning and Control System) radar technology.

He retired in 1965 with the rank of major and moved with his family to Laurel. He joined Westinghouse at Friendship Airport -- now Baltimore-Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport -- and continued with the civilian side of the AWACS program until his retirement in 1991.

His marriage to Constance Murray Brandon ended in divorce.

He enjoyed travel, especially to Hawaii; photography, especially panoramas; and family genealogy.

Survivors include his wife of 21 years, Madeline Teaman Brandon of Ocean City; four children from his first marriage, Barry Keane of Seattle, Sally Brandon of Laurel, Holly Brandon of Fort Washington and Bruce Brandon of Laurel; three stepchildren, Brian Teaman and Barbara Teaman, both of Monroeville, Pa., and Terry Teaman of Orlando; nine grandchildren; and five great-grandchildren.

Jack H. Epstein

Personnel Chief

Jack H. Epstein, 85, who directed career development programs for about 32,000 civilian Air Force employees during his tenure with the Defense Department, died of cancer Nov. 6 at his home in Springfield.

Dr. Epstein worked with the Defense Department for 30 years. He was chief of employee and career development for the Directorate of Civilian Personnel Operations at Headquarters Air Force Systems Command at Andrews Air Force Base when he retired in 1977.

He was born in Brooklyn, N.Y., and gave himself a middle initial when he found himself in a classroom with a boy of the same name. "He just picked the letter H," a son said.

He served in World War II and graduated from Brooklyn College. He received a master's degree from Columbia University in guidance and counseling, and a doctorate of education in human resource development from George Washington University in the mid-70s.

He taught high school in New York before moving to Alexandria in 1951 to work for the American Red Cross. He was there for about two years before he joined the Defense Department.

Dr. Epstein did consulting work for various companies and was a volunteer professor at Northern Virginia Community College. He was the founder of Maturals, Mature Adult Learners, a program of free seminars on a variety of topics. On the 20th anniversary of Maturals, the school awarded him a chair with a plaque on it at the Alexandria campus library.

He also led courses to help young people with their resumes.

Dr. Epstein was a member of Beth El Hebrew Congregation in Alexandria and the Jewish War Veterans.

His wife of 55 years, Evelyn Epstein, died in 2001.

Survivors include two sons, Jan Epstein of Alexandria and Dr. Jerrold Epstein of Alexandria; a sister; two grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.

Aileen Anna Robbins

Mental Health Advocate

Aileen Anna Robbins, 77, an advocate for the mentally ill in Loudoun County, died Nov. 9 of cancer at her home in Alexandria.

Mrs. Robbins was born in Melbourne, Australia, and was educated in Australia, New Zealand and England. She was a graduate of the University of Sydney.

She came to the United States in the late 1950s and worked as a nurse in San Francisco and the Panama Canal Zone.

She moved to Loudoun in 1971 and began her work on behalf of the mentally ill. She joined the Loudoun County community services board in 1982 and in 1984 was a founder of the Loudoun chapter of the National Alliance on Mental Illness.

In 1989, she was named citizen of the year by the Eastern Loudoun Times for her activism on behalf of Loudoun's mentally ill and especially for her work in establishing group homes.

After the death of her husband, Mrs. Robbins moved to Alexandria in 1992. She worked at the Registry of Jewish Holocaust Survivors at the U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum and had been a volunteer at the museum since its opening in 1993.

She traveled frequently to Europe and Australia and also made trips to Panama and Africa. She was also known for her warm personality and her ability to make friends easily.

Her marriage to Verner Dale Nicely ended in divorce.

Her second husband, Paul Robbins, whom she married in 1968, died in 1992.

Survivors include two sons from her first marriage, Paul Nicely of Springfield and Gary Joe Nicely of Herndon.