Mary Elizabeth Ryan

GE Employee

Mary Elizabeth Ryan, 72, who did accounting work for General Electric and was a member of St. Mary's Catholic Church in Rockville, died Nov. 9 at the Wilson Health Care Center at Asbury Methodist Village in Gaithersburg. She had lung cancer.

Ms. Ryan spent more than 35 years at GE, part of the time working in the Washington area. She retired in 1993 from the office in Valley Forge, Pa.

She maintained a home in the Washington area for the past 25 years and settled here permanently after retiring. She was a Rockville resident and did volunteer work at her church, where she was also a Eucharistic minister.

She was a former board member and treasurer at the Rockville Senior Center.

Ms. Ryan was born in Troy, N.Y., and raised in Tupper Lake, N.Y. She was a graduate of Northeastern University in Boston, where she also received a master's degree in finance accounting.

Survivors include a brother, Thomas Ryan of Melbourne Beach, Fla.; and two sisters, Kathleen Mikszan of Columbia and Carol Becker of Tupper Lake.

John William Odle

Operations Analyst

John William Odle, 91, who was an operations analyst with the Naval Surface Warfare Center in White Oak and a consultant in mathematics, died Nov. 12 at home in Gaithersburg. He had dysphagia, a swallowing disorder.

Dr. Odle worked at what was then the Naval Surface Weapons Center from 1972 to 1979. After retiring, he was a consultant in mathematics and operations research until 1991.

He was born in Tipton, Ind., and grew up in Detroit. He graduated from the University of Michigan and received a master's degree in mathematics and a doctorate in mathematics in 1940. He was a Phi Beta Kappa. From 1940 to 1945, he was an assistant professor of mathematics at the University of Wisconsin and at Penn State.

During World War II, he was a civilian operations analyst with the Eighth Air Force in England. From 1946 to 1955, he was head of the mathematics division of the Naval Ordnance Test Station in China Lake, Calif. He then served two years as chief operations analyst with the Third Air Force in England. He was a senior consultant with Arthur D. Little of Cambridge, Mass., from 1960 to 1971.

A longtime Bethesda resident, he moved to a Gaithersburg retirement community in 2001.

Dr. Odle was active in the National Association of Retired Federal Employees. He was a member of National Presbyterian Church in Washington and attended Gaithersburg Presbyterian Church.

He was a car enthusiast who did his own repairs.

A daughter, Barbara Odle, died in 1994, and a son, David Odle, died in 1995.

Survivors include his wife of 67 years, Lois Blom Odle of Gaithersburg; a son, John Howard Odle of Canfield, Ohio; four grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.

Dr. Charles Robert Shelton III

Washington Dentist

Charles Robert Shelton III, 87, a Washington dentist for 33 years, died Nov. 3 of congestive heart failure at his home in Solomons Island, Md.

Dr. Shelton, a native Washingtonian, grew up in Bethesda. He was a graduate of Severn School in Severna Park and attended the U.S. Naval Academy. He graduated from Georgetown Dental School in 1943, and during World War II, he served as a Navy officer in the Dental Corps on the U.S.S. Bonhomme Richard.

In 1946, he joined his father's dental practice in Washington. He continued to practice until his retirement to Skidaway Island in Savannah, Ga., in 1979.

He and his wife lived for 22 years in Bethesda, 11 years in Annapolis, 17 years in Savannah and nine years in Solomons Island. They also enjoyed their summer residence in Fenwick Island, Del.

His memberships included Columbia Country Club, Ocean City Light Tackle Club, Ocean City Golf and Yacht Club and Orr-Moore Hunting Club. He was a former member of Temple-Noyes-Cathedral Lodge #32, Almas Shrine Temple and Royal Order of Jesters.

Dr. Shelton enjoyed fishing, hunting and travel. He was an avid golfer until shortly before his death. He was a lifelong Washington Redskins fan and ticket-holder dating back to Griffith Stadium.

Survivors include his wife of 59 years, Mary Elizabeth Shelton of Solomons Island; two children, Charles R. Shelton IV of Grottoes, Va., and Anne Hodges of Annapolis; and two grandsons.

Elizabeth Ann Edge Carter


Elizabeth Ann Edge Carter, 76, a former hospital volunteer, died Nov. 10 from complications of pneumonia at a nursing home in Concord, Mass. She lived in Bethlehem, N.H. From 1956 to 1989, she was a Chevy Chase resident.

Mrs. Carter, who went by Ann, was active in the Junior League, the Foreign Student Service Council and the Acorn Garden Club of Washington. For more than 25 years, she was a volunteer at Sibley Memorial Hospital.

She was born in New York and attended the Potomac School when her father, a British citizen, was stationed in Washington during World War II. She graduated from Rogers Hall School in Lowell, Mass., and from Wellesley College in Cambridge, Mass. In the early 1950s, she lived in England and worked as an executive assistant to the founder of a British organization to promote international understanding.

Mrs. Carter was an accomplished tennis player, horseback rider and skier and traveled extensively throughout the United States and abroad. She was a volunteer organizer, fundraiser and campaigner for Republican political candidates in Maryland and on the national level.

Her husband of 43 years, Harry Tyson Carter, died in 1999.

Survivors include three children, Harry Tyson Carter Jr. of Concord, Elizabeth Carter Clifford of Lebanon, N.H., and Bethlehem, N.H., and Robert Edge Carter of Chevy Chase; and five grandchildren.

Donis Lynne Goodavage

Disc Jockey, Animal Rescue Volunteer

Donis Lynne Goodavage, 56, a former professional disc jockey for weddings and other social events, died Nov. 7 of complications of the flu at her home in Montross, Va.

Mrs. Goodavage was born in Arlington and grew up in Fairfax County. She graduated from Thomas Jefferson High School in 1967 and attended James Madison University.

She worked for the Veterans Administration in the District and in Asheville, N.C., throughout the 1970s and then worked in the private sector in marketing and sales.

At Parents Without Partners, she met a disc jockey who would become her second husband. He taught her how to keep the music going, and she worked as a disc jockey at weddings, parties and other social events throughout the Washington area, including an event on the White House lawn during the Reagan administration.

For several years, she lived in Ocean Pines, Md., where she was active as an animal rescue volunteer. She had been a pet owner since she was very young and had cats, dogs and a beloved horse, Clipper, who lived in a lot behind the house when she was growing up. All the kids in the neighborhood learned to ride the patient steed.

Her first marriage, to Robert Harrison, ended in divorce.

Survivors include her husband of 23 years, Frank Goodavage of Montross; her mother, Mabel Drye of Potomac Falls; a son, Bob Harrison of Richmond; three stepchildren, Doug Goodavage of King George, Va., and Dayna Sager and Dawn Lee, both of Chester, Pa.; a sister, Jeanne Gant of Sterling; two brothers, Bob Drye of Mason Neck and Steve Drye of Lake Anna, Va.; 11 grandchildren; and a great-grandson.

Margaret W. Culhane

Congressional Aide

Margaret W. Culhane, 79, who worked for the federal government, beginning in the old Bureau of Public Works and then moving to Congress in the early 1950s, died Nov. 1 of kidney failure at Holy Cross Hospital in Silver Spring. She was an Alexandria resident.

She was an aide at various times to Sen. Mike Mansfield (D-Mont.), Rep. Tom Foley (D-Wash.), Rep. Hale Boggs ( D-La.) and House Sergeant at Arms Ken Harding. She retired in 1975.

"When she worked for the sergeant at arms," recalled Forrest Fischer, a close friend of her husband's, "she had her '15 minutes of fame' when a Washington Post photographer spotted [her] and ran a photo of her carrying the ornate mace of the House down the steps of the Capitol, en route to bring it to a jeweler for repairs."

Mrs. Culhane was born in Washington and grew up in a frame house her family built on Bunker Hill Road when they moved from Georgetown to Mount Rainier in 1910. She graduated from Mount Rainier High School. She did not finish college until 1992, when she graduated from George Washington University with a bachelor's degree in English.

After retiring, she and her husband traveled in Europe for two years, living for extended periods in Paris and London.

She served as an officer of the Columbian Women, the alumna organization that gives scholarship support to female students at George Washington University.

She also served for six years as a board member of the Parkfairfax Condominium Owners Association in Alexandria, and played an active role in having Parkfairfax registered as a National Landmark and Virginia Landmarks Historical Community.

For several years, she was active in a water aerobics group sponsored by a local health club.

Her death occurred 19 days after the death of her husband, Charles P. Culhane Jr.

Survivors include a brother, Joseph Wilmer of Annapolis.

William A. Simpson


William A. Simpson, 50, a self-employed electrician, died Nov. 11 while driving in Alexandria. His death was attributed to liver disease.

Mr. Simpson was born in Alexandria, attended Bishop Ireton High School and graduated from Hayfield Secondary School. He was an electrician with James R. Harris Electrical Co. from 1977 to 1994. Since 1994, Mr. Simpson operated BAS Electrical Inc., an electrical contracting firm in Alexandria.

He enjoyed bowling and watching sports.

Survivors include his wife of 26 years, Sherry L. Simpson of Alexandria; two sons, Ryan A. Simpson and William D. Simpson, both of Alexandria; his mother, Mary B. Simpson of Manassas; four brothers, George Simpson Jr. of Dale City, Michael Simpson of Jacksonville, Fla., David Simpson of Midland and Paul Simpson of Nokesville; and four sisters, Annie Briscoe and Carol El-Bisi, both of King George, Joanie Lightner of Dale City and Marypat Stocks of St. Augustine, Fla.

Hazel G. Ramey

Currency Examiner

Hazel G. Ramey, 99, a former employee of the U.S. Bureau of Engraving and Printing, died Nov. 6 at the Virginian retirement home in Fairfax City. She had dementia.

Mrs. Ramey was born in Leesburg and moved to Arlington in the 1920s. She worked as a currency examiner at the Bureau of Engraving until her retirement in 1953. She later lived in Falls Church, where she was an assistant residence manager at the Park Towers apartments.

She was a member of Resurrection Lutheran Church in Arlington.

Her husband of 36 years, James F. Ramey Jr., died in 1965.

Survivors include her daughter, Shirley A. FitzGerald of Fairfax; and a granddaughter.