Dorothy J. Murphy
WAC Captain, Volunteer
Dorothy J. Murphy, 88, who served in the Women's Army Corps as head of the Civil Censorship Division of Gen. Douglas MacArthur's allied headquarters in Tokyo from 1945 to 1947, died Oct. 23 of a head injury at Virginia Hospital Center in Arlington.
Mrs. Murphy was among the first women, other than nurses, to serve in the Army. She graduated in the ninth officer candidate class of the Women's Army Auxiliary Corps in Fort Des Moines, Iowa, in December 1942.
She served as an instructor at the Women's Army Corps Training Center at Fort Oglethorpe, Ga., in 1943 and 1944, and attended the Civil Affairs Training School and acquired Japanese language proficiency at the University of Chicago in 1945. She reached the rank of captain.
In Tokyo in 1947, she met and married Capt. Thomas A. Murphy, who was from her hometown of Cleveland and shared her surname.
Mrs. Murphy graduated from Baldwin-Wallace College in Berea, Ohio, in 1938 and received a master's degree in English from what is now Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland in 1941. She taught at the Cuyahoga County Detention Home in Cleveland, before entering the Army.
A resident of Arlington since 1954, Mrs. Murphy was a member of St. Agnes Catholic Church there. She volunteered at St. Coletta School, George Mason University's Center for the Arts, the Powhatan Nursing Home, the American Cancer Society, the former Hospice of Northern Virginia and the Bishop O'Connell Parent Teacher Organization.
She lived for the past seven years at Vinson Hall in McLean. She enjoyed bridge, reading, swimming and daily crossword puzzles. She traveled extensively in the Far East, Europe and the Caribbean.
Her husband died in 1984.
Survivors include three children, Terence Murphy of Fairfax, Patricia Murphy of Virginia Beach and Timothy Murphy of Williamsburg; and five grandchildren.