SQUARE DANCES -- 7:30-9:30 p.m. tomorrow. First, third and fifth Fridays of each month, presented by the Southern Merry-Landers Square Dance Club. John Hanson Middle School, 12350 Vivian Adams Dr., Waldorf. $5.50; $4, members. 301-893-1974.
SQUARE DANCES -- 7 p.m. tomorrow. Regular club square dances presented by the Aqua Squares Dance Club. Southern Community Center, 20 Appeal Lane, Lusby. $5 per person. 410-586-3587 or 301-373-2207.
COUNTRY WESTERN DANCE -- 7:30 p.m.-midnight Saturday. Monthly dance held by the Southern Maryland Country Western Dance Association, with dance lessons available. Smoking is prohibited. $10; members, $8. Brandywine Firehouse, 14201 Brandywine Rd., Brandywine.
THOMAS STONE CHORUS AND JAZZ BAND -- 11 a.m. Tuesday. The high school music groups perform a holiday-themed show. Clark Senior Center, 1210 Charles St., La Plata. Free. 301-934-5423 or 301-870-2015.
NIGHTTIME STORY TIME -- 6:30 p.m. next Thursday. A monthly nighttime story time with songs and games for families with preschoolers. Leonardtown library, 23250 Hollywood Rd., Leonardtown. Free. 301-475-2846.
FALL PRESCHOOL STORY TIMES -- Free program at Charles County public libraries for ages 2-5.
* 10 and 11 a.m., 1:30 p.m. Tuesday. Potomac Branch library, 3225 Ruth B. Swann Dr., Indian Head. 301-375-7375.
* 10 and 11 a.m.,1:30 p.m. Wednesday. P.D. Brown Branch library, 50 Village St., Waldorf. 301-645-2864.
* 10 and 11 a.m., 1:30 p.m. Thursday. Closed on Thanksgiving. La Plata Branch library, 2 Garrett Ave., La Plata. 301-934-9001.
BABY STEPS STORY TIMES -- Free program at St. Mary's County public libraries for ages 2-12 months. www.stmalib.org.
* 9:30 a.m. Tuesday. Charlotte Hall library, 37600 New Market Rd., Charlotte Hall. 301-884-2211.
* 9:15 a.m. Monday. Lexington Park library, 21677 FDR Blvd., Lexington Park. 301-863-8188.
* 10 a.m. Monday. Leonardtown library, 23250 Hollywood Rd., Leonardtown. 301-475-2846.
TODDLER STORY TIMES -- Free program at St. Mary's County public libraries. Music is used to encourage audience participation. Ages 1-21/2 years. 301-475-2846 or www.stmalib.org/kprog.html.
* 10 and 10:30 a.m. Tuesday. Charlotte Hall library, 37600 New Market Rd., Charlotte Hall. 301-884-2211.
* 9:45 and 10:30 a.m. Monday. Lexington Park library, 21677 FDR Blvd., Lexington Park. 301-863-8188.
* 10:30 a.m. Monday and 10 a.m. Wednesday. Leonardtown library, 23250 Hollywood Rd., Leonardtown. 301-475-2846.
PRESCHOOL STORY TIME -- Free program at St. Mary's County public libraries. www.stmalib.org.
* 10 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. Wednesday. Charlotte Hall library, 37600 New Market Rd., Charlotte Hall. 301-884-2211.
* 10:30 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. Wednesday. Leonardtown library, 23250 Hollywood Rd., Leonardtown. 301-475-2846.
* 10:30 a.m. and 1:15 p.m. Thursday. Closed on Thanksgiving. Lexington Park library, 21677 FDR Blvd., Lexington Park. 301-863-8188.
CUDDLE UP AND READ TO ME -- For children 2 and younger, to develop basic language skills. Adult must accompany child. Free. www.calvert.lib.md.us.
* 9:15-9:35 a.m. Tuesday and Wednesday. Prince Frederick library, 30 Duke St., Prince Frederick. 301-855-1862 or 410-535-0291.
* 9:30-9:50 a.m. Tuesday. Fairview library, 8120 Southern Maryland Blvd., Owings. 410-257-2101.
* 9:15-9:35 a.m. Wednesday. Southern library, 20 Appeal Lane, Lusby. 410-326-5289.
* 9:15-9:35 a.m. Wednesday. Twin Beaches library, 3819 Harbor Rd., Chesapeake Beach. 410-257-2411.
2- TO 3-YEAR-OLD STORY TIME -- Designed to improve listening skills and group activity. Children will also make a craft. Free. www.calvert.lib.md.us.
* 9:45-10:15 a.m. Tuesday and Wednesday. Prince Frederick library, 30 Duke St., Prince Frederick. 301-855-1862 or 410-535-0291.
* 10-10:30 a.m. Tuesday. Fairview Branch library, 8120 Southern Maryland Blvd., Owings. 410-257-2101.
* 10-10:30 Tuesday, 10:15-10:45 a.m. and 11-11:30 a.m. Wednesday. Southern Branch library, 20 Appeal Lane, Lusby. 410-326-5289.
* 11-11:30 a.m. Wednesday. Twin Beaches Branch library, 3819 Harbor Rd., Chesapeake Beach. 410-257-2411.
4- TO 5-YEAR-OLD STORY TIME -- Designed with emphasis on skills the child will need to attend school. All sessions held 1-1:45 p.m. Free. www.calvert.lib.md.us.
* Tuesday and Wednesday. Prince Frederick library, 30 Duke St., Prince Frederick. 301-855-1862 or 410-535-0291.
* Tuesday. Fairview Branch library, 8120 Southern Maryland Blvd., Owings. 410-257-2101.
* Tuesday. Southern Branch library, 20 Appeal Lane, Lusby. 410-326-5289.
* Wednesday. Twin Beaches Branch library, 3819 Harbor Rd., Chesapeake Beach. 410-257-2411.
FAMILY STORY TIME -- Free program offered by Calvert County Public Libraries to families with children 5 and younger. Children also make crafts and must be accompanied by an adult. 410-535-0291. www.calvert.lib.md.us.
* 11-11:45 a.m. Tuesday, 9:30-10:15 a.m. Saturday. Fairview Branch library, 8120 Southern Maryland Blvd., Owings. 410-257-2101.
* 10:30-11:15 a.m. Tuesday and Wednesday, 9:30-10:15 a.m. Saturday. Prince Frederick library, 30 Duke St., Prince Frederick. 301-855-1862 or 410-535-0291.
* 10:45-11:30 a.m. Tuesday, 10-10:45 a.m. Saturday. Southern Branch library, 20 Appeal Lane, Lusby. 410-326-5289.
* 10-10:45 a.m. Wednesday, 9:30-10:15 a.m. Saturday. Twin Beaches Branch library, 3819 Harbor Rd., Chesapeake Beach. 410-257-2411.
In the Schools
SUPERINTENDENT'S ART GALLERY -- 8 a.m.-4 p.m. Mondays-Fridays. Displays of St. Mary's County student artwork. St. Mary's County public schools central administration building, 23160 Moakley St., Leonardtown. 301-475-5511, Ext. 112.
"PASSAGES" -- 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday-Friday. Through Wednesday. Roughly 1,550 square feet of fabric was used to make painted panels festooned around the garden. They were completed by more than 500 community members and inspired by Christo's "The Gates," last year's installation in New York's Central Park. Annmarie Garden, 13480 Dowell Rd., Solomons. 410-326-4640 or www.annmariegarden.org.
"SEQUENCES" -- 3:30-7 p.m. Monday, Wednesday and Friday, through Jan. 22. Works by Andrew Wodzianski. Tony Hungerford Memorial Gallery, College of Southern Maryland, La Plata campus, 8730 Mitchell Rd., La Plata. 301-934-7828 or 301-870-3008, Ext. 7828.
CHRISTMAS DOLL AND TRAIN EXHIBIT -- Noon-4 p.m. Wednesday through Sunday; exhibit runs next Thursday through Jan. 8. The museum is filled with antique and character dolls, and the exhibit is accompanied by holiday music. Outside, the museum's Little Red Schoolhouse is converted into an interactive train station. St. Clements Island-Potomac Museum, 38370 Point Breeze Rd., Coltons Point. $3 for adults; $1.50 for children ages 6-18; free for children 5 and younger. 301-769-2222.
"A CELEBRATION OF THE DIVINE FEMININE" -- Exhibits runs through Dec. 31. Gallery open 10 a.m.- 5 p.m. Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays. Works by Lyn Striegel and Tammy Vitale that attempt to project the ineffable mystic quality of women. ArtWorks@7th gallery, 9131 Bay Ave., North Beach. Free. 410-286-5278.
"THE HOLIDAY SHOW" -- Open tomorrow through Dec. 18. Gallery open 11 a.m.-4 p.m. Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays. An all-media show featuring work by Mattawoman Creek Art Center member artists, with demonstrations and activities. An opening reception will be held 11 a.m.-4 p.m. Sunday. Mattawoman Creek Art Center, Smallwood State Park, Route 224, Marbury. Free. 301-743-5159.
CRAZY CORN MAZE -- 11 a.m.-dusk Saturday and Sunday. A corn maze, hayride, farm animals, picnic area and local produce. Weekdays by appointment. Forrest Hall Farm, 39136 Avie Lane, Mechanicsville. $6; children younger than 3, free. 301-884-3086 or www.forresthallfarm.com.
YOGA CLASSES -- 10-11 a.m. Monday, 7:30-8:30 p.m. Tuesday, 9-10 a.m. Wednesday. The ongoing class, led by instructor Jonna Climie, teaches relaxation and strengthening techniques, as well as flexibility exercises, through yoga positions and practices. Civista Women's Health Center, 3510 Old Washington Rd., Waldorf. $8 per session or $30 for four sessions. 888-332-4847.
PETE HURREY -- 7 p.m. Tuesday. The author of "Straight to the Heart" chronicles his work's progression from digital book to publication, discusses his choice of pen name and shares a sample of his work. Prince Frederick library, 30 Duke St., Prince Frederick. Free. 301-855-1862 or 410-535-0291.
LIGHTHOUSE INN THANKSGIVING DINNER -- Noon-3 p.m. today. A free Thanksgiving buffet open to everyone in Calvert, St. Mary's and Charles counties, sponsored by Lighthouse Inn and Smile Inc. Lighthouse Inn, 14636 Solomons Island Rd., Solomons. Reservations are only needed for home delivery or pickup. 410-326-2444. www.lighthouse-inn.com.
THANKSGIVING CHARITY GOLF -- 8 a.m. today, first wave for 18 holes; 11 a.m., second wave for nine holes. Greens and cart fees waived for patrons who contribute nonperishable food and household items for charity. Cash donations will also be accepted. Donations will be given to the St. Mary's County Department of Recreation, Parks and Services' Community Services Division. Wicomico Shores Golf Course, 35794 Aviation Yacht Club Rd., Mechanicsville. Patrons are encouraged to reserve tee times. 301-884-4601 or 301-934-8191.
HOSPICE OF CHARLES COUNTY FESTIVAL OF TREES -- Saturday, Sunday and Monday. Times and prices vary depending on events, which include memorial service, gala and auction, breakfast or lunch with Santa Claus and a seniors luncheon. Waldorf Jaycees Community Center, 3090 Crain Hwy., Waldorf. 301-645-4546, 301-609-8733 or hospiceevents.org/gl/index.php?topic=Festival.
BRIGHTEST BEACON ON THE BAY -- 6 p.m. Sunday. The mayor and Town Council start the holiday season with the official town hall and tree-lighting ceremony. Chesapeake Beach Town Hall, 8200 Bayside Rd., Chesapeake Beach. Free. 410-257-2230.
CHRISTMAS ON THE SQUARE AND ANNUAL TREE LIGHTING -- 5-9 p.m. tomorrow. Holiday entertainment, caroling, sleigh rides, fire truck rides, hay rides, petting zoo, a live Nativity scene, Santa's parade and lighting of the tree in the Square. There will also be a performance by the College of Southern Maryland's Guitar Club. Leonardtown Town Square. Washington Street, Leonardtown. 301-475-9791. Free. www.somd.com/leonardtown.
CALVERT COUNTY FESTIVAL OF TREES -- 6-9 p.m. tomorrow, 9 a.m.-8 p.m. Saturday, 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Sunday. Sponsored by the Friends of the Calvert Hospice with shops offering holiday gifts, art and unique crafts. There is also a festival dinner and auction on tomorrow and a breakfast and lunch with Santa on Saturday for children ages 3-8. Huntingtown High School, 4125 N. Solomons Island Rd., Huntingtown. $4, adults; $2, seniors; $1, children 4-12; free for children 3 and younger. Reservations required for the meals. 410-535-0273, 410-535-0892 or 301-855-1226.
ST. MARY'S COUNTY FESTIVAL OF TREES -- 9 a.m.-9 p.m. tomorrow, 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Saturday, noon-6 p.m. Sunday. A holiday auction of decorated Christmas trees and wreaths. A chance to vote for best tree decorations. Bell Motor Company, 22675 Washington St., Leonardtown. $1 for adults; free for children younger than 12. 301-373-2511.
SILENT ANGEL MEMORIAL TREE LIGHTING CEREMONY -- 6 p.m. Saturday. A holiday illumination ceremony at the memorial for families of homicide victims. Leonardtown Volunteer Fire Department Social Hall, 22733 Lawrence Ave., Leonardtown. Free. 301-475-4200, Ext. 1950.
"THE NUTCRACKER" -- 1 p.m. and 6 p.m. Dec. 4. Southern Maryland symphony orchestra Cosmic joins Ballet Caliente and Ukraine's Donetsk Ballet to present the holiday classic. Huntingtown High School, 4125 N. Solomons Island Rd., Huntingtown. $20 in advance, $25 at the door. 301-373-5277. www.cosmicmusic.org.
CHRISTMAS TREE OF LIFE CEREMONY -- 5:30 p.m. Dec.7. An illumination ceremony with holiday refreshments and festive music. Civista Medical Center, 701 E. Charles St., La Plata. $15 donation to the Civista Health Foundation for a light on the tree to commemorate an individual, business or a community organization. $100 for a special angel ornament that will appear ever year henceforth. The deadline for donations is Dec. 2. The ceremony is free to attend. 301-609-4132.
CANDLELIGHT TOURS OF THE MANSION -- 6-10:30 p.m. Dec. 2 and 3. A dramatic recreation and exploration of the plantation's ties to the Victorian era, topped off with seasonal music, cookies and wassail. Sotterley Plantation, 44300 Sotterley Lane, Hollywood. $12 per person. To reserve, call 301-373-2280 or 800-681-0850.
A SOTTERLEY FAMILY CHRISTMAS -- 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Dec. 3. A holiday celebration, horse-drawn taxi rides, a visit from Santa, Mrs. Claus' Sweete Shoppe, holiday music, crafts, games and more. Sotterley Plantation, 44300 Sotterley Lane, Hollywood.$5. 301-373-2280. www.sotterley.org.
GARDEN IN LIGHTS -- 6-9 p.m. daily. Open Dec. 9 through Jan. 2, weather permitting. Closed Dec. 24. A driving course filled with light sculptures, with themed areas including zoo creatures, an elfish fantasy world, a mock-up Rockefeller Center, recreations of famous paintings and an undersea landscape. Annmarie Garden, 13480 Dowell Rd., Solomons. $5 suggested donation per car nets a season pass for unlimited visits. 410-326-4640. www.annmariegarden.org.
TRI-COUNTY BENEFIT CONCERT -- 6:30 p.m. Dec. 2. Joe and David Norris, Blonde Ambition, 10 oz. The Newtowne Players host Buds, Billie Breslin, Dave Houghton, Catfish Joe, Richard Wagner, Lissie Deere, Dora Bankins-Bush and the College of Southern Maryland Guitar Club in a benefit show for the Tri-County Youth Services Bureau. Three Notch Theatre, 21744 South Coral Dr., Lexington Park. $10. 301-737-5447. www.newtowneplayers.com.
WINTER'S EVE -- 5-8 p.m. Dec. 3. Seasonal decorations will be festooned around the farmhouse and the out-kitchen. Visitors can enjoy hot colonial cranberry tea, cookies, popcorn and participate in caroling by the fire. National Colonial Farm in Piscataway Park, Accokeek. Free. 301-283-2113.
GINGERBREAD HOUSE WORKSHOPS -- Each child who registers to make a gingerbread house should bring a bag of candy for decorations. Free.
* 10-11 a.m. Dec. 3 for first-fourth graders; 2-3 p.m. Dec. 10 for fifth-seventh graders. Prince Frederick branch library, 30 Duke St., Prince Frederick. 301-855-1862 or 410-535-0291.
* 10-11 a.m. Dec. 3 for fifth-seventh graders; 10-11 a.m. Dec. 10 for first-fourth graders. Fairview branch library, 8120 Southern Maryland Blvd., Owings. 410-257-2101.
* 10-11 a.m. Dec. 3 for fifth-seventh graders; 2-3 p.m. Dec. 3 for first-fourth graders. Southern branch library, 20 Appeal Lane, Lusby. 410-326-5289.
* 10-11 a.m. Dec. 10 for fifth-seventh graders; 2-3 p.m. for first-fourth graders. Northeast Community Center, 4075 Gordon Stinnett Ave., Chesapeake Beach. 410-257-2411.
MOUNT CARMEL BENEFIT -- The Restorers of Mount Carmel group sponsors a series of coach trips to benefit the new building fund at Mount Carmel Monastery. 301-645-5203.
* Nov. 30 and Dec. 1. An overnight trip to the Patti Page Christmas Show in Greensburg, Pa. Includes transportation, show, lodging, two breakfasts, two dinners and driver gratuity. Price varies according to lodging arrangements.
VENDORS AND CRAFTERS WANTED -- Groups seeking crafts and vendors for fairs, flea markets, trade fairs and similar events:
* 10 a.m.-3 p.m. Dec.4. Holiday Craft Fair. Local crafters invited to take part in the fair sponsored by the Humane Society of Charles County. $35 to rent 6-by-6-foot space and $8 to rent 2-by-6-foot table. Thomas Stone High School, 3785 Leonardtown Rd., Waldorf. To reserve, call 301-645-1063, Ext. 3 or www.humanesocietycc.org.
* 10 a.m.-3 p.m. Dec. 10. Holiday Craft Bazaar. Crafters sought for annual event sponsored by the Northern Music Boosters. Northern High School, 2950 Chaneyville Rd., Owings. $30 per space. For an application, call 410-257-1519.
In the Region
MAKE A HONEYSUCKLE WREATH -- 2-4 p.m. Saturday. Ages 8 and older gather bundles of the invasive plant and make them into holiday wreaths. Jug Bay Wetlands Sanctuary, 1361 Wrighton Rd., Lothian. $3 for adults; $2 for seniors and under 18. 410-741-9330 or www.jugbay.org.
-- Compiled by MICHAEL TUNISON
To Submit an Item
Mail: Entertainment, Southern Maryland Extra, The Washington Post, 100 N. Oak Ave., La Plata, Md. 20646
Details: Send announcements and photos, noting the date, time, address and cost of the event, along with a phone number. The deadline is 14 days before publication. Events are listed as space permits.