Catherine Snider Buchanan

Executive Assistant

Catherine Snider Buchanan, 64, who worked for a governor who became a senator, and later for former secretary of state Henry A. Kissinger, died of cancer Nov. 24 at the Casey House hospice in Rockville. She was a resident of North Potomac.

Mrs. Buchanan worked for Kissinger for nearly 20 years, starting in 1981. A native of Oklahoma City and graduate of Oklahoma City University, she went to work for Gov. Henry Bellmon (R) in the 1960s and followed him to the U.S. Senate when he was elected in 1968, staying for the duration of his tenure, until 1980.

She enjoyed traveling, especially to the Southwest. She was a fierce competitor and humble champion in chess, her family said.

Survivors include her husband, Michael C. Buchanan of North Potomac; two sons, Michael Coe Buchanan Jr. and Daniel Snider Buchanan, both of North Potomac; three stepchildren, Katherine Buchanan of Alexandria, Douglas Buchanan and Matthew Buchanan, both of Washington; two brothers; and a granddaughter.

Konstantinos Karayianis

Civil Engineer

Konstantinos "Dino" Karayianis, 77, a civil engineer who worked on many landmark projects, died Nov. 20 of cancer at his home in Washington.

Mr. Karayianis was born in Columbus, Ohio, and moved to Washington as a boy. He graduated from Eastern High School in 1946. After serving in the Air Force, he graduated from George Washington University in 1951.

He worked as a civilian surveyor for the Air Force and later as a structural engineer for the Navy's old Bureau of Yards and Docks.

Since 1957, Mr. Karayianis was a self-employed consultant who specialized in steel detailing services and concrete and structural steel construction designs. He worked on the Hirshhorn Museum, the East Wing of the National Gallery of Art, the National Aquarium in Baltimore and Oriole Park at Camden Yards, as well as many bridges, offices and residential buildings. He retired in 2003.

He was a lifelong member of St. Sophia Greek Orthodox Cathedral and served on the parish council and as treasurer. He was a member of the American Legion and was a former post commander. He also was a member of the American Hellenic Education Progressive Association.

He enjoyed golf, working on home projects, traveling and spending time with his grandchildren.

Survivors include his wife of 45 years, Angeline Karayianis of Washington; two children, Eleni Karayianis and John Karayianis, both of Germantown; and three grandchildren.

Dominick Lynch Alberti Sr.

Moving Company Founder

Dominick Lynch Alberti Sr., 74, owner of Alberti Van and Storage Co., died of a subdural hematoma Nov. 24 at Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore. He was a resident of Middlesex Beach, Del.

A fifth-generation Washingtonian, Mr. Alberti was a graduate of Montgomery Blair High School. He served in the Navy from 1953 to 1955, then started the moving company with his wife, one truck and volunteer help. The firm grew into a nationwide enterprise, which he and his brother Tony ran for 40 years.

Mr. Alberti was past president of the Maryland Movers Association and treasurer of the American Movers Conference and served on the Maryland governor's advisory committee for transportation. He was a volunteer firefighter in Silver Spring and past president of the volunteer force.

He was also an avid NASCAR fan and owned and sponsored a car that raced the circuit in Maryland and Virginia. He was on a pit crew for NASCAR's Corvette Series. He retired in 1995 and moved to Delaware.

Survivors include his wife of 52 years, Lauretta Mae Vandercook of Middlesex Beach; six children, Dominick Alberti of Lexington, Va., Lauren Alberti of Bethany Beach, Del., Lynette Bill of Hollywood, Md., Leslie Alberti of Bronxville, N.Y., Louisa Stack of Damascus and David Alberti of Charleston; a brother, Louis Alberti of Frederick; a sister, Mary Angela Brennan of Hollywood, Fla.; and eight grandchildren.

Betty Jane Hughes

Church Member, Square-Dancer

Betty Jane Hughes, 81, a longtime church member, died Nov. 25 of pneumonia at Montgomery General Hospital. She lived at Leisure World in Silver Spring.

Mrs. Hughes had lived in the Washington area since 1950, many of those years in Rockville. She was a member of Church of Christ at Manor Woods in Rockville. Her husband said she was well known in her church for helping people at times of illness or personal need.

Mrs. Hughes was born in Detroit and worked as a secretary at the Packard Motor Car Co. before moving to Rockville.

She and her husband enjoyed square dancing and belonged to several square-dancing organizations.

Survivors include her husband of 57 years, David C. Hughes of Silver Spring; three children, Mark S. Hughes of Nashville, Kirk D. Hughes of Silver Spring and Lynn S. Powell of Harrisonburg, Va.; and a sister.

Anthony Salvi Travaglini


Anthony Salvi Travaglini, 73, a Washington optician for almost 50 years, died of a heart attack Nov. 22 in his Wheaton home.

Mr. Travaglini worked for most of his career for Teunis Opticians, but he also worked three jobs for a dozen years to provide for his family. In retirement, he filled in at a number of Washington optical shops.

Born in Rochester, N.Y., Mr. Travaglini served in the Navy from 1950 to 1954. He was stationed in Washington and remained here after his discharge.

Survivors include his wife, Alice Travaglini of Wheaton; two children, Mark Travaglini and Audrey Travaglini, both of Adelphi; and three grandchildren.

Mike Osmolovsky

Software Engineer

Mike Osmolovsky, 45, a software engineer who once worked on the space shuttle, died Nov. 24 of cancer at his home in Silver Spring.

Mr. Osmolovsky was born in Washington and grew up in Florida, Arizona and Colorado, as well as in Bethesda. He graduated from Walt Whitman High School in 1978. He received a bachelor's degree in chemical engineering from the University of Maryland in 1982 and a second bachelor's degree, in electrical engineering, in 1985 from Ohio University.

He was an officer in the Air Force from 1983 to 1989 and worked as a payload specialist and engineer on the space shuttle program in California. He left the Air Force with the rank of captain.

He worked at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, Calif., from 1989 to 1994. He then moved to Silver Spring and worked as an independent software engineer for several years under contract to NASA, the Defense Department, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration and other agencies.

From 2000 until his death, Mr. Osmolovsky was a software engineer for Virtual Technology Corp. in Alexandria.

Survivors include his wife of 22 years, Debbie Osmolovsky of Silver Spring; a daughter, Michele Osmolovsky of Silver Spring; his mother, E. Joan McCoy, and stepfather, Paul J. McCoy, both of Wilkes-Barre, Pa.; his stepmother, Sharon Osmolovsky of Kensington; and a brother.

Thomas Theodore Ernst

Xerox Account Executive

Thomas Theodore Ernst, 79, an account executive with the Xerox Corp., died of a heart attack Nov. 23 at his home in Bethesda.

Mr. Ernst had lived in the Washington area since 1961. He had the Xerox accounts for the White House, General Services Administration and Department of Energy and retired in 1981.

He was born in Salamanca, N.Y., and served in the Army in the Philippines during World War II. He graduated from Niagara University in 1951.

He worked for the Underwood Corp. in Buffalo before joining Xerox in 1956. He was transferred to Washington five years later.

Mr. Ernst was a member of St. Jane Frances de Chantal Catholic Church in Bethesda. He was also a member of the American Legion, Knights of Columbus and Elks Club.

He was an avid golfer and an accomplished pianist and enjoyed spending time with his family at his vacation home on the Outer Banks of North Carolina.

Survivors include his wife of 52 years, Cecille Nolder Ernst of Bethesda; six children, Kathleen Ernst Mullally, Thomas Ernst and Ann Murray, all of Silver Spring, Margaret Durkin of Bethesda, Mark Ernst and William Ernst, both of Kitty Hawk, N.C.; and 13 grandchildren.