One man was shot and two Fairfax County police officers were injured yesterday during an incident that started as a traffic stop near Tysons Corner mall and ended in an evening rush-hour police pursuit that wound around the Capital Beltway to Silver Spring, police said.

Late last night, three suspects had been taken into custody after their car struck at least one other vehicle in the Woodside neighborhood of Montgomery County. But the fourth suspect, a woman who was believed to be barefoot, escaped from police by running down a street adjacent to a wooded park, police said.

The incident began shortly before 7 p.m., when plainclothes Fairfax County officers in an anti-shoplifting unit noticed several shoppers at the mall whom they suspected of criminal activity, said Officer Shelley Broderick, a police spokeswoman. Officers followed the shoppers outside and stopped their car, a gray Honda Civic, on Gallows Road near Route 7, she said.

Two officers received minor injuries during the traffic stop, but Broderick would not say how. The officers were not shot, she said. They were taken to a local hospital for evaluation.

At least one officer fired shots during the melee, and a man was struck. The other three occupants of the car were women.

The Honda fled onto the inner loop of the Beltway, with Fairfax County police in pursuit.

After traveling about 15 miles on the Beltway during evening rush, the Honda headed south on Colesville Road in Montgomery County, and Montgomery police officers joined the chase. The pursuit ended when the Honda struck a vehicle near Dale Drive, authorities said.

Two women were taken into custody; the man was taken to a hospital with a gunshot wound, said Officer Sonia Pruitt, a Montgomery County police spokeswoman. His condition was not immediately known. The third woman ran down a street alongside Sligo Creek Park.

"Three or four cops say, 'Where is she? Where is she?' '' a witness told WRC-TV (Channel 4). The woman remained at large late last night, and a two-block stretch of Colesville Road was closed to northbound traffic.

Police examine the gray, bloodstained car that led police on the chase from Fairfax to Silver Spring.