Ethel Stephenson Briley

Teacher, Volunteer

Ethel Stephenson Briley, 90, a former teacher, social worker and volunteer, died Nov. 12 at her home in Alexandria. She had dementia.

She was born in Willow Spring, N.C., and graduated in 1941 from East Carolina Teachers College (now East Carolina University) in Greenville, N.C. She taught in Ash, N.C., and lived in Wilmington before marrying and moving to Raleigh in 1944. There, she worked at Wachovia Bank and taught fifth and sixth grades for eight years. She retired from teaching in 1956.

Over the next 10 years, Mrs. Briley lived in Manila and in Karachi, Pakistan, with her husband, who was a Foreign Service officer with the U.S. Agency for International Development. Her social work involved assisting programs that fed children and helped the poor.

After returning to the United States in 1966, the family lived for two years in Charlottesville and then moved to the Villamay community of Alexandria. In her neighborhood, she collected money for the American Heart Association and the American Cancer Society. She also was active at First Christian Church of Alexandria and was a member of the Villamay Community Association.

Mrs. Briley belonged to the National Association of Retired Federal Employees and was a charter member of the World War II Memorial Society. She was a member of the North Carolina State College Women's Club.

She was skilled at cooking, sewing, tatting, crocheting and penmanship.

Her husband, Frank Elliott Briley, whom she married in 1944, died in 1975.

Survivors include two daughters, Sharon Whitehouse of Bethesda and Betsy Pavlovich of Orlando; two sisters; and six grandchildren.

Lemmuel LeRoy Hill Jr.


Lemmuel LeRoy Hill Jr., 72, a physicist who retired in 1989 after six years as technical director of the Naval Surface Weapons Center, died of multiple myeloma Nov. 25 at Doctors Community Hospital in Lanham. He lived in Bowie.

For the past eight years, Dr. Hill had participated in support programs of the International Myeloma Foundation to educate patients and caregivers about multiple myeloma, a bone marrow-based cancer.

Dr. Hill was born in Ithaca, N.Y., son of an entomologist who studied farm crops along the East Coast. He was a high school dropout and joined the Navy in 1950 at 17. He served more than four years, mostly as a sonar technician. He obtained a GED while in the Navy and later graduated with a degree in physics from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute. He received a doctorate in theoretical nuclear physics from Catholic University in Washington in 1967.

By then, he was working at the Naval Ordnance Laboratory at White Oak, conducting experimental aero-physics. In the 1970s, he rose to leadership positions in the organization's nuclear physics laboratory, physics research division and underwater weapons department.

From 1980 to 1983, he was technical director of the Office of Naval Technology.

In retirement, he worked eight years for the Institute for Defense Analyses as director of its science and technology division.

His professional honors include the Distinguished Civilian Service Award, the Presidential Meritorious Executive Rank Award, the Superior Civilian Service Award and the Meritorious Civilian Service Award.

He was a member of the Sigma Xi scientific research society.

Survivors include his wife of 45 years, Sue Hill of Bowie; four children, Doug Hill of Upper Marlboro, Lee Hill of Rutherfordton, N.C., Barry Hill of Cavetown, Md., and Ann Hill of Delmar, Md.; a brother; and three grandchildren.

Robert N. Hutchison

Financial Adviser

Robert N. Hutchison, 72, a native Washingtonian who spent 35 years in the brokerage business before retiring in 1995, died of prostate cancer Nov. 27 at his home in Bethesda.

Mr. Hutchison was a 1951 graduate of Gonzaga College High School and a member of its 1949 championship football team.

He went on to graduate from the University of Notre Dame, where he was a play-by-play sports announcer for WNDU in South Bend, Ind.

Mr. Hutchison returned to Washington in 1955 and began a career in the stock-brokerage trade with the firm Francis I. DuPont. A few years later, he was president of the Notre Dame Club of Washington and the Uptown Jaycees.

In 1969, he moved to Pittsburgh to manage a brokerage office as a vice president for Bache Halsey Stuart, which later became Prudential Securities. He later managed the Pittsburgh office of a Philadelphia-based firm before retiring to the Washington area in 1995.

He was past president of the Washington, Maryland and Virginia Notre Dame Club and a member of the Gonzaga Hall of Fame and Congressional Country Club.

Survivors include his wife of 50 years, Joan Gaine Hutchison of Bethesda; five children, Bob Hutchison of San Carlos, Calif., Mark Hutchison of Sparta, N.J., Tim Hutchison of Gibsonia, Pa., Kerry Lecker of Summit, N.J., and Barry Hutchison of Alexandria; and 15 grandchildren.

Roman V. Marynowych

Radio, TV Broadcaster

Roman V. Marynowych, 85, a broadcaster who produced and hosted "The Ukrainian Melody Hour" radio and television shows, died Nov. 10 in a hotel room in Bridgewater, N.J. The New Jersey Northern Regional Medical Examiner's Office is investigating the cause of death. He was a resident of Bridgewater and Washington.

For 50 years, Mr. Marynowych hosted the award-winning program, which aired in New York, Chicago and Philadelphia as well as in Washington. The weekly radio program aired locally in the 1960s on WGTS, a Takoma Park station. Television specials aired occasionally on WNVC, Channel 56.

The programs, which Mr. Marynowych also wrote, featured Ukrainian and Ukrainian American performers, served as a forum for fundraising and a center for news from the homeland.

Born in Lubachiv, Ukraine, Mr. Marynowych spent his early years working as a sportswriter. He studied voice and worked in western Europe as a broadcaster and as an employee of the Boy Scouts. He immigrated to the United States in 1950 and continued working for the Boy Scouts in New York and New Jersey. He was also a librarian for the public library in Union, N.J., and retired in 1991.

He lived part time in Washington since 1964.

Survivors include his wife, Odie Marynowych, and three children, Roman Marynowych, Paul Marynowych and Alexandra Marynowych, all of Washington.

Ethel Briley raised money for causes and was active in her church.