Dorothy E. Hughes

Educator, Activist

Dorothy E. Hughes, 78, an educator and activist who taught high school mathematics in the D.C. public schools for many years, died of a stroke Nov. 6 at a nursing home in Montvale, Va.

Mrs. Hughes, known as an innovative and energetic teacher, taught at what was then Woodson Junior High School and then at Ballou Senior High School. She retired in 1980.

She was born Dorothy Ella Mae Coleman in Lynchburg, Va., and moved to Washington with her family in the mid-1930s. She graduated from Cardozo High School in 1945 and was hired by the federal government, eventually working as a mathematician for the Army Map Service.

She attended D.C. Teachers College and received a bachelor's degree in mathematics from Howard University. During the late 1950s and 1960s, she was active in the civil rights movement.

Several years before her retirement, Mrs. Hughes began studying piano for the first time under J. Nelson Logan and became a proficient player before a stroke in 1981.

She was a natural athlete who enjoyed bicycling, and she started indoor roller skating lessons after she turned 50. She participated in local figure skating competitions.

In 1986, Mrs. Hughes moved back to Lynchburg to be closer to her aging father. She opened in her home a tutoring service called the Mathematics Workshop. She also started an after-school tutoring program at the church she attended.

A life-long learner, she continued to take math and music courses at several colleges, including Randolph-Macon Woman's College, where she sang with the chorus. She also worked as an adjunct instructor tutoring students in math at Central Virginia Community College.

In Lynchburg, Mrs. Hughes often spoke out against discrimination against the black children who attended the public schools, the disparity in sentencing between white and black offenders by the local courts, and jail crowding.

Her marriage to Robert Hughes ended in divorce.

Survivors include three sisters, Elsie Crockett of Victorville, Calif., Harriett Alexander of Hyattsville and Alma Hart of Ocala, Fla.; and a brother, Burrill Hart of Woodbridge.

Yvonne Tucker

Defense Department Analyst

Yvonne Tucker, 66, a retired legislative analyst in the office of the Army chief of staff, died Dec. 3 at her son's home in Lusby. She had complications from hypertension and colitis. She lived in Alexandria for many years.

Ms. Tucker came to the Washington area in 1961 and worked as a secretary with the Army's Office of the Chief of Legislative Liaison. She lived in Europe from 1968 to 1971.

When she returned to the Washington area in 1972, she worked as a congressional affairs specialist in the office of the Army's legal adviser. In 1979, she joined the Special Actions Branch of the Army's Office of the Chief of Legislative Liaison and ultimately became deputy branch chief.

In 1990, she became congressional actions analyst in the office of the Army chief of staff. At her retirement in 1996, she was recognized with a tribute in the Congressional Record.

Ms. Tucker was born in Erick, Okla., and grew up in Waldron, Ark. She attended nursing school in Arkansas.

Her marriage to James Francis Tucker Jr. ended in divorce.

Survivors include two children, Gwendolyn Marie Shoemaker and Terrence Leo Tucker, both of Lusby; and one granddaughter.

Littman 'Dan' Danziger

Music Store Owner

Littman "Dan" Danziger, 94, who owned a Washington record store for nearly 40 years, died Nov. 10 at Carriage Hill nursing home in Bethesda. He had Alzheimer's disease.

Mr. Danziger came to Washington in the 1930s to work for the government. He received a bachelor's degree in economics from George Washington University and served as a Navy officer during World War II.

In 1947, he bought a record store, the Disc Shop, on Connecticut Avenue near Dupont Circle. He later moved the store to the corner of Connecticut and Florida avenues, where Mr. Danziger operated the shop until he retired in 1985.

The store, known for its large inventory of jazz, classical and international music, closed in 1995.

Mr. Danziger was born in Sosno, Poland, and came to the United States as a boy. He grew up in Houston and graduated from the Houston Law School, now part of the University of Houston.

When he passed the bar exam at 19, his family said, he was lauded by the governor of Texas and the local press as the youngest person ever to be licensed to practice law in Texas. After he moved to Washington, he no longer practiced law.

Mr. Danziger enjoyed playing the violin and was a devotee of classical music.

He taught Sunday school at the Adas Israel congregation in Washington, and did volunteer work for many charities and other organizations, including the Zionist Organization of America. He also helped raise funds for Israel.

His wife of 60 years, Jeannette Naiman Danziger, died in 1998.

Survivors include two sons, Paul Danziger of Rockville and Arnold Danziger of North Bethesda; and two grandchildren.

Louise Unsinn Robb

NIH Employee

Louise Unsinn Robb, 77, a retired director of research grants at the National Institutes of Health, died of heart disease Nov. 9 at Washington Hospital Center.

Ms. Robb was born in Washington and attended Immaculata High School. She went to work for the federal government in the mid-1940s, serving first with the Military Sea Transportation Service and then with the Air Force Office of the Surgeon General.

She spent most of her federal career at NIH, leading the department of research grants until her retirement in the mid-1980s. She then consulted for the Maryland Advanced Development Laboratory of the University Research Foundation and for Market Research Inc.'s political analysis division.

She served seven terms on the board of her condominium association at the Forum, in Rockville. She enjoyed world travel.

Her marriage to Robert K. "Rusty" Robb ended in divorce.

Survivors include a brother.

Madeleine 'Masse' Gallant

Secretary, Bridge Player

Madeleine "Masse" Gallant, 87, a bridge enthusiast and retired secretary, died of cancer Nov. 10 at Brooke Grove Rehabilitation and Nursing Center in Sandy Spring.

Mrs. Gallant was partnership chairman of the Washington Bridge League for many years. She was director of many bridge clubs, played in regional and national tournaments and accumulated more than 2,200 master bridge points.

She was born in Gonic, N.H., and graduated from Bryant College in Rhode Island with a degree in secretarial business.

She moved to Washington in 1938 to work as a secretary at the National Archives. She worked for a number of organizations while raising her family. She retired from CNA insurance company in 1975 after 15 years there.

She was a member of St. Bernadette's Catholic Church in Silver Spring and enjoyed rooting at Washington Redskins games, campaigning for Democrats and volunteering to collect money for local charities.

Survivors include her husband of 65 years, Wayne W. Gallant of Silver Spring; four children, Richard W. Gallant of Newmarket, N.H., Linda Gallant Cookson of Fort Worth, Thomas K. Gallant of Silver Spring and William B. Gallant of Irving, Tex.; and three grandchildren.

Mildred Glick White

Administrative Assistant

Mildred Glick White, 82, an administrative assistant at military agencies, died Nov. 13 of complications of pulmonary edema at Fauquier Hospital. She lived with her son in Warrenton.

Mrs. White, a sixth-generation Washingtonian, graduated from McKinley Technical High School in 1941. She was a member of the girls' basketball team and the rifle club.

After high school, she worked for nine years at the Washington Star as a typesetter. In the 1950s, she worked in the classified advertising section of the Alexandria Gazette. She became administrative assistant to the adjutant at Davison Army Airfield at Fort Belvoir in the early 1960s. She later worked at an Army officers personnel records center in Alexandria until her retirement in 1983.

She lived in the District until 1950, when she moved to Fairfax County. In retirement, she was the resident manager of apartment buildings in Alexandria and later in Annandale. She lived at the Little River Glen retirement community in Fairfax from 1993 to 2003.

A longtime fan of the Washington Redskins, Mrs. White adorned her house with Redskins memorabilia. She also enjoyed reading and collecting videos of classic movies.

Her marriage to Edward J. White ended in divorce.

Survivors include two children, Kerry Edward White of Warrenton and Nancy White Wolford of Burke; six grandchildren; and one great-grandson.

Dorothy P. Cell

Secretary, Club Member

Dorothy P. Cell, 83, a former secretary who was a member of several clubs, died Dec. 3 of cancer at her home in Bethesda.

Mrs. Cell was born in Plainfield, N.J., and graduated from Skidmore College in New York. She moved to Bethesda in 1957 after living in Pasadena, Calif., Westfield, N.J., and Chappaqua, N.Y.

She had worked as a secretary for Massachusetts Mutual Life Insurance Co., Woodfield Construction Co. and Home Life Insurance Co., all in the Washington area.

She was a member of Metropolitan Memorial United Methodist Church in Washington. She was an active member of the Daughters of the American Revolution, the National Society of Magna Charta Dames and the General Society of Mayflower Descendants. She was a member of the Springfield Garden Club in Bethesda.

She attended art classes and enjoyed painting. She collected rocks and was interested in travel and genealogy.

Survivors include her husband of 57 years, Robert S. Cell of Bethesda; two sons, David P. Cell of Bethesda and Charles L. Cell of Long Grove, Iowa; and three grandchildren.

Joseph A. Farrell III

Association President

Joseph A. Farrell III, 76, president of a maritime trade association and a former Senate chief of staff, died Nov. 24 of complications of pneumonia at his home in Santa Rosa, Calif.

From 1968 to 1977, Mr. Farrell was chief of staff to Sen. Charles H. Percy (R-Ill.) and managed Percy's reelection campaign in 1972. After leaving Capitol Hill, Mr. Farrell served as vice president of government relations for the Pullman Corp. from 1977 to 1983.

He then became president of the American Waterways Operators, the national trade association for the tugboat, towboat and barge industry.

Mr. Farrell was credited with reviving the association and raising its profile in Washington. He played a key role in lobbying for passage of the Inland Waterways Trust Fund in 1978, which helped finance construction of canals and other waterways. He retired in 1994.

Mr. Farrell was born in Long Beach, Calif. As the son of a Navy officer, he grew up in China, Hawaii and the United States. He was a 1952 graduate of the U.S. Naval Academy.

He was executive officer of the nuclear submarine USS Woodrow Wilson and was chief engineer of the USS Seadragon, a nuclear-powered submarine that went under the North Pole in 1960.

After leaving the Navy in 1964 with the rank of lieutenant commander, he joined the Peace Corps and directed operations in Honduras for two years before coming to Washington, where he led the Peace Corps selection office from 1966 to 1968.

He lived on Capitol Hill and later in McLean before moving to California about 10 years ago.

His marriages to Linda Farrell and Claudia Farrell ended in divorce.

A daughter from his first marriage, Maureen Farrell Ross, died in 1983.

Survivors include his wife of 21 years, Carolyn Randall Farrell of Santa Rosa; their son, Joe Farrell of Santa Rosa; six children from his first marriage, Monica Rawles of Richmond, Kevin Farrell and Dennis Farrell, both of Ellicott City, Stephen Farrell of Redwood City, Calif., Kathy Jordan of Alexandria and Linda Townsend of Westborough, Mass.; a son from his second marriage, Michael Farrell of Hoboken, N.J.; and 14 grandchildren.

Linda Tressa Barker

State Department Worker

Linda Tressa Barker, 52, who had worked for more than 20 years at the State Department, died Nov. 26 of gastric cancer at her home in Warrenton.

Mrs. Barker was born in Republic, Pa., and came to Washington in 1971. She worked for the Voice of America for several years before working at the Egyptian Embassy as a secretary in the late 1970s and early 1980s.

Since the early 1980s, she had worked at the State Department, primarily as a program manager.

She lived in Washington and Burke before moving to Warrenton two years ago.

Survivors include her husband of eight years, Jerry Barker of Warrenton; her mother, Mary Tressa of Elizabeth, Ill.; two brothers; and two sisters.