the district

Sentence in Tavern Killings The last of the three surviving defendants in the 2003 triple murder at Colonel Brooks' Tavern in Northeast Washington was sentenced yesterday to 30 years in prison.

Joel A. Smith, who pleaded guilty to three counts of second-degree murder in September 2004, was one of four people implicated in the killings of three employees, who were shot execution-style during a holdup.

The ringleader, David A. Wright, a former tavern employee, killed himself as police closed in after Smith and the two others had been arrested.

Smith and Tyree S. Bunn pleaded guilty to murder charges. Bunn was sentenced to 24 years in prison. The third defendant, Rodman J. Durham, was convicted of first-degree murder in June after a trial. He was sentenced in August to 75 years in prison.

White House Fence Jumper Chelsea Clinton was the preoccupation of an Arkansas man who was arrested after he jumped a fence onto the grounds of the White House, according to a preliminary psychological assessment.

A court-ordered report from the D.C. Department of Mental Health said Shawn Cox, 29, of Mammoth Spring, believed that Chelsea Clinton still lived at the White House and that he was destined to marry her.

Clinton is the daughter of former president Bill Clinton and Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton (D-N.Y.) and lived at the White House from 1993 to 2001, during her father's two terms as president.

Cox was arrested Sunday at the White House after he scaled the fence separating the mansion's North Lawn from public sidewalks.

Hospitalization of Mother A D.C. psychologist has concluded that a woman charged with killing her 6-year-old son in July no longer needs to be at St. Elizabeths, the city's psychiatric hospital.

The hospital had already found Julia Barber competent to stand trial and, in a letter this week to D.C. Superior Court, said she does not have to be there to be treated for depression.

Barber has been at the hospital since July 19, a day after the body of her son, Donmiguel Wilson Jr., was found in the family's Southeast Washington apartment. At her attorney's request, Barber was placed on a suicide watch.

Compiled from reports by staff writers and the Associated Press.