Anne Thurber Loud Shultz VolunteerAnne Thurber Loud Shultz, 83, a longtime volunteer at the National Zoo and a board member of the Washington YWCA, died Feb. 13 after a heart attack at the Covington retirement home in Aliso Viejo, Calif., where she lived. She also had cancer.

Mrs. Shultz lived in Washington most of her life, volunteering at the zoo for 40 years. She was a past board member of the zoo, as well as the YWCA, and she volunteered as a mentor for senior girls at Woodrow Wilson High School. She also enjoyed the Washington Opera.

She was born in Boston and studied at Pomona College in California, before joining the WAVES during World War II and serving as a hospital corpsman. After the war, she graduated from Smith College in Northampton, Mass. She married in 1949 and settled in Washington, where her husband, Dr. Carl Swan Shultz, was an assistant surgeon general in the Public Health Service. He died in 1977.

Mrs. Shultz moved to California four years ago.

Survivors include two children, Anne Marina Shultz of Pacifica, Calif., and John Peter Shultz of Seattle; and her sister, Jane Hummer of Laguna Nigel, Calif.

Johanna Franchetti Mardirosian Museum PlannerJohanna Franchetti Mardirosian, 68, who worked with her husband in their architectural firm, died of complications of multiple sclerosis Feb. 10 at her home in McLean.

Mrs. Mardirosian did research and planning for client museums of the Potomac Group architectural firm. She worked on interactive projects for the Museum of Westward Expansion in St. Louis, the National Visitor Bicentennial project at Union Station, the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum in Tucson and the Virginia Living Museum in Newport News.

She was born in Munich less than a month after Kristallnacht, the daughter of an American mother and an Italian Jewish father, the composer Arnoldo Franchetti. The family lived in hiding in Sweden and in northern Italy during World War II. After moving to the United States in 1948, she played concert piano and attended Smith College and the University of Connecticut. She spoke five languages: Swedish, Italian, German, English and Ladin, a Romance language spoken in the Dolomite mountains in Italy.

She married in 1960 and moved to the Washington area in 1967.

Mrs. Mardirosian, who was semi-retired, enjoyed reading, concertgoing and writing letters. She wrote a memoir based on her war experiences, her mother's journals and her early years in the United States.

Survivors include her husband of 46 years, Aram Mardirosian of McLean; three children, Amanda McCarthy of Pacific Palisades, Calif., John Mardirosian of Greystones, Ireland and Katharine Mardirosian of McLean; and seven grandchildren.

Adria K. Law Church MemberAdria Kellogg Law, 94, an active member of Fairfax Presbyterian Church and until this fall an avid bridge player, golfer and bowler, died of congestive heart failure Feb. 16 at Inova Fairfax Hospital.

At Fairfax Presbyterian, she was a Sunday school teacher and a member of the flower committee and women's ministries.

Mrs. Law, who had lived in Fairfax since 1959, was born in New Canaan, Conn., and was a 1934 graduate of Hollins College in Roanoke.

In 1937, she married Edwin Augustus Law, a Marine Corps officer who later retired as a colonel. Over the next 20 years, she lived in a number of places, including Hawaii, California and North Carolina. The couple divorced in 1974.

Survivors include three children, Caroline Law Miller of Portsmouth, R.I., Robert McIver Law of Towson, Md., and David Holbrook Law of Massanutten, Va.; eight grandchildren; and 10 great-grandchildren.

David Fredlund CartographerDavid Fredlund, 73, a cartographer who retired in 1988 after 37 years with the Defense Mapping Agency, died Feb. 9 at his home in Rockville. He had Parkinson's disease.

At the end of his career, Mr. Fredlund was a program manager assigned to the agency's NATO desk with responsibilities for international mapping, charting and geodetic surveys.

He received an Outstanding Service Award from the agency.

Mr. Fredlund was born in Washington and grew up there and in Kansas City, Kan. He graduated from Western High School and George Washington University.

He served in the Coast Guard as a young man, and in 1980, he attended the Air War College in Montgomery, Ala.

He was a Boy Scout master with Rockville troops 447 and 1445 and a volunteer with the American Heart Association.

Survivors include his wife of 52 years, Norma Fredlund of Rockville; two children, Mark Fredlund of Lothian and Chrissy DeGennaro of Ocean City, N.J.; two brothers; a sister; and four grandchildren.

Etta Weaver Richwine Volunteer, Real Estate AgentEtta Weaver Richwine, 98, a real estate agent, volunteer and past District of Columbia Mother of the Year, died of cardio-respiratory failure Feb. 15 at Charles County Nursing and Rehabilitation Center in La Plata.

Mrs. Richwine, a resident of Washington for 84 years, devoted most of her life to family and volunteer work. She became a real estate agent in her late sixties, working at Reuters Inc., Begg Long and Foster, and WC & AN Miller until she retired in her eighties.

She was born in Madison County, Va., and moved to Washington at age 12. She graduated from Central High School in 1928 and was a director at the Chevy Chase Playground while working her way through George Washington University, where she graduated in 1936. She married in a double wedding ceremony with her sister that year.

Mrs. Richwine was a member of the Women's Board of George Washington University Hospital from 1939 to 1999, serving from 1961 to 1963 as its president. She was director of the Florence Crittenton Bazaar, which raised funds for the home for unwed mothers. In 1970, American Mothers Inc. selected her as its District of Columbia Mother of the Year. She was a member of the Sigma Kappa Sorority and served on the board of the Washington Club.

She was also a member of PEO International, the Charles County Garden Club and Chevy Chase Presbyterian Church, as well as Columbia Country Club, the DeLaBrooke Hunt Club and Hawthorne County Club.

Her interest in the environment and horticulture led her and her late husband to plant native and rare species on their tobacco farm on the Wicomico River in Charles County.

Her husband of 40 years, Dr. Barton Richwine, died in 1976.

Survivors include four children, Barton Richwine Jr. of McLean, Susan Richwine Carter of Annapolis, Ann Richwine Draper of McLean and Peter Richwine of Annapolis; eight grandchildren; and 11 great-grandchildren.

Robert Aulthouse Radcliffe Stationary EngineerRobert Aulthouse Radcliffe Jr., 57, an engineer who oversaw heating, air-conditioning, refrigeration and ventilation systems at institutions around Washington, died of a brain tumor Feb. 14 at his home in Sterling.

Mr. Radcliffe worked most recently at the National Foreign Affairs Training Center and the World Bank. For most of his life, he worked two jobs at a time, his family said.

He was born in Norfolk and grew up in Philadelphia and Falls Church. He graduated from Falls Church High School and attended Old Dominion University before joining the Army. He was stationed in Alaska and received a certification in refrigeration from the Army Corps of Engineers.

After his discharge, Mr. Radcliffe returned to Northern Virginia. He worked as chief engineer at Capitol Hill Hospital from 1975 to 1989 and at the Warner Theater and Manulife Real Estate Co. from 1991 to 2004.

He enjoyed watching classic black-and-white films and old westerns, working around the house, fishing on his boat and riding his motorcycle with his wife.

Survivors include his wife of 31 years, Joyce Radcliffe of Sterling; three children, Arlee Ann Harris of Ashburn, Nathan Aulthouse Radcliffe of Leesburg and Eric Jo Radcliffe of Herndon; his mother, Nancy Ann Radcliffe of Fairfax; two sisters, Carol Benedict of Sterling and Donna Johnson of Stafford; and two grandchildren.

Alpheus 'Alley' Ramon Good Broadcast EngineerAlpheus "Alley" Ramon Good Jr. 54, a broadcast engineer who retired for health reasons in 2004 after 15 years with the U.S. Information Agency, died Feb. 16 at Washington Hospital Center. He had diabetes.

Before joining the agency in the late 1980s, he worked in television, spending about five years at Fox (Channel 5) and 15 with WDCA (Channel 20). While at Channel 20, he received a degree in engineering from the TESST Institute in Maryland.

Mr. Good, who lived in Germantown, was a native of East Providence, R.I. He moved to the District in 1979.

Survivors include his wife of 27 years, Deborah Good of Germantown; two children, Michelle Allen of Frederick and Mathew Good of Germantown; five brothers; and two sisters.