Mary Ester Reeder Clerk, HomemakerMary Ester Reeder, 77, a former clerk with the Fairfax County Traffic Court, died of complications of a stroke and multiple organ failure Feb. 10 at Palm Bay Community Hospital in Palm Bay, Fla., where she lived.

Mrs. Reeder, who was a twin, had nine children, including a set of triplets and two sets of twins. She loved children, one of her daughters said, and informally raised many neighborhood children who were drawn to her lively household.

She was born in Bloomington, Ind., and attended Indiana University. She married a journalist in 1959, and they lived in Indianapolis; Bismarck, N.D.; Des Moines; Independence, Mo.; and Chicago. She moved to Fairfax County in 1971 and worked for the traffic court for about 10 years.

She was a member of St. Leo the Great Catholic Church in Fairfax.

Mrs. Reeder and her family also lived overseas, in Singapore and briefly in North Africa, when her husband's work took him there. The couple retired to Tucson in 1994 and recently moved to Florida.

A son, Brian L. Reeder, died in 1960.

Survivors include her husband, Donald L. Reeder of Palm Bay; eight children, Andrew H. Reeder of Green Bay, Va., Curtis E. Reeder of Fairfax, Jeffrey L. Reeder of Strasburg, Va., Michael J. Reeder of Alexandria, Patricia M. Reeder of Minneapolis, Lynda A. Hoag of Vienna, Catherine B. Reeder and Susan L. Reeder, both of Palm Bay; a sister, Margaret Louise Freese of Fairfax; a twin brother, John H. Freese of Marshall, Mich.; and four grandchildren.

Ann Gaskins Sims Operations ManagerAnn O'Rourke Gaskins Sims, 72, former operations manager for the Georgia Pacific Corp. in Landover, died of congestive heart failure Feb. 17 at the Mariner nursing home in Laurel. She was a Laurel resident.

Mrs. Sims worked for the lumber company for 25 years, progressing from a secretary to the first female salesperson and finally to operations manager. She retired in 1992.

She was born in West Orange, N.J., married William Harry Gaskins in 1956 and lived in Baltimore, Minneapolis, Houston and Palos Verdes, Calif., over the next decade. In 1967, they settled in Laurel. She was a volunteer for St. Ann's Infant and Maternity Home in Hyattsville.

Her first husband died in 1983.

Survivors include her husband of 18 years, Bob Sims of Laurel; three children from her first marriage, William Harry Gaskins, Lori Joan Hicks and Nancy Jean Vawter, all of Laurel; a sister; seven granddaughters; and one great-granddaughter.

Robert Evans Jones GadaboutRobert Evans Jones, 83, whose multiple careers ranged from presidential aide to dog-walker to hotel manager, died of multiple organ failure Feb. 18 at the Specialty Hospital of Washington. He lived in Washington.

Living in places from Ohio to Key West and Washington to the San Francisco Bay area, Mr. Jones worked in the Kennedy administration, as a public relations executive, reporter, hotel manager, chamber of commerce official and hearings reporter for a Washington transcription service.

Mr. Jones, a native of Youngstown, Ohio, attended Hiram College until his studies were interrupted by World War II. He served in the Army, cooking bacon on a troop train, he told his nephew, Phillip Husband, after learning to operate a bazooka during basic training. After the war, he graduated from Hiram College. He received a law degree in 1949 from Washington and Lee University.

He worked at Aluminum Corporation of America and Jerrold Electronics in Chicago, Pittsburgh and New York. He moved to Washington in the mid-1950s and during the Kennedy administration was White House liaison to what is now the Department of Housing and Urban Development.

He left government service in 1963 and joined a Washington public relations firm formed by William Safire. Mr. Jones later became press secretary to Sen. Joseph S. Clark (D-Pa.) until the congressman's 1968 defeat.

Mr. Jones returned to public relations, working for a hospital in Pennsylvania. He co-owned and operated the Key West Tie Company. He also worked briefly as a reporter for the Miami Herald and the Palm Beach Daily News.

During the 1970s, he became a manager at the Frenchman's Reef Beach Resort on St. Thomas in the U.S. Virgin Islands, the Sheraton New York in Manhattan, Houston House in Texas and the Mark Hopkins Hotel in San Francisco.

Mr. Jones moved to California in 1980 and served as the executive vice president of chambers of commerce in Burlingame and Pittsburg. After leaving California in the 1990s, he lived on St. Thomas, where he managed a small resort.

Upon his return to Northern Virginia in 1998, Mr. Jones operated a pet sitting and walking business until he became a hearings reporter for the Federal News Service. He covered committee hearings in the Senate until he fully retired in 2003.

His marriages to Jane Jones and Barbara Jones ended in divorce.

He leaves no immediate survivors.

Joan McGinley VolunteerJoan McGinley, 78, a former Foreign Service employee who volunteered in the Washington area for the League of Women Voters and what is now the Associates of the American Foreign Service Worldwide, died Feb. 20 at Georgetown University Hospital. She had pancreatic cancer.

Mrs. McGinley was treasurer of the Association of American Foreign Service Women from 1979 to 1984 and chaired its annual fundraiser in 1989 and 1990.

Joan Crawley was a Los Angeles native and 1949 international relations graduate of the University of California at Los Angeles. She joined the State Department and held positions abroad with the U.S. Information Agency until retiring to marry in 1962.

She then accompanied her husband, James A. McGinley, on his Foreign Service assignments and continued volunteering abroad.

They lived in the Washington area on and off from the 1960s until moving to Jacksonville Beach, Fla., from Fairfax County in 1990.

Her husband died in 1997.

Survivors include three children, Ann McGinley of Springfield, James McGinley of Fairfax County and John McGinley of Colorado Springs; a brother; and a granddaughter.

Frank Cacciapaglia Patent ExaminerFrank Cacciapaglia Jr., 81, a primary examiner at the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, died of complications from a stroke Feb. 21 at Virginia Hospital Center in Arlington. He lived in Falls Church.

Mr. Cacciapaglia, who began working at the patent office in 1955, was one of the first examiners of DNA-related applications.

He was born in Staunton, Va., and graduated from the University of Notre Dame. After serving in the Navy, he moved to the Washington area, where he worked as a chemist for the Food and Drug Administration and the Federal Supply Service laboratory before joining the patent office. He received a law degree from George Washington University in 1963.

He served as executive secretary of the Commerce Department's Technical Advisory Board in the early 1970s and then returned to the patent office, from which he retired in 1981.

Mr. Cacciapaglia enjoyed cruises, trips to Europe and photography. He took photos of first communions at several Catholic churches in Northern Virginia in the 1950s and 1960s, and he won an international award for a photo taken in 1963 of Benjamin Black Elk, a descendant of the Sioux chief Black Elk.

During his federal career, Mr. Cacciapaglia lived in Arlington. After retiring, he also lived part of the year in Bethany Beach, Del., and Indialantic, Fla. He became a full-time resident of Falls Church in 1992.

Survivors include his wife, Kitty Cacciapaglia of Falls Church; five children, Frank A. "Tony" Cacciapaglia of West Hills, Calif., Mary Womack of Falls Church, Joseph Cacciapaglia of Vienna, Edward Cacciapaglia of Reston and Linda Sonnhalter of Leesburg; two sisters; and 11 grandchildren.

Thomas S. Scoggins IBM ManagerThomas S. Scoggins, 88, who did sales and management work for IBM in the Washington area from 1956 until his retirement in 1981, died Feb. 17 at Mercy Medical nursing and rehabilitation center in Daphne, Ala. He had coronary artery disease.

Mr. Scoggins joined IBM in 1939 and worked in offices throughout the South before settling in the Washington area. Among his assignments was helping coordinate the company's sponsorship of U.S. bicentennial events in 1976.

He was a former president and director of the Rotary Club of Washington, which honored him as "Rotarian of the Decade" in 1987. He also was a former governor of a Rotary International district that included the District and parts of Maryland. He was a Paul Harris Fellow of Rotary International.

He was a former deacon and elder of Bethesda Presbyterian Church, where he taught Sunday school.

He moved to Fairhope, Ala., from Bethesda in 1991.

Thomas Samuel Scoggins was a Nashville native and a 1939 magna cum laude economics graduate of Vanderbilt University. He was a member of Phi Beta Kappa.

He served in the Army during World War II and was initially with a machine records unit, where he helped develop a machine-automated process for forwarding mail to troops. He also served in Italy.

His decorations included the Bronze Star. He retired from the Army Reserve in 1953 as a lieutenant colonel.

His wife of 58 years, Virginia Vaughan Scoggins, died in 2002. A son, Thomas V. Scoggins, died in infancy in 1947.

Survivors include four children, Suzanne Barnhill of Fairhope, Thomas V. Scoggins II of Astoria, Ore., Samuel M. Scoggins of Cincinnati, and James Glenn Scoggins of Yokohama, Japan; two sisters; seven grandchildren; and a great-granddaughter.

Karl H.B. Berend StatisticianKarl H.B. Berend, 87, a statistician for the Air Force, died of complications from an ulcer Feb. 18 at Inova Mount Vernon Hospital. He lived in Alexandria.

Mr. Berend worked for the Air Force from 1949 until retiring from Andrews Air Force Base in 1979. He was a member of several international organizations, including the American Goethe Society, the World Affairs Council and the German American National Congress.

Mr. Berend was born in Berlin and was raised in an orphanage there. At 18, he learned that his deceased father had been a naturalized U.S. citizen and that he also was a U.S. citizen. He promptly found work on a ship and entered the United States in 1938.

After several years spent learning English and working factory jobs, he served in the Army during World War II. After the war, he graduated from the University of Baltimore and went to work as a civilian for the Air Force.

Mr. Berend was known by family and friends as an outspoken advocate of world peace and was proud of his role in getting support for the recognition of German-American Day, Oct. 6, and the construction of the German-American Friendship Garden near the Washington Monument.

His wife of 47 years, Natalie Coster Berend, died in 1990.

Survivors include three daughters, Linda Berend of Sterling and Janet Calvin and Barbara Berend, both of Alexandria; a granddaughter; and two great-grandchildren.