Traffic AdvisoriesHere are some updates on traffic operations, roadwork and planning. Weather and equipment availability can affect projects. 1. Whitehurst FreewayThe ramp leading to the Interstate 66 east exit will be closed for maintenance and emergency repairs starting at 7 p.m. Friday. Construction is scheduled to be completed by 5 a.m. March 5.
2. Q Street NWReconstruction between 11th and 14th streets is scheduled to end in November. Street parking will be limited during construction.
3. Route 50A traffic calming project has begun in Upperville. This is the first of three such projects covering 20 miles of roadway in Fauquier and Loudoun counties to slow traffic and improve safety for drivers and pedestrians.
4. Fort Hunt RoadAll lanes closed between Huntington Avenue and Route 1 from 4 a.m. to 10 p.m. Saturday to implement a traffic switch.
5. Franklin StreetAll lanes closed between Old Henry Street and Route 1 from 4 a.m. to 10 p.m. Saturday to implement a traffic switch.
6. Capital Beltway (inner loop)Ramps to Route 1 closed from 4 a.m. to 10 p.m. Saturday to implement a traffic switch.
7. Route 1 northRamps to the Capital Beltway closed from 4 a.m. to 10 p.m. Saturday to implement a traffic switch.
8. Route 1 south All lanes closed between south of Franklin Street and Huntington Avenue from 4 a.m. to 10 p.m. Saturday to implement a traffic switch.
9. Capital Beltway (outer loop)Lane and shoulder closure between Braddock Road and Van Dorn Street tomorrow through Thursday from 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. and Friday from 9:30 to noon.
Transit UpdateMetroTrack maintenance and rail car testing on the Orange, Blue, Red and Green lines today will cause delays as inbound and outbound trains take turns sharing one track. Delays will be about 20 minutes on the Orange Line and about 15 minutes on the Blue, Red and Green lines.
Tip of the WeekAAA Mid-Atlantic warns that chemicals used to treat icy roads can erode car finishes, and the motor club suggests that drivers wash their cars to maintain their looks and resale value.
-- Steven Ginsberg