Salvatore Anzalone NAVAIR Employee Salvatore Anzalone, 77, an aeronautical engineer who retired in 1986 after 32 years with the Navy Department, died of pneumonia Feb. 9 at Inova Fairfax Hospital. He had lung cancer.

Mr. Anzalone, who was better known as "Sal" or "Sam," was a Fairfax City resident since 1962.

He was born in Dunmore, Pa., and grew up in Sicily, Italy. He returned to this country at age 17 and graduated from the University of Detroit with a degree in aeronautical engineering in 1954.

That same year, he began a 32-year career with the Navy Department, initially as a flight test engineer at the Naval Air Test Center in Patuxent River and later as branch head of carrier-based fixed-wing aircraft at the Naval Air Systems Command in Crystal City.

After retiring from the government, he worked eight years for M&T Co. and Standard Tech Inc., defense contractors in Northern Virginia.

He was a member of St. Leo the Great Catholic Church in Fairfax City and a lifelong member of the Knights of Columbus. He also was a girls' soccer coach for the Fairfax Police Youth Club.

Survivors include his wife of 49 years, Arlene Anzalone of Fairfax City; four children, Grace Fredrickson of Great Falls, Alice Raja of Virginia Beach, Helen Leonard of Chantilly and John Anzalone of Fairfax City; a brother; two sisters; and three grandchildren.

Harold J. Bobys Certified Public AccountantHarold J. Bobys, 84, a certified public accountant and business leader who retired in 1982 as a managing partner in the financial and accounting firm Alexander Grant & Co., died of cancer Feb. 16 at his home in Washington.

Mr. Bobys was a native Washingtonian who graduated from Roosevelt High School and George Washington University, where he majored in business administration.

After serving in the Navy during World War II, he returned to the District to start his career as a public accountant. He became a founding partner of Bobys, Noble & Brotman, which in 1968 merged with Alexander Grant & Co.

Mr. Bobys was elected to the executive committee of Alexander Grant & Co., and served as its chairman before retiring in 1982.

He was past president of the D.C. Institute of Certified Public Accountants and the D.C. Board of Accountancy.

He also was past chairman of the board of Greater Washington Business Center; a former member of the U.S. Chamber of Commerce's Council of Small Business and tax committee; past president of the Woodmont Country Club, where he often played tennis; and a member of the dean's alumni advisory board of GWU's school of government and business administration.

Mr. Bobys lectured on pharmaceutical accounting and other topics at GWU and conferences of business organizations. He also wrote articles on time management and understanding financial statements.

Survivors include his wife of 64 years, Anita Bacher Bobys of Washington; two sons, Neal B. Bobys of Rockville and Richard Bobys of Washington; five grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.

James H. Durkin AttorneyJames H. Durkin, 89, an attorney who worked for the Justice Department and railroad companies, died of kidney failure Feb. 18 at Inova Loudoun Hospital in Leesburg.

Mr. Durkin was a native Washingtonian who graduated from Gonzaga College High School and Georgetown University, where he also received a law degree in 1947.

He served in the Army during World War II as an investigator with the Counter Intelligence Corps. After the atomic bomb was dropped on Hiroshima, he traveled to Japan to interview suspected war criminals.

From 1947 to 1960, he worked in the Justice Department's antitrust division, investigating and prosecuting antitrust cases, counseling agencies and drafting comments on proposed legislation.

His professional honors included the Attorney General's Certificate of Award for Meritorious Achievement.

Mr. Durkin moved from Washington to Chicago in 1962 and later to St. Louis, where he worked for Union Pacific Railroad until his retirement in 1986.

He lived in Ijamsville for about a year before settling in Hollywood, Fla., in 1987. There, he volunteered with a health insurance assistance program for low-income elderly residents.

In 2004, he moved to Leisure World of Lansdowne in Loudoun County.

Survivors include his wife, Barbara Durkin of Lansdowne; a daughter, Mary M. Durkin of Fairfax; and two brothers, Vincent Durkin of South Bethany Beach, Del., and Donald Durkin of Bethesda.

A son, Kevin C. Durkin, an Army veteran who was paralyzed in the first Gulf War, died in 1994.

Jill Carlson DiCarli ArtistJill Elynne Carlson DiCarli, 58, an artist who lived in Italy for more than 30 years, died Feb. 9 at her home in Pedavena, Italy, of complications from diabetes.

Ms. DiCarli was born in Muncie, Ind., and grew up in Kensington and overseas, where her father was a U.S. diplomat. She attended a Swedish elementary school for five years and also lived in Iceland.

She graduated from Walter Johnson High School in Bethesda and from the Corcoran College of Art and Design. She first lived in Italy in 1973, when she had a summer-school scholarship. Two years later, she returned to Italy and was married. She and her husband had a home in Venice and traveled widely in North and South America and in Asia.

Ms. DiCarli was an abstract painter and graphic artist and also taught at an art school in Venice. She enjoyed skiing and boating.

Survivors include her husband of 31 years, Silvio DiCarli of Venice and Pedavena; her parents, Lawrence Carlson and Mildred Morse Carlson of Silver Spring; and a brother, Bryn A. Carlson of Sudbury, Mass.