The month-long investigation into alleged irregularities in Alexandria's public works department resulted yesterday in criminal charges against two city employes and disciplinary action against 11 others, city officials said yesterday.

As a result of the investigation, Alexandria City Manager Douglas Harman said yesterday that beefed up security at the city's maintenance shop as well as tighter controls on purchasing, inventory control and equipment usage, have been implemented.

John Brown, a former supervisor with the city's Department of Transportation and Environmental Services, was arrested yesterday and charged with embezzlement of city property. Brown was fired from his job Aug. 17, for allegedly using a city crew and city equipment to pave a private business firm's driveway.

If convicted of the misdemeanor, Brown could face up to 12 months in jail and a fine of $1,000.

Paul Jones, another employe of the City Transportation and Environmental Services department, was indicted yesterday by an Alexandria grand jury on two counts of obtaining automobile parts under false pretenses.

Jones was accused of obtaining a carburetor valued at more than $100 last Oct. 3 from another man with intent to defraud. The felony charge carries a maximum penalty of 20 years in jail and a $1,000 fine.

Jones also was charged with obtaining a car manifold under similar circumstances. The misdemeanor carries a maximum penalty of 12 months in jail and a $1,000 fine.

In a memo to the Alexandria City Council, released yesterday, Harman said, "I am confident that the majority of our city employes are totally honest and deplore the improper acts which have recently been brought to light."

Harman said the investigation revealed "the need to revise security and inventory control procedures" in the city's maintenance shop and yard area, where maintenance equipment and city supplies are kept. The city has hired a private firm for around-the-clock security, he added.

Harman said the disciplinary action against the city employes range from five-day suspension to the firing of Brown. He declined to name any other employes.

"We've tried to coordinate administrative actions with any criminal action by police and prosecutors," Harman said yesterday. "The investigation is continuing."