As a longtime season ticket holder, I have attended my last football game at Redskins Stadium ["Opening Day Nightmare," front page, Sept. 13]. Let me tell you about my experience on Sept. 12.

11 a.m.: I leave Vienna and head for the stadium with my husband and son. First we hit "Beltway Hell!" Traffic is backed up to Telegraph Road, although the traffic reports said Branch Avenue.

12:50 p.m.: We can see the stadium, but the cars are not moving. We are in the wrong lane for the gold lot (not that it mattered) because there are no signs at the first turn. The police are not moving traffic.

1:05 p.m.: We are directed into a gold lot, which appears to be full of red tickets as well. There are no spots. At 1:15 we make our own space.

1:25 p.m.: We enter the stadium and proceed to the club level. The escalator guard tells us we have to go back to the other escalator because they want to close the one we are about to get on.

1:30 p.m.: We arrive at our seats. At the end of the first quarter we wait 20 minutes in line to buy a beer, water and a sandwich. Once at the counter, we are told they have none of the above. We go back and order from a server with a hand-held computer. The sun is so bright he can't see the buttons. It takes 10 minutes to order a beer, water and french fries -- $16.50. Then we wait 15 minutes for them to be delivered by two different servers.

Eight hours later, we return home with headaches, hot, hungry and irritated. To quote my husband, "We have a big-screen TV; I don't need this!"



I'm not surprised that only 5,480 fans -- a mere 7 percent of those attending the game -- used the $2 shuttle buses run by Metro between the stadium and the parking lots at the Addison Road Metro Station. Metro and the Redskins' Web site offered little or no help to fans seeking alternative transportation means.

On the morning of the season opener against Dallas, I found a "directions" page on the Redskins' Web site that included only driving directions and nothing on Metro access. Given the disastrous history of major traffic problems getting to and from the stadium, how in the world did evolve without any clear mention of mass transportation options?

I called all the Metro lines I could find, but heard no specific information about travel to the stadium. So I drove, alone.

Lack of planning, coordination and communication by the Redskins and Metro is to blame when lone fans commute. The Baltimore Ravens inform their fans about travel options quite nicely on their Web site. Is there a Redskins' game plan outside the stadium?



Believe it or not, The Post's story understated the traffic problem at the Dallas game. We left home as usual at 11 a.m. so we could arrive an hour early. We did not get into our seats until two minutes before the end of the first half.

When we finally got into the parking area, we noticed that a huge area that had been red parking was now marked gold. On the other side of the road the cash lot had been expanded, taking more red parking. Every car that I saw had a parking pass (red or gold). Surely Mr. Snyder knows how many parking spaces he had and how many passes he sold. It does not matter how many cars showed up. Mr. Snyder sold parking passes, and there were not enough spaces for the passes that he sold. We deserve a refund!



Here's one part of the parking problem at Redskins Stadium that can be fixed quite easily. A friend and I were amazed that dozens of spaces in Lot A were appropriated by tailgate parties.

I suppose it's acceptable to cramp the lanes with coolers, grills and bulging bellies. But many of the revelers put their gear in empty spaces beside and behind their vehicles, then plopped there in lawn chairs, in effect daring anyone to try to park. We eventually found an empty space. Upon leaving at the end of the day, I removed a beer bottle wedged under one of our tires. A few rules and some enforcement for the tailgate parties would help.