Prince Goergia's County Police arrested four University of Maryland students, including an All-American lineman on the university footballteam, after an early morning off-campus fracas in College Park during which police said one of the youths attacked a police officer.

A police spokesman said that the two county policemen who intially attempted to arrest the youths were jumped and beaten and had to call for assistance. One police officer's jacket, hat, and badge were taken from him during the melle, the spokesman said.

Among those arrested and charged in the incident was Joseph Patrick Campbell 21, a 6-6, 255-pound senior defensive football tackle who has lettered at that position since his freshman year and was named to several All-American teams this year.

Campbell was charged with disorderly conduct and resisting arrest, according to police.

Police said Donald Erick (Donnie) Dotter, 28, a 6-2, 195-pound sophomore football wingback, was charged with assault on a police officer. Arin Warren Self, 22, of 200 Northwest Silver Spring, was charged with disorderly conduct. Craig John Hartman, 20, of 4717 Oliver St. in Riverdale, was charged with two counts of destruction of property.

Police said the youths were taken to the Hyattsville district statiion, booked, and released. It could not be learned whether all were released on their personal recognizance or on bond.

Prince Goerge's County police Pfc. James Passagno was treated for abrasions to the hands and head at Prince George's Hospital and released. Pfc. Charles Cooke was treated for a confusion of the right eye at Leland Memorial Hospital and released.

The police spokesman gave this account of the incident:

Shortly afte two a.m. Pfc. Passagno on a routine one-man patrol noticed a group of disorderly youths in front of the Rendezvous Restaurant at the intersection of Route 1 and Knox Road. Passagno waited for a back-up unit - Pfc. Cooke - to arrive as is routine in such incidents.

When the two attempted to arrest the youths they were set upon, but managed to radio a "signal 13-policeman in trouble" - call. The nightstick of the first officer to respond, patrolman Gary Shimp, was stolen from his cruiser while he was involved in arrested the youths.

Finally, after 12 police cruisers arrived at the scene, the disturbance was quelled. During the melee, police said Hartman broke the light on the top of a police cruiser, then late broke several chairs in the lockup of the Hyattsville station.

Campbell would not answer a reporter's telephone station.

Arin Self, a four-year veteran of the U.S. Marine Corps who said he's attending the university on G. I. Bill benefits, denied he was guilty of any infraction during a telephone interview.

Self said he was on his way to a nearby hamburger stand when he momentarily delayed obeying a policeman's order to move on and was arrested.