Four of a dozen Hanafi Muslims who allegedly held 124 persons hostage at three Washington locations this week, leaving one dead and several wounded, were free yesterday without money bond pending grand jury action.

Among the four was Hamaas Abdul Khaalis, the Hanafis' 54-year-old leader, who was set free at a predawn bail hearing before D.C. Superior Court Chief Judge Harold H. Greene, in keeping with a government promise made to secure the release of the hostages.

Later yesterda, a second man was released on his personal recognizance, two others were released in the third-party custody of a rehabilitation agency, six were held on $50,000 surety bonds eachand two on $75,000 bonds.

U.S. Attorney Earl J. Silbert, who appeared at both bail hearings, said, the defendants had "imposed a reign of terror on their hostages" and said that felony murder indictments would be sought in all cases.

Yesterday, all were charged only with kidnaping while armed, and Silbert personally urged that all but Khaalis be held on $100,000 bond each.

In Khaalis case, he said, the government had agreed not to seek a money or surety bond "because of the danger at that time - threats that heads would roll, one person murdered, threats that blood would run ankle deep."

"That was the reason we agreed, to get those hostages out of there," the chief prosecutor said. "That had nothing to do with what we thought the bail ought to be, only to save human lives."

The defendants - except for Khaalis, who already had been released - appeared one by one before Superior Court Judge H. Carl Moultrie I, a soft-spoken man who was once president of the Washington chapter of the NAACP.

The reasons for the release of four men without bond had as much to do with who they are as with the law the judge was bound to follow. The bail reform act requires only personal bond, involving no money, when a defendant has community ties, a minor prior criminal record or none at all, and is considered by the judge as unlikely to flee before trial.

Only two of the men had prior criminal convictions. Almost all are family men. One had attended West Point Prep School. They stood erectly yesterday, quiet and respectful of the judge. They were men whose lives were revealed in court and other records to be closely interwined in occupation, address and lifestyles.

Their bond hearing was held in Courtroom 11 on the second floor of a Superior Court building, the same room where three years ago a group of Philadelphia Black Muslims stood trial for the murders of seven Hanafis ranging in age from 9 days to 25 years.

For those crimes, committed at the Hanafi house at 7700 16th St. NW, five men have been convicted, one defendant was acquitted and still another was granted a new trial. Justice Hamaas Abdul Khaalis and his followers contended repeatedly in recent days, had not been done and retribution must be paid.

The tense courtroom atmosphere of the first Hanafi trial was repeated yesterday as those who had sought revenge and redress, themselves stood before the bar of justice.

As was the case during the murder trial, all those entering the courtroom had to pass through metal detectors, and more than a dozen deputy federal marshals stood guard around the room. The courtroom was filled with representatives of the media, prosecutors, lawyers and some veteran trial-watchers.

Although the Hanafi defendants live in middle-class and upper-class neighborhoods and almost all are employed, they were represented yesterday by court-appointed attorneys and public defenders.

The earlier half-hour hearing at which Hamaas Khaalis was released began at 5:10 a.m. in another courtroom in another building, before a group that included 50 reporters, at least 21 deputy marshals, Deputy Attorney General-designate Peter Flaherty, Silbert and the two defense lawyers.

Silbert asked for several conditions, which Judge Greene agreed to impose. They prohibit Khaalis from traveling outside the District, require him to surrender his passport by Monday, effectively prevent him from making public statements and require that he get rid of all firearms. One prosecutor said later that the conditions amounted to "house arrest."

Judge Moultrie, in setting bond several hours later for the other 11 defendants, ordered all of them not to change, their facial appearance - particularly beards or haircuts in any way. Moultrie took the step after Assistant U.S. Attorney Mark H. Tuohey III noted that identification could be an issue with the various witnesses involved.

Silbert rose twice during the procession of defendants that marched through Moultrie's courtroom over a two-hour period. In both instances, argued that the likeihood of flight existed despite the community ties that the defendants had.

"No human being, no judge, "silbert said, "can look on this case without horror and contempt for the acts that happened to these innocent victims."

Moultrie, saying he was mindful of both the nature of the crimes and the law, set bond as follows: Released on personal bond or third-party custody were three brothers who allegedly held hostages at the Islamic Center. They are Samuel L. (Abdul A1-Qawee) Young, 22, of 7700 16th St. Nw, and Clyde Clemon (Abdul A1-Rahman) Young, 37, and Philip Alvin Young, 26, both of Wheaton.

Held on $50,000 bonds were Abdual Muzikir, 22, of 1614 Myrtle St. Nw, and Abdul Nuh, 28, of 7700 16th St. NW, both arrested at the District Building, and Hilvan Jude (Abdul Hamid) Finch, 22, of 7700 16th St. NW, and Clyde Clemon (Abdul A1-Rahman) Young, 37, and Philip Alvin Young, 26, both of Wheaton.

Held on $50,000 bond were Abdul Muzikir, 22, of 1614 Myrtle St. NW, and Abdul Nuh, 28, of 7700 16th St. NW, both arrested at the District Building, and Hilvan jude (Abdul Hamid) Finch, 22, of 7700 16th St. NW, and Abdul Adam, 32; Marvin (Abdul Shaaeed) Sadler, 23, and Nelson (Abdul Razzaaq) McQueen, Jr., 23, all of Wheaton, and all arrested at B'rai B'rith headquarters.

Held on $75,000 bonds each were Abdul Salaam, 31, of Wheaton, and Abdul Latif, 33, of 1436 Tuckerman St. NW, both arrested at B'Nai B'rith.

The defendants make up an apparently close-knit fraternity of men whose past and present addresses and occupations occasionally overlap. Five of them have, at various times, driven taxicabs for the same or related companies. At least on has reportedly worked in the Georgetown jewelry shop of Abdul Aziz.

Aziz is the son-in-law of Hamaas Abdul Khaalis. He did not participate in the hostage-taking; but held frequent, impromptu press conferences during the long affair outside the Hanafi residence on 16th Street.

While his compatriots were in court yesterday, Aziz was back at his Wisconsin Avenue shop after a two-day absence. "I have a family to support, and I just want to go about my business now," he said.

Among those supporting themselves and their families by hacking the Young brothers, two of whom live at 11223 Bybee Ct., Wheaton, according to bail bond reports.

Records show that Clyde Young has lived at the Maryland address for a year with his wife, and has been a resident of the Washington area for the last 36 years. He is a taxi driver by occupation, as are his two brothers.

Clyde Young has a 12th-grade education and has no prior convictions, according to records. He was released in third-party custody.

Phillip Young, who lived at 3034 Brightseat Rd., Lanham, until he and his wife moved in with his brother, also does not have a record of any convictions and was released in the custody of a third party.

The third brother, Samuel, who also was listed at the Wheaton address until he moved to the Hanafi house eight months ago, was freed on a conditional release that requires him to report weekly to the D.C. Bail Agency, according to the report.

Beverly Gural, who lives at 11225 Bybee Ct., Wheaton, next door to the Youngs, said she was "shocked and distressed" that her neighbors had allegedly participated in the recent takeovers.

"We knew they were Muslims. They were very graceful, polite and pleasant people," said Mrs. Gural. "We never actually met them, but it seemed like several families in the house. There were some children. The men all drove cabs."

According to bail bond reports, Abdul Muzikir has been a resident of the Distict for one year. He is a former cab driver, currently unemployed.

Abdul Nuh, according to the reports, ha slived with his wife at the Myrtle Street address for two years. He is a life-long resident of the District. He has a bachelor of science degree and is a substitute teacher in the D.C. public school system. Nuh has no convictions.

George Wilford Smith, also known as Abdul Adam, was arrested at B'nai B'rtih. For the past four years, Smith has lived periodically in Maryland and the District. He began driving a D.C. taxi two months ago. Before that hes taxi two months ago. Before that hes drove a taxi for a Silver Spring cab company, according to the agency report.

The District, He began driving a D.C.

In 1965, Smith was convicted of unauthorized use of a vehicle.

Abdul Latif, was held on a $75,000 bond, in part because of prior convictions in 1966 on charges of possession of a dangerous weapon and grand larceny, for which he was given probation. He was found not guilty by reason of insanity in a bank robbery in the same year.

Marvin Sadler has no record of convictions. He has a 12th-grade education.

Nelson McQueen is facing a petty larceny charge in Maryland, the bail agency said. McQueen was held on $50,000 bond.

Clarence White has been a cab driver for two years. He was held on $75,000 bond because of prior convictions for grand larceny, burglary and possession of a deadly weapon.

After high school, Hildan Finch attended a West Point prep school. In 1973, he returned to Washington to work as a guard at the Hanafi Center.