The State Department's specialist in counterterrorism said yesterday he still expects Arab terrorist retalliation for the Israeli raid on Entebbe last July which freed hijacked hostages and killed their captors.
Douglas, the specialist, said in an interview, "I'm afraid we're overdue for another one, in retaliation for Entebbe. We assume they will try for revenge and I expected it before now."
State Department officials are also concerned with the expiration April 15 of the Cuban-U.S. antihijacking treaty, although Fidel Castro's government has indicated it will continue to abide by the treaty terms.
One officials said, "We'll probably have to have a couple of hijackings to prove it." The treaty was renounced by Castro last October after the sabotage of a Cuban airliner, for which he blamed the Central Intelligence Agency.
Heck, career diplomat with the rank of ambassador, said one of the reasons for the lack of revenge so far for Entebbe may have been the civil war in Lebanon.
"It takes a lot of resources to mount a large terrorist operation. You need people, equipment and lost of time to case the joint. The Arab Middle East is the major exporter of terrorism, and lately most of their energy goes toward rapping each other."